What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You can’t coach speed. The 2018 fullback solution.

j0nesy

Bench
The more I think about Field playing fullback for us the more I like it. We may have a superstar on our hands. I want him playing a full game each week in reserves, until he is ready. I don't want him sitting on the sideline for 70 minutes and getting a 10 minute run each week. I would not even try to sign another fullback for next year, I would pin my faith in Field and Dufty. I would however want to get another good prop to replace Packer. I think Field could be a sensation playing behind a dominate pack and dominate pair of halves. I think we are in the right position to blood either Field or Dufty.

100% agree, not sure whether it's going to be Field or Dufy at fullback. I'd throw Mann in there as a chance too.

denis preston

First Grade
I like the look of Field too. Marsters won the game for 20's on Friday. And apparently, Dufty had a blinder for the Cutters yesterday, And we've all seen what Kurt Mann is capable of.

There is a vacancy at FB next year, so you don't think these guys will be champing at the bit for the rest of the year?

With these guys as options, not sure why people are surprised we didn't offer Duges a 4 year deal.

Exactly . problem is will Mary have the balls to play them ? Surely the club will nudge him to be a little more adventurous in his selections and interchange uses .

Incidentally great post Rob. .

Cronk at 5/8 Hunt at halfback and Widdop to fullback sounds like a potent combo to link up with Lafai and get McDonald to realise his potential and an always pumped JamesGraham to compliment our awesome pack then we would be back on top for years, just a thought or maybe wishful thinking , can we even afford Graham and Cronk
The simple answer is NO.
Dreams are free though...

Saintsified

Bench
Good post Rob, you're spot on about speed as a weapon and rightly talk about experience that Nighty has too.

No offence, but no player has the right to decide what's best for the team or club - not even club legends like our Nighty.
Lockyer did, Fitler did, Cameron Smith will, Gallen will, many others have and will continue retire on their own terms, Nightingale WILL..

Last edited:
Have tremendous respect for Flo.

He is a club legend.

Solid as a rock, smart, tough, durable. Is elusive and knows how to cross the stripe.

Excellent public speaker. Would love to see him in a media role next year. Lacks the speed to be the full back solution. Perfect as the temporary solution. Not a long term solution. Time is approaching for change. May be offered a contract for 1-2 years.

Would hate to see him play one season too many. Have many great memories of his contribution to the red V. It would hurt to see him embarrassed by younger faster opposition.

Reactions: Qdf

Frank Facer

First Grade
Exactly . problem is will Mary have the balls to play them ? Surely the club will nudge him to be a little more adventurous in his selections and interchange uses .

I agree, Field and or Dufty should have already have been given a run at fullback this year with Dugan being out injured.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I really hope that Mary plays Field at fullback in round 15 when Dugan is on origin duty. Frizzell could be the only other player missing, so we will be close to full strength.

giboz71

First Grade

Well the elephant in the room is that Mary's future is still undecided. And he has declared he is coching for this year only and not looking fo the future .

Ideally, with the Origin period and weakened squads, it would be an ideal time to give Field and Dufty some serious game time and trial them at FB.

Remains to be seen if Mary does this.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I think that Dufty, Field and Mann should all be
in the starting team or on the bench in 2018.
I would play them at fullback, wing and centre respectively. They all possess great speed which the team
currently lacks.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Well the elephant in the room is that Mary's future is still undecided. And he has declared he is coching for this year only and not looking fo the future .

Ideally, with the Origin period and weakened squads, it would be an ideal time to give Field and Dufty some serious game time and trial them at FB.

We should fair quite well during the origin period this year with the only two players likely to be missing being Dugan and Frizzell. I would have liked Mary to take a risk on one of the young guys at fullback whist Dugan has been out, but alas, it didn't occur. Perhaps it is the fact his contract hasn't been sorted for 2018, hence he is not really looking beyond 2017. Hopefully for origin we get to see Dufty/Field/Mann/Marsters get a chance for at least a full 80 stint at fullback not only to look to next year, but also for finals time and in case of injury.

Reactions: Qdf

Weston30010

Juniors
I really hope that Mary plays Field at fullback in round 15 when Dugan is on origin duty. Frizzell could be the only other player missing, so we will be close to full strength.
I think you'll find one of them might get a run in round 13 after Origin 1, because I'll be surprised if Dugan can back up.

possm

Coach
The more I think about Field playing fullback for us the more I like it. We may have a superstar on our hands. I want him playing a full game each week in reserves, until he is ready. I don't want him sitting on the sideline for 70 minutes and getting a 10 minute run each week. I would not even try to sign another fullback for next year, I would pin my faith in Field and Dufty. I would however want to get another good prop to replace Packer. I think Field could be a sensation playing behind a dominate pack and dominate pair of halves. I think we are in the right position to blood either Field or Dufty.
To ask yourself what is going on with Mary and his fullback selection. Some say he is taking the safe option and others say the cupboard is bare. I say that Mary is pissed off with Millward for not trying to keep Dugan. Mary really wanted Dugan to remain.

Field is untested and so we don't really know until he is tested. Right now he plays five-eighth in reserve grade and Dufty has the fullback job however, Millward wants Field at fullback and will look outside the Club for a fullback before extending Mann.

In my opinion, Mann is the most likely but is up against an internal dispute between Millward and Mary. If Dufty's defence was up to it, Dugty would be the next in line for the Dragon's NRL fullback position.

FlameThrower

Bench

You'd think he's proven enough by now. And trust me I wanted him gone last year. I don't see any viable options here in OZ and no way should we go back to square one with another NRL rookie.
The safe bet is a 2 year deal with another year in Clubs favour based on results. He will have a great squad in 2018 and 2017 are over achieving on pre season expectations. Also please check McGregor in the Warrior V Dragons - team song video - the guy loves the Dragons.., I think he has done a pretty good job so far ..and I'm happy to say that.