What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yet another NSW team thread

macavity

Referee
well we are one day away.

I think its almost settled on what THEY will pick - but this is what I would pick...

1. Gidley
2. Minichiello
3. King
4. Lyon (though not 100% convinced)
5. El Masri

6. Mullen
7. Kimmorley

8. Bailey
9. Buderus (c)
10. Kite
11. Mason
12. Hindmarsh
13. Hoffman

14. Farah
15. Simpson
16. Laffranchi
17. White

Gidley is THE form fullback in the comp, Farah will spark off the bench, and Mullen is the best 5/8 NSW have - he is just playing out of position at the moment.

I think he would be a perfect foil for Kimmorley - use his running game and be the perfect link man.

I still think we are struggling for 2 quality and in-form centres, and im not 100% on Ryan - I would definately have Hoffman there.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hoffman deserves to be there, gives you versatility- can cover centres very well as backrow.

macavity said:
well we are one day away.

I think its almost settled on what THEY will pick - but this is what I would pick...

1. Gidley
2. Minichiello
3. King
4. Lyon (though not 100% convinced)
5. El Masri

6. Mullen
7. Kimmorley

8. Bailey
9. Buderus (c)
10. Kite
11. Mason
12. Hindmarsh
13. Hoffman

14. Farah
15. Simpson
16. Laffranchi
17. White

Gidley is THE form fullback in the comp, Farah will spark off the bench, and Mullen is the best 5/8 NSW have - he is just playing out of position at the moment.

I think he would be a perfect foil for Kimmorley - use his running game and be the perfect link man.

I still think we are struggling for 2 quality and in-form centres, and im not 100% on Ryan - I would definately have Hoffman there.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

skeepe

Immortal
macavity said:
you raiders fans have a problem with reality dont you...

I don't know about that, but you seem to have a problem with the reality that Todd Carney absolutely schooled that wanker Mullen the last time the two met. Carney is easily NSW's best 5/8th option going forward. Mullen will just be another Brett Finch.

Scott

Bench
skeepe said:
I don't know about that, but you seem to have a problem with the reality that Todd Carney absolutely schooled that wanker Mullen the last time the two met. Carney is easily NSW's best 5/8th option going forward. Mullen will just be another Brett Finch.

Oh dear.....

macavity

Referee
yet he isnt being talked about for Origin

wonder why that is

maybe its because he isnt as good..... :shock:

skeepe

Immortal
macavity said:
yet he isnt being talked about for Origin

wonder why that is

maybe its because he isnt as good..... :shock:

No, it's because he plays for Canberra. Canberra have some players who are far superior to others mentioned for rep duties, and always have had. But because they play for Canberra they're not considered.

If it were the other way around, and Mullen played for Canberra and Carney for Newcastle, there wouldn't even be a discussion on who should be the NSW half. Carney would be considered so far ahead of the field it's not funny. But he wears lime green on the weekend.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Minichiello
King
Cooper
Lyon
El Masri
Anasta
Kimmorley
Bailey
Farah
Kite
Mason
Hindmarsh
Ryan

Gidley
Tupou
White
Simpson

Im absolutely stunned that Mullen is in contention. Yes he's talented, but so is Carney. They're both talented young playmakers who aren't yet ready for Origin but as usual the selectors have to make themselves look like geniuses by pulling a rabbit out of the hat...kind of like they did last year by selecting Gaz at 5/8 for the 3rd game which was a rousing success lol At this stage Kimmorley would be a far better option.

At hooker i think Farah is a must. Ofcourse he wont be selected over Buderus but he is far, far more dangerous in attack IMO. Bedsy has never done anything noteworthy at Origin level and given NSW lack of quality playmaking options i would pick by far the best attacking no.9 in the game - Farah.

Tommy Smith

Referee
skeepe said:
No, it's because he plays for Canberra. Canberra have some players who are far superior to others mentioned for rep duties, and always have had. But because they play for Canberra they're not considered.

If it were the other way around, and Mullen played for Canberra and Carney for Newcastle, there wouldn't even be a discussion on who should be the NSW half. Carney would be considered so far ahead of the field it's not funny. But he wears lime green on the weekend.
Although you are biased, i have absolutely no doubt that you are correct. Would players such as David Stagg and Casey MaGuire have ever played Origin if they played for the Rabbitohs instead of Brisbane? Of course not...but because they play/played for the Broncos they have extra publicity and ride on the 'combinations' coat-tail and get a free ride into Origin.

Similarly Mullen is very much the flavour of the month having taken over Joey's no.7 spot at the Knights. Yes he's certainly played well but there's a struck match between him and Carney at this stage of their careers. Only difference is that one has more publicity, the stepping into Joey's shoes factor and maybe even the combinations coat-tail ride thanks to Bedsy being the no.9; whereas Carney plays for the team who everyone expected to finish last and receives no free-to-air coverage.

macavity

Referee
Tommy Smith said:
Bedsy has never done anything noteworthy at Origin level

WTF... :crazy:

he has been close to NSW best on ground every game he has played.

fair dinkum, do you watch games through your eyelids or something...

Balmain_Boy

macavity said:
WTF... :crazy:

he has been close to NSW best on ground every game he has played.

fair dinkum, do you watch games through your eyelids or something...

Buderus has played very well in Origin, but that is fair dinkum bullsh*t.

Tommy Smith

Referee
He didnt suggest he's had a bad origin game. He was merely refuting your absurd claim that he has been close to NSW best on ground every game he has played.

Bedsy has always been good and dependable in origin, occasioanlly he has been great (ie game 1 2003, Joey's come back game in Game 2 of i think the 05 series) but i just think NSW would benefit more from Farah's inclusion, who despite getting far less credit, is absolutely on fire and the heart and soul of the Tigers attack. He must also be close to the top of the DallyM voting.

macavity

Referee
I agree that Farah is a gun

he should be halfback or on the bench, with Gidley at fullback.

I also agree that he will get there and be the blues hooker/halfback/impact/something for a long time.

but to dump your captain and an integral part of the team, who "has never had a bad game" (ie has been a fantastic origin player for a long time) for a player who may or may not gel with the blues attack, may or may not make his tackles, and may or may not simply be over-awed by the whole thing.... that is a big call.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Tommy Smith said:
Similarly Mullen is very much the flavour of the month having taken over Joey's no.7 spot at the Knights. Yes he's certainly played well but there's a struck match between him and Carney at this stage of their careers. Only difference is that one has more publicity, the stepping into Joey's shoes factor and maybe even the combinations coat-tail ride thanks to Bedsy being the no.9; whereas Carney plays for the team who everyone expected to finish last and receives no free-to-air coverage.

agreed
Not much between mullen and carney atm, for mine, carney has his nose in front, but thats about it...

Latest posts