What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You will never be an Old Man River.......

imported_bronco

Juniors
LOL, don't worry Roopy I'd say that not many people over say 25 would have heard of Tool either. They don't get much mainstream recognition.

They only really got noticed in 1993. They are alot different to anything out there really. I think alot of older people would be surprised at some of the quality that they have produced. Maybe not so much Tool but lead singer Maynards side band A Perfect Circle. While there are some heavy songs in their first album there are alot of melodies and songs that could quite easily make the top pop charts.

Alot of people think of heavy metal singers as guys who get up and yell and Maynard James Keeting does that sometimes but he has a great voice and could easily fit in with alot of pop bands. Hes also probably got alot of similar music taste to a lot of you. Pink Floyd, David Bowe and Led Zepplin are a few of his favourites, alot different than what you'd expect from a heavy metal singer.

I'm 24 and I've never heard of Tool. Then again, I've got almost no interest in music.

In fact, I wouldn't be able to name one #1 from the past 4 or 5 years. If that me makes me a non-conformist, thank God for that (which sounds kind of strange, coming from an aetheist).

P

pepe

who the f*&k is tool,how do they get a mention on this thread alongside the names of bowie and cat stevens,heavy metal and rap fans are a menace to society and should be exterminated from the face of the earth.
pepe

imported_bronco

Juniors
Pepe you may not know who the band Tool are but one things for sure you are the biggest tool on the face of this earth!
Considering you've probably never heard any of the good heavy metal bands and just think of the sterotypes when thinking of heavy metal then your opinion is worthless to me. You see I've taken the time to listen to artists like David Bowe and Cat Stevens because I'm not as narrow minded as you pepe.

P

pepe

me narrow minded,never!!!!!!

i was born in the swinging sixties mate,grew up in the 70's attending womens lib parties,inhaled pot as a 6 year old at one of the ''it's time'' parties,attended anti conscription protests,handed out how to vote cards.

sure, heavy metal bands may have lyrics,it's just you can'tbloody hear them because of all the noise,as for the rap crap,it's best left to the ghettos of the good ol usa.

me being called narrow minded by a 16 year old from wellington has gone to far,i call upon the managers to take action against young bronco!!!!!!!!!!

pepe

imported_bronco

Juniors
You are narrow minded pepe when it comes to music. The music is too loud to hear the lyrics bullshit is the typical stereo type and considering you have never heard of tool or one of their songs your not fit to write them off as a band.
I can tell you I've never had a problem hearing any of Tools lyrics, your really showing your age if you bitching like an old man.
Pepe I'm not interested in argueing with you about this because your view is very uneducated considering you have never heard Tool or know any thing about them.

P

pepe

rooster rooster man,now that's an all time classic.

the funniest thing i ever witnessed was at a midnight oil concert at coolongatta,his songs are about peace etc and i swear the headbangers were literally crashing the place,so much for spreading the word of peace.

geez bronco,you certainly do get fired up about your music,what you need to do is put on one of roopys neil diamond albums,go make yourself a nice cup of herbal tea and shred those tool cd's
emwink.gif

just for the record,i know jack all about music,i'm more into talk back radio,that's just between you and me.

pepe

p.s,you can buy me a ''tool'' t-shirt for xmas if you like,tool rockssssss,yeahhhhhh

Dolphin Oval

Juniors
Moff, isn't "Last Goodbye" a song by the late Jeff Buckley? Or does Ben Harper have a song by the same name?

Anyway, to limit myself to just the one song is impossible. I am a huge fan of music with very diverse tatses. Primarily though, I am a rock fan, but I also love a lot of rap and hip hop. Here is a taste of some of my favourite tunes:

Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness....this song is the most beautiful and moving piece of music I have ever heard. It is purely piano and violin, and only goes for 2 and a half minutes, but it is stirring stuff.

Collective Soul: Run....very smooth tune. Released in about 1998, it basically talks about disillusionment in life. Words are meaningful, some excellent guitaring combined with stirring violin makes this song a must-hear.

