What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young Captains

davi

Juniors
Does anyone think Captains should be chosen through natural succession? I tend to think it would be a smarter way to go.

Mark Geyer has criticised the choices of Matt Moylan and Roger Ruivasa-Sheck as Captains. He hasn't criticised them for their youth but more that they would be better to focus on their games. But I tend to think because their both still relatively young is a factor.

The Broncos selected Sam Thaiday as captain when they had veterans such Corey Parker and Justin Hodges. Thaiday proved he wasn't ready for it and his form took a dip because of it. There is no way Darius Boyd would have been ready to be captain while at the Dragons or the Kinghts but he has grown to be a veteran and a leader and now he is an excellent captain for the Broncos.

Any thoughts?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Wade Graham has been groomed for a couple of seasons now.

Will probably have to wait one more year, is only 26.

Once he takes over I think Brailey will be groomed.

Naming blokes out of the blue (RTS and Moylan) I find weird.

Bazal

Post Whore
Nathan Cayless was a young captain. Plenty of Eels fans for some ludicrous reason think the bloke was a rubbish footballer and just about worthless as a captain... but he was captain of a grand final side at 23 and went on to captain his country to a World Cup win so he clearly went ok.

Age is irrelevant. Some blokes are made for it, some learn it, and some will never be up to it.

davi

Juniors
Nathan Cayless was a young captain. Plenty of Eels fans for some ludicrous reason think the bloke was a rubbish footballer and just about worthless as a captain... but he was captain of a grand final side at 23 and went on to captain his country to a World Cup win so he clearly went ok.

Age is irrelevant. Some blokes are made for it, some learn it, and some will never be up to it.

Fair point I generally still think it's wiser to go to the experience route but there are exceptions to the rule. Also logical choices don't always pan out. Paul Sironen was made captain of the Tigers after six rounds decided it wasn't for him and quit.

davi

Juniors
No mate. DