What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"You need to get your f**king calls right"

_Johnsy

Referee
See, I would think a petulant, sooky wanker would stop giving his headgear away and whatnot when the chips were down. He's emotional, that's all.
I'm sure he does it for the right reasons, and it's become a trade mark for him.

Are you saying he doesn't carry on like a petulant sooky wanker when things don't go his way?

Using emotion to justify his actions lacks any real substance IMO. I would have thought he'd understand the need to show officials respect, I've just watched the replay of Friday nights game & he whinged & carried on for a majority of the game.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm sure he does it for the right reasons, and it's become a trade mark for him.

Are you saying he doesn't carry on like a petulant sooky wanker when things don't go his way?

Using emotion to justify his actions lacks any real substance IMO. I would have thought he'd understand the need to show officials respect, I've just watched the replay of Friday nights game & he whinged & carried on for a majority of the game.

I think he can blow up in the heat of the moment, and I don't think it' a good look saying what he did on Friday, but I don't see emotional outbursts as being petulant or sooky. Someone like Gallen is petulant and sooky, Thurston is emotional, Cam Smith is manipulative....

myrrh ken

First Grade
Someone like Gallen is petulant and sooky, Thurston is emotional, Cam Smith is manipulative....

Thurston cries about blues being disrespectful and chimes in about judiciary matters in the post match interviews. That is the epitome of sook and petulance

betcats

Referee
There are rules for NRL players and then there are rules for Thurston and Cameron Smith.

One down, one to go.

Smith is a merkin who gets away with a lot but the way he approaches refs is just smart, when has he spoken to a ref in a similar manner to the way JT did?? He doesn't scream and shout and whinge like every captain in the comp, he talks to them respectfully and manages them, its just smart. No doubt his standing in the game helps him but you cant take that off him. Why every other captain doesn't emulate him ive no idea. No matter how bad the call screaming and swearing at a ref isn't going to help at all, control your frustration and approach them like Smith does, that's what I would be telling my captain.

I can think of one time Smith blew up at a ref and he got marched ten metres.

SBD82

Coach
Smith is a merkin who gets away with a lot but the way he approaches refs is just smart, when has he spoken to a ref in a similar manner to the way JT did?? He doesn't scream and shout and whinge like every captain in the comp, he talks to them respectfully and manages them, its just smart. No doubt his standing in the game helps him but you cant take that off him. Why every other captain doesn't emulate him ive no idea. No matter how bad the call screaming and swearing at a ref isn't going to help at all, control your frustration and approach them like Smith does, that's what I would be telling my captain.

While I can't stand the bloke I have to agree. He's very smart in the way he approaches the refs.

Talking to my old man on the weekend we were amazed by the way he never looks buggered. Defends in the middle and still looks relatively fresh after 80. Maybe this has something to do with it? He can hold it together while other captains are out on their feet.

thorson1987

Coach

Haha that penalty Milford milked against us.

Pissed myself laughing when he was marched.

Danish

Referee
People buying into Thurston being a good bloke for giving away free headgears must also think their local politician is areal family man because he kisses all those babies

betcats

Referee
Haha that penalty Milford milked against us.

Pissed myself laughing when he was marched.

Same, I loved it. He milked a penalty for QLD the same way in origin last year which made it all the more enjoyable. But he doesn't get like that often, I can't think of another time ive seen him blow up at a ref, you can see he is frustrated at times but he contains it and maintains his cool persona. I'm not a fan of his but you cant deny he is a smart guy and very good at what he does. I actually think that his cool head is his biggest strength(besides maybe his ridiculous motor) not just with the refs but in any pressure situation within the game itself he always looks cool, calm and collected.

Last edited:

Nice Beaver

First Grade

My point was not about how Smith approaches refs at all.

My point was he does and has gotten away with grubby shit his entire career.

Being a manipulative, smarmy prick with the refs does not change this.

I do recall him having a nice dummy spit when Canberra rolled them a month ago, to answer your question also.

betcats

Referee
Oh I agree he gets away with lots of other stuff, it just felt like you were saying that about how he talks to the refs.

I didn't watch that Canberra game so I don't know, I doubt he said anything worth penalising even if he did blow up.

The Undertaker

Juniors
you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
anyone read "how to make friends and influence people " by Dale Carnegie ?
Refs need to grow some balls and bin them when they're behaving badly and not showing respect.
Stand on your dig FFS and people will respect you for it.
Thats what you've gotta admire about Harrigan and to a lesser extent McCallum
Harrigan was a TRG copper so had tickets on himself anyway and that helped cement his authority.
And sending of M.G sealed the deal and nobody gave him any shit after that.
Same with McCallum when he sent Blocker off. Got the respect he deserved.
Simple as that

POPEYE

Coach
I
He didn't know how to count to 6 in 1978.
He was an excellent mathematician, knew how to keep the penalty count even whilst calculating where on the field, what tackle number and at what stage of the game they mattered most. In his old age he wanders around handing out Bulldog flags