What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You will never be an Old Man River.......

Sorry bout the title, i have always wanted to use that (lol). OK, now onto the serious questions. We have had music threads before and it has usually turned into people offering 100s of songs that they like. Well the intelligent and switched on members of this community will realise that the title of this thread are lyrics from a song (obscure, but hey, doesnt matter lol)....

Anyways, its time to name 1 SONG that you would nominate as your all time favourite. Explanations are a necessity here, as there must be justification, especially if some in here start picking out songs from 60-70 years ago. Its actually a tough question, took a while to come up with an answer....

It ended up being a humdinger between Present Tense by Pearl Jam, Enter Sandman by Metallica and Last Goodbye by Ben Harper. After much deliberation, i had to go with Last Goodbye as there is no other song that i know of that gets the emotions going everytime you hear it. Sure, its a bit of a 'soft song' but i love it......

Onto you!

Moff.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Moffo you really know how to put us on the spot. I tried to put together a playlist of my top 20 songs the other day and I gave up and now your asking me to pick my favourite.
Well I make no secret that I'm a huge Tool fan and I'm sorry but I can't split two of their songs, both off the Ænima album which I'd rate as their best.

Song: Eulogy by Tool
Album: Ænima
Length: 8.28min
Favourite line: You told us you weren't afraid to die. Well then, so long.Don't cry or feel too down. Not all Martyrs see divinity. But at least you tried.
Why: This song just takes you on a ride. Theres nothing it doesn't have. It experiements with instruments, Maynard plays around with vocals that fit in so well. I love its highs and lows and its length. Its not some 3min catchy song made for the charts this is a musical experience, its got about a 2min intro and I love songs that have a good intro, too many songs are just wham bang straight into it in 5 secs.

Song: Ænima by Tool
Album: Ænima
Length: 6.39min
Favourite line: f**k L Ron Hubbard and f**k all his clones.
Why: Well Ænima was the first Tool song I ever heard and it still pulls that trigger in me. Its not the most brilliantly written piece but theres nothing like digging the boot into a few people and LA. Heard a funny story about this the other day. Apparently Tool played in a hall owned by a Scientologist. They picked out this song especially with the lyrics "f**k L Ron Hubbard and f**k all his clones". No surprise that the Scientologists didn't take too kindly to this.

Anemia - I love that song so much. It was also my first taste of tool a few years back, and none of the imitators since have come near that song (The whole album actually). It just rocks from start to finish.

The bit where he starts using the colourful f word is a highlight. Seeing there are probably little kids snooping around here (i ask the question why they would waste there time here lol), i ll keep the f's out...Anyway, it goes a little something like this... You will have to excuse me, i havent listened to it in a while

"Mums going to put it back to how it is supposed to be.....im praying for rain"

Brillant

Moff.

imported_bronco

Juniors
It's dissapointing in a way that Ænima was my first taste because its far and away their best song. I know the part your talking about. Thats where it is sort of winding down.
These are the lyrics, I appologise for the lanuage but I have done my best to censor it. Theres alot of confusion surrounding the lyrics of tool as Maynard at times is impossible to understand and they are keen to keep their mysterious ways thus never officially releasing lyrics. These are straight from Maynard himself:

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks here in this hopeless f-----g hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any f-----g time. Any f-----g day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.
Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your Prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car.
It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks here in this hopeless f-----g hole we call LA, the only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any f-----g time. Any f-----g day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.
Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.
Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will coz I sure could use a vacation from this
Silly shit, stupid shit...
One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.
Learn to swim.
Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.
Learn to swim.
F--k L Ron Hubbard and
F--k all his clones.
F--k all those gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabes.
Learn to swim.
F--k retro anything.
F--k your tattoos.
F--k all you junkies and
F--k your short memory.
Learn to swim.
F--k smiley glad-hands
With hidden agendas.
F--k these dysfunctional,
Insecure actresses.
Learn to swim.
Coz I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mom please flush it all away.
I wanna watch it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.
Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.
I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend.
I wanna see it all come down.
suck it down.
flush it down.

P

pepe

cat stevens-old schoolyard

the cat is the greatest,how can i single out just one of his songs!!!!

heil the cat

pepe

I gets weary, and sick of trying
but old man river
he just keeps rolling along.

Seriously, the songs 'Vincent' by Don McLean and 'Perfect Day' by Lou Reed helped me get through a bad time about 15 years ago. I can't hear either song without thinking about my best ever friend.