U2: One....beautiful song. Great lyrics. We've probably all heard it. It's universally loved. My favourite line is "DidI ask too much? More than a lot? You gave me nothing now it's all I've got."I have recently downloaded a live version of One and its even better than the cd version.

Three Doors Down: Be Like That....this song is from the American Pie 2 soundtrack. The lyrics arent particularly ground breaking, just a standard ballad, but its beautifully performed, the singer has a great voice, and when you are in a reflective mindset, it's really good thinking about that someone special in your life.

Seven Mary Three: Cumbersome....probably not very well known by many, although i'm sure my good friend Footy2k will know it. Released in 1997, it is just a meaty rock song, with lyrics that refer to trying to overcomes the downtimes and differences in relationships. Personally, I just like the singer's voice and the music to this song. Check out the accoustic version...it's excellent.

Hunters & Collectors: Holy Grail....you are not a bloke if you don't know or don't like this rock epic. It's a pub anthem, a beer anthem, that's perfect for the bbq sing-a-longs after a few ales. Powerful music combined with lyrics that we can all understand and learn off by heart make this song arguably the best of the 90's.

Lighthouse Family: High....a beautiful song, performed brilliantly. Baiscally a love ballad, the singer has a great voice, the viloins add to its intensity, and the backing vocals of what seems to be a church quior make it a beauty. Dominated the charts in 1998.

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here....a classic. Absolutely absorbing song, I'm sure a few of the older guys on this forum will agree with me when I call it one of the best rock songs of the last 30 years. We can all relate to the lyrics as well.

Bob Marley: No Woman No Cry (live)....an epic. A great party song, beer drinking song, or just a beautiful mellody to chuck on when you want to relax. 7 minutes of some of the best music you will hear.

Ben Harper: Forever....this guy is possibly the most talented song writer today. He is a great musician and his lyrics are class.This song is just an accoustic love ballad...very smooth...my favourite line is, " Forever always seems to be around when it begins, but forever never seems to be around when it ends." Check it out.

Skid Row: I Remember You....this song is an epic from Mud and Bloods hey day (around 1988-89). Again its a love ballad, but it is performed powerfully by lead singer Sebastian Bach. Skid Row were basically a one hit wonder with this song. The chorus to this song is particularly moving.

Deep Blue Something: Breakfast At Tiffany's....it's impossible to dislike this song. Released in 1993, the music to it is great, and possesses an attention grabbing chorus that we all love and like to sing to when we're in the shower. "And i said what about, breakfast at tiffany's, she said i think i, remember what it felt like, as i recall, i think we both kind of liked it and i said well that's the one thing we got." Classic.

Scorpions: Wind Of Change....the stage is set with the whistling at the start, and what follows is a great rock song. I remember the first time I heard it in 1991, I was in the car on the way to footy training as a kid. I loved it then and I love it now.

Everlast: What It's Like....a tough song talking about the everyday battles people face. Has some great lyrics, the music is perfect with its solid accoustic guitars, and the singer, Eric Everlast (formerly House of Pain), shows his class as a vocalist.

That's enough from me for now, but i'll be back to give more of my favourite rock and rap tunes later. This is a good thread, it's good finding out what you guy's are into.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Pepe when it comes to Tool I definetly get fired up because I can't stand people who haven't even heard there music sit back and tell me that their just heavy metal trash when I'm sure those who have heard them would know their alot different than anything out there.

I've got the shot gun out and have sounded the alarms so if roopys daring enough to come near me with a Neil Dimond CD I send my condolences to his family
emwink.gif

Bread the Essentials, now that is music
emwink.gif

Sorry Dolphin, did i write Ben Harper?? I really should focus a bit more when im typing things in here lol. Yeah, it was Jeff Buckley, and oath, it is one song that is simply brillant, no other way to put it....

