What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeo already edgy about next season's derbies

Spike

First Grade
It's far too early to be even thinking about playing a game of rugby league but CYMS' centre Justin Yeo is already edgy about season 2004's local derbies.
Yeo was aware that Dubbo Macquarie, who have struggled in recent seasons, are back in training and have made some quality signings and he believes it's the best thing for the game.
"It's great for rugby league in Dubbo to have two good football clubs," Yeo said.
"To be honest local derbies have been a pretty tame affair in Dubbo for the past few years but I'm itching for next year's.
"I'm told Jim Kelly is a pretty intelligent man who will get results. It's the best thing for them and it's the best thing for Group 11.
"If both Dubbo clubs are strong then it's good for the group. It builds interest in the game and gets people to the grounds if they know they're going to see a close, tough game of footy."
Neither of the two local derbies in Dubbo last season were great games.
CYMS won the first 70-20 at No 1 Oval then took a scrappy 38-16 victory at Apex Oval.
Macquarie have been training for a couple of weeks while CYMS began last week.
"It's good just turning up and being told what to do," Yeo said.
"Rod Frail, Patto (Brett Patterson) and Bernard (Wilson) did everything.
"Everyone is just so positive. I think it's because there's so much expectation on the club.
"When we won the premiership I didn't feel like it was a great achievement, I felt relieved. Everyone expected us to win and we did.
"When you see a guys like Wes Maas and Luke Jenkins just busting themselves at training everyone knows that they can't slacken off.
"It's a pretty professional attitude to have for a Group 11 club."
Yeo was troubled by ankle injuries last season and he limped through the grand final except when scoring four fantastic tries.
CYMS have retained all of last year's team but will be under pressure with five or six talented juniors expected to pressure for spots in the starting 13.
[/b]