M

mud n blood

Wide and varied .... don't ask why, I just reckon these are great .... and don't laugh. These are in no particular order. (I may give away my age here ......)

Rock (Yes - I was into a little glam-metal in the late-80's .... even had the hair, pointy boots and leather pants to prove it)
Hells Bells (ACDC)
Let Me Put My Love Into You (ACDC)
Paradise City (Guns 'n Roses)
Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns 'n Roses)
Marseilles (The Angels)
Wildflower (The Cult)
Slave Girl (Lime Spiders)

Blues (Nothing better to get pissed to)
Have You Ever Loved A Woman (Derek and the Dominoes)
Anything at all by John Lee Hooker, BB King or Bo Diddeley !!!!
Ride On (ACDC)

New Wave
Turning Japanese (The Vapours)
Computer Games (Mi-Sex)
My Sharona (The Knack)
Space Invaders (Player 1)

Disco
Stayin Alive (Bee Gees)
Knock on Wood (Ami Stewart)
YMCA (Village People)

I give up - I could probably prattle off another 1000 ........

O

ozbash

good to see a couple of kiwi bands feature there mud. ac/dc and the angells will go down as some of nz,s best.

for me its,
learning to fly- pink floyd
comfortably numb- pink floyd
bat out of hell- meatloaf
we,ve only just begun- karen carpenter
anything by the
petshop boys/franky goes to hollywood/john lennon/pink floyd/split enz/crowded house........

Tutt Army

Juniors
"Flame Trees", Cold Chisel.

Apart from it being a brilliantly written and recorded song, it also reminds me of the 1999 Semi final series where Saints romped through Melbourne, Sydney City and Cronulla. I bought "Chisel" just before the series began and had it in my C.D player at the time, Flame Trees Became my fave song and would have to be my all time favourite.

"Do you remember, nothing stopped us on the field, In Our Day" Flame Trees, Cold Chisel.

patten_scores.jpg
blacklock_scoresagain.jpg

thanx.jpg
brownscores.jpg

imported_bronco

Juniors
I'd just like to add 3 more songs by different artists to Tool.

Song: The Hollow by A Perfect Circle
Album: Mer De Noms
Length: 2.55mins
Favourite line: Temporaily fill this hunger
Why: Heard this song on an extreme sports show and it instantly struck a chord. This is Maynards sideband to Tool, some great stuff here and as usual Maynard is great on the vocals. The whole album is top notch, theres a real mix of heavy and popish songs.

Song: Bullet With Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins
Album: Smashing Pumpkins Greatest Hits
Length: 4.18mins
Favourite line: The world is a vampire
Why: Well I've come to like a bit of the pumpkins. Their greatest hits album has some great tracks in it and this is definetly my favourite.

Song: Head Like A Hole by Nine Inch Nails
Album: Petty Hate Machine
Length: 4.55mins
Favourite line: I'd rather die than give you control
Why: Great Song. Its very much Nine Inch nails. I've only become interested in the band very recently but they've got a different sound to them than really anything thats out there. This is an old album and thus an old song but still a good listen.

O

ozbash

thats not music...
i get more enjoyment hitting a 44 gal drum with an iron rod........

imported_bronco

Juniors
What you listen to Ozbash is not music. Don't be so narrow minded and right off Heavy Metal music. Heavy Metal is about art and experimentation. I mean the kinda trash that was produced in the old days used the same old vocals and same old instruments. Heavy Metal bands like to experiment with different ranges of instruments and experiement with vocals.
Their lyrics while at times often dark have more meaning to them than the crap produced before it.
Ozbash considering you have probably never heard a song by Tool, Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle or Smashing Pumpkins I don't think your fit to comment on what is and what isn't music. All you would've heard is the mainstream trash like limp bizkit which is a world away from the real alternative music thats out there which has popular support away from the mainstream scene.