MFC.

imported_bronco

Juniors
I'll just add a few others:

Dolpins Cryby Live
Lightening Crashes by Live
Another Brick in the wall by Pink Floyd
Tonight, tonightby Smashing Pumpkins
1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Today by Smashing Pumpkins
3 Libra's by A Perfect Circle
Orestes by A Perfect Circle
Chop Suey by System of a Down
Breakdown by Tantric
Under Pressure by Queen feat David Bowe
Killing in the name of by Rage Against the Machine
Take the power back by Rage Against the Machine
Lateralus by Tool
Opiate by Tool
Overcome by Live
The Wretched by Nine Inch Nails
Closer by Nine Inch Nails

Just thought I'd add in some variety, I'd probably add a bit more Queen in there but I don't want to break my already shattered musical reputation.

M

mud n blood

Pepe .... sorry, I can't agree with your sentiments on "heavy metal" per-say(sp). I guess it comes down to your definition of HM music as such. Comparing groups like Creed, Live, Smashing Pumpkins etc to that of mainstream in any other era, they could be declared HM, but I personally don't think so deserve to be there. Even Hunters and Collectors could be called HM compared to some shit we've had to listen to over the years.

There are even those who reckon ACDC are HM !!! I suppose that in their days, ACDC, Hush, Van Halen, Guns n Roses etc could all lay claim, so I'm a little perplexed as to what you call HM. Any clues for a definition for me ??? Some even call the Angels HM .....

Remember other classes like Thrash, Glam, Hardcore, Soft metal etc all need to be included somewhere as well.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Mud I'd put Live, Creed, Lifehouse, Incubus and bands of that ilk under the soft metal banner. I'd probably put the Smashing Pumpkins there, while they have some heavy songs they also have hits like Tonigh, tonight, Today and 1979 which are all pretty soft.

Mud I really can't define heavy metal either, I'm usually lazy and anything that sounds slightly heavy gets classed as heavy metal. Theres too many fancy genres these days with stuff like alternative, alternative metal etc and the list goes on.
I'd probably class a band like Metallica as heavy metal although I'm no Metallica fan.
Lets face it any band that has a bass guitar and a singer that yells half the time will get shoved under the heavy metal genre.

O

ozbash

heavy metal is music that destroys brain cells.it is either played so loud that it warps your ear drums or there are subliminal messages in the lyrics ?, which encourages the listener to involve the head region in making violent contact with a fairly firm surface, eg concrete.

young people like bronco,timdog,mfc and footy2k are obvious devotees of HM, you can gauge how long they have been listening to it by the degree of brain damage.

the only known cure for the addiction of HM is a box set of harry seacombe tapes....

KISS was a good HM band,gene simmonds didnt need to headbang, he had the tongue........

imported_bronco

Juniors
LOL oldbash.
Also timdog a devotee of heavy metal? Doubtful we had an arguement over that very fact involving the song thread.

Anyway oldbash your views are uneducated as you've never heard the great heavy metal bands of this era, your an old man stuck in the past with his old has been artists, time to move on and stop bitching about how the music has changed.

Subliminal messages? LOL, not in the stuff I listen to mate. Crap like Neil Dimond rots the brain, the lyrical content is about as stimulating as whacking your head with a plank of wood.
Heavy Metal stimulates the mind with its lyrical content, at least it questions society instead of painting a pwetty little picture.

Dolphin Oval

Juniors
I class Heavy Metal as being music by the likes of Slipknot, Slayer, Pantera, and Metallica before 1991. Generally it must involve loud drums, loud, meaty guitar and a lot of screaming and shouting. Bronco is so right with Tool...they are class. Sure they are reasonably heavy at times, but their music is so well constructed, the singer actually sings, and the lyrics are quality.

Personally I don't like modern day HM but Tool is one band who I can certainly tolerate and enjoy.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Thanks dolpin oval, I though Moff and myself were the only ones who could see the quality of Tool. Its a pitty they've probably only got a couple of albums left in them because I feel they've really reached a new level of music with Lateralus.

