What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You can’t coach speed. The 2018 fullback solution.

possm

Coach
You'd think he's proven enough by now. And trust me I wanted him gone last year. I don't see any viable options here in OZ and no way should we go back to square one with another NRL rookie.
The safe bet is a 2 year deal with another year in Clubs favour based on results. He will have a great squad in 2018 and 2017 are over achieving on pre season expectations. Also please check McGregor in the Warrior V Dragons - team song video - the guy loves the Dragons.., I think he has done a pretty good job so far ..and I'm happy to say that.
Burnt from the results of 2015, I don't see the rush in making a decision on Mary. I believe end of season is the time to consider his merits for retention. I am still not sold on Mary's selection decisions and bench management. We need to see his ability to work with Dugan and Packer during the reamainder of the season and take a close look at Mary's ability to bring forward juniors who may be in line for the vacated fullback and prop positions.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
His official cap figure is 150k at the Dogs. Came from a cap figure of 800k at the Eels. How do they do it?

You'll need to buy .....
Uncle Nicks Cap Capers,
Volume 1-7, Funk & Wagnalls
Hardcover Edition.
Currently in their third print so obviously other clubs have been using them.

nontime111

Juniors
I just watched the Warriors game and my opinion is that MANN is SO good HE should be the FB for 2018.....Hes a LOCKYER in waiting! then in 3 or 4 years when Widdop retires he should slip into 5/8 to accompany Hunt

Sign MANN now hes so young and ready to explode if given regular game time in a crucial position like FB

I just watched the Warriors game and my opinion is that MANN is SO good HE should be the FB for 2018.....Hes a LOCKYER in waiting! then in 3 or 4 years when Widdop retires he should slip into 5/8 to accompany Hunt

Sign MANN now hes so young and ready to explode if given regular game time in a crucial position like FB
The discussion regarding which position Mann plays is not important right now. The important things is to get him signed as soon as possible.
The guy has been incredibly patient - he has been dicked around while Mary has persisted with other less talented players.
Now that the Dugan saga is over, let's make Mann a priority.

possm

Coach

Problem is that Millward has not made provision for the retention of Mann. He has Field at fullback and who knows what he has in mind for Dufty.

However, you're correct. If we are not going to fill the fullback spot with a seasoned international, Mann looks the goods. Mary has not bothered to test him there this year and instead has just mucked him around with short stints in various positions.

It's time to test our internal options at fullback by moving Dugan to right centre for the remainder of the year. Mann first, then Dufty and then Field.

I really don't know why Millward is chasing Walker. We have our halves pairing and we have more centres than we need. He would only ever be a stop gap fullback at best. Mann is the Dragons Walker so it must mean that Millward wants to let Mann go.

j0nesy

Bench
I'd re-sign Mann on utility value alone. He can cover 5/8th, fullback, centre and wing.

Mary needs to give Dufty and Field a good crack at fullback, but he won't as next year is not a concern to him given he has no contract.

Mary needs to make better use of his bench utility, but he won't because he is hyper-focussed on his forward rotation.

I'm not quite sure how the Mann/Feild/Dufty puzzle will unfold. But all three players show a lot of potential, only time and plenty of opportunities will tell.

possm

Coach
I'd re-sign Mann on utility value alone. He can cover 5/8th, fullback, centre and wing.

Mary needs to give Dufty and Field a good crack at fullback, but he won't as next year is not a concern to him given he has no contract.

Mary needs to make better use of his bench utility, but he won't because he is hyper-focussed on his forward rotation.

I'm not quite sure how the Mann/Feild/Dufty puzzle will unfold. But all three players show a lot of potential, only time and plenty of opportunities will tell.
So why is Millward chasing Walker?
We have 3 young contenders for fullback, Mann/Field/Dufty.
We have young wingers and two current first grade wingers in Macdonald and Nightingale.
We have plenty of centres, Lafia, Milne, Aitken, Herbert ........
We have our halves, Hunt, Widdop, Hutch, Field, Mann.

Different if Millward was going for someone like Hayne, Hoppa or Mitchell, we could all understand what he is up to.

j0nesy

Bench
We have young wingers and two current first grade wingers in Macdonald and Nightingale.

Different if Millward was going for someone like Hayne, Hoppa or Mitchell, we could all understand what he is up to.

Well I'm not sure that he is, it's just a rumour. If he is I can only guess that he intends to let either Mann, Milne or Lafai go. You'd have to ask Millward.

ALSGI

Bench

Who says he's chasing Walker?

Dragonslayer

First Grade

There's absilutely no evidence we are chasing Walker at all.
This is just sensationalism and just runour based.
A reliable source says we arevlooking at Johnston but again just rumour.
ATM we are linked to just about every player on the market and there's realky no basis for it.
Thete's also rumour we are well advanced with re-signing Mann, but again rumour.
Let' s just wait and see what pans out over the next few weeks then reassess what our recruitement is doing and the direction they' re going in.

possm

Coach
There's absilutely no evidence we are chasing Walker at all.
This is just sensationalism and just runour based.
A reliable source says we arevlooking at Johnston but again just rumour.
ATM we are linked to just about every player on the market and there's realky no basis for it.
Thete's also rumour we are well advanced with re-signing Mann, but again rumour.
Let' s just wait and see what pans out over the next few weeks then reassess what our recruitement is doing and the direction they' re going in.
Great, thank you for that info; I'll wait.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
To Mr drag queen love the name by the way I'm guessing your one of those guys on this forum that would have paid the ink man his 1.2 million and probably seen 3 or 4 of our young stars go and make A name for themselves playing for the donkeys or the Rorters .have a great day

possm

Coach
To Mr drag queen love the name by the way I'm guessing your one of those guys on this forum that would have paid the ink man his 1.2 million and probably seen 3 or 4 of our young stars go and make A name for themselves playing for the donkeys or the Rorters .have a great day
Has nothing to do with Mary, that is Millward's call. We could be cream of the crop as far as our NRL squad of 30 is concerned. It is just that we choose not to have the best squad for no good reason at all.

We along with Brisbane and Penrith have the best rugby league junior development programs in Australia. The major difference or disadvantage to the Dragons is that we do not have a TPA program set up like the top 4 richest clubs do. We need an administration that addresses this problem and if/when we do, we will dominate again.

So clean out and upgrade our Club administration, address the TPA problem and pay the market price for a top line coach and all our problems are solved.

Reactions: Qdf

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
Walker likely to end up in Melbourne according to some bunnies I know.. they are also of the view GI is going back to Brisbane and James Roberts and Dylan Walker returning to the bunnies.. seems they have as many rumour ideas as us :)