The_Yobbo_Bloke

Juniors
hey ozgash we meet again where the hell do u get off on
saying ac/dc and the angels r kiwi bands have a real go
mate.bronco sorry but tool have to be one of the most
repetitive and boring bands out there but i do agree with
u on lyrical content which is quite cool.
As for pumpkinsand the other bands u mentioned labelling
them heavy metal i consider an insult thay dont have half the talent
of metal bands out there.The 2 biggest annoying words to come after
the grunge revolution are ALTERNATIVE and GENRE it just opened
the flood gates for tryhards all around the world to like one or 2 songs from a band
go to a festival and think they r cool and know it all,ask my mate legend he will
tell u i have enjoyed the art of heavy metal for quite some time
now.as for bagging limp bizkit i disagree they play with balls
and conviction a good band.Since the boring softcock hippy late
nineties the words HEAVY METAL have become quite obscene
until recently now that the pendulum has swung back to rock n roll
and away from dance the only problem is that word ALTERNATIVE
which seems to encompass so many bands that before u know it
ravers will probably put in the same class as headbangers very sad
considering they need hardcore taylor made drugs to enhance their
crappy no talent electronic dribble

imported_bronco

Juniors
"bronco sorry but tool have to be one of the most repetitive and boring bands out there but i do agree with
u on lyrical content which is quite cool."

Different strokes for different folks Sydney Raider but I must say I strongly disagree with that statement. Opiate and Undertow are the only 2 albums that are similar. Every other album is a new experience.
Undertow is where Tool made its name and Prison Sex and Sober still remain favourites amongst Tool fans to this day. Ænima was probably when Tool really made it big. They album was quite different to Undertow and really built on the solid base Tool had built.
Tool really went through some hard times after that but they released Salival for the fans and it was really an experiemental album that was mainly covers of Tool and other artists such as Led Zeplins songs. Yet another new experience.
Lateralus is a vastly different type of album to those released before it by Tool. Tool really used their time well and came out with something new and some would say better than what went before it.
Repetitive is the last word I would use when describing Tool.

As for the genres I agree with you, who bloody knows what bands fit under these days. So many genres are touted around for so many other bands that I just tend to dump them under heavy metal or alternative as thats the range of music I'm interested in. When it comes to Tool they've changed alot through their albums but the most common description I see used for them is Alternative Metal.

Limp Bizkit? Come on mate pull the other one. They are taking undeserved credit for this side of the music industry. Their lyrical content is as weak as it comes. Their songs basically have no depth. The Chocolate Starfish album belongs on a bombfire. My Generation, Hot Dog, Getcha Grove On and so on, now that is a disgrace to "heavy metal" music.

Music is art, Limp Bizkit doesn't fit into that category. They just produce 3min pieces of trash full of swearing hoping to appeal to the younger generation and get into the top charts. Thrilling stuff.
You can't experience an artist by a single. You have to sit down and to listen and absorb their album.

El Duque

Bench
It's not exactly the best song ever written but it fair dinkum gets my blood pumping and the adrenalin flowing.

The song and what a f**king song it is.

Chapel Of Ghouls by Morbid Angel off the album Altars Of Madness.

It aint no soft cock try hard metal bullshit it's just f**kingpure evil and I love it.

Gotta love the lyrics.

Ghouls attack the church
Crush the holy priest
Turning the cross towards hell
Writhe in [sings with] satan's flames
Crush the priest
The feeble church
(Solo: Brunelle)
Dead - your god is dead
Fools - your god is dead
Useless prayers of lies
Behold satan's rise
Crush the priest
The feeble church
The family of dog
Lust upon my altar
(Solo: Azagthoth)
(Solo: Brunelle)
Demons attack with hate
Satan in the fires of hell awaits
Death against you all
God hear my death call
[long] Chorus

O

ozbash

enough of that crud...

what about a bit of neil diamond ? song sung blue
every garden grows one
song sung blue
everybody knows one..........

real music.................. hang on, a bit of nana muskouri,,,,,rolf harris ......

M

mud n blood

Neil Young .... Tom Jones ....

Now if you want some real classy stuff, get down to your local music store and pick up a copy of the new Boney M cd .... fantastic !!!

To say that tool is repetitive neally had me falling off my chair. Come on mate, take a listen, no band before or since have ever come close to imitating their unique style. Ever since they hopped on the stage 10yrs ago, many have tried to copy but nothing compares to them.....

As for the O's comments

"I get more enjoyment hitting a 44 gal drum with an iron rod........"

LOL...bloody funny
emteeth.gif

Moff.

I suppose I am showing my age here, but I've never heard of Tool.

When I was in my teens you were considered to be hopelessly out of touch if you couldn't name the top ten in the correct order (updated weekly). If you still thought a song was cool after it had dropped from the top ten you were seen as some sort of non conformist.

In the late 60s and early 70s we didn't listen to music that was a month old. These days the kids listen to the Beatles. At 43 I am too young to listen to Beatles. If I had listened to 30-40 year old music when I was 18 I would have been listening to Bing Crosby and vera lynne.