I must say that while System of a Down have almost every quality I hate in a band theres something about their music that has got me hooked at the moment. Their album Toxicity is a must listen.

Also I'd like to nominate Offspring as the worst band.........ever. If you've ever heard the lead singer live you'd know what a talentless git he is. I can't believe they actually charge money tolisten to thisguy get up who can't sing to save himself. Their songs really are grating I usedto own a couple of their albums but they now lie in a rubbish dump somewhere.

Dolphin Oval

Juniors
Mud,

What is your favourite AC/DC album? And which era do you like best: the Bon Scott era or the Brian Johnson era?

Personally, I think AC/DC were at their best with Bon. Their early albums were raw power. Songs like; High Voltage, Long Way To The Top, Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, Whole Lotta Rosie, Sin City, TNT, Highway To Hell, Jailbreak, Touch Too Much and Girls Got Rhythm; they are true rock anthems. The saddest thing with the death of Bon Scott was that as a band, they were really starting to flourish. In my opinion, 1979's 'Highway To Hell' is their greatest cd - there is not a bad song on it, and as it was Bon's last record, I think it does justice to the great man.

Brian Johnson took over with a bang in 1980 with Back in Black...and we all know what a phenomanal success that cd has proved to be. You Shook Me All NIght Long, Back In Black, For Those About To Rock, Who Made Who and Thunderstruck are all great rock songs in their own right. Even their recent stuff is still quality...Ballbreaker was actually an excellent album and the new one isn't too bad either. But, still, it doesn't quite match the impact that Bon Scott made in the 70's.

I went and saw AC/DC live as a 13 year old. It was my first concert and I had heard a lot about their live performances being just electric, and they didn't disappoint. I have a lasting memory of Angus just running and running and running. He's a fit little bugger.

AC/DC started off as a pub band and that's what I love about them. They weren't 'discovered' on a fabricated talent search. They were a group of mates, some of them brothers, who had a passion for rock and roll and made their way to the top through pure hard work and persistence.

Dog

Juniors
I'm gonna throw in by own two cents worth here (and probably be laughed at for it
emembarrassed.gif
):
Live - Overcome
Their new single (which I heard only days after the WTC attacks) really takes on a lot of meaning. So much of our chart space is wasted when songs like this make it only halfway up.

Alex Lloyd - My Way Home
This song I just like. No reason why I just do.

Nick Skitz - Excalibur 2001
A dance track that draws from Carmina Brumara or something like that from the Opera. It's been remixed and is good music to fire up to.

System Of A Down - Chop Suey
This is a widely popular song, probably because unlike a lot of songs it has meaning.

Anything from Nat Imbruglia
I really don't give a flying "flip" what you guys say to this but I like it. She has a great voice and knows wat she's singing about(but I guess the fact I attend her high school which her sis only just left has to factor in somewhere).

Amazed - Lonestar
Good music, pure and simple.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't like heavy metal. I respect and admire the fact that most of you guys like that music. That is your personal preference - I ain't gunna even try changin that. That said, I hope all of you can respect the fact that I like what you would call "pussy music".

I have some more favourites but I can't get them off the top of my head right now... the thing is... I like the music I like. Criticise me all you like - but it's MY preference. Don't like it - don't comment.

Cheers, Tim

imported_bronco

Juniors
Tim Overcome and Chop Suey are the only ones I'd go near on your list. I can't really comment on your taste because I did list songs from Pink Floyd, Live, Queen and some soft songs from A Perfect Circle and the Smashing Pumpkins.

I like to think I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music and despite heavy metal being my preferred genre I like a wide ranch of artists. For example I don't care what anyone says Queen isa legendary band, I've liked their music ever since I was about 6yo and while I don't listen to their songs often I still enjoy them for some odd reason.

Also I'm quite liking a few songs on Pink Floyds new album echoes. Another Brick in the wall is a great track, I suggest people get the 3 versions combined for the whole experience.

As for the top charts these days I'd rather rip my fingernails off than listen to these boring repetitive manufactured bands and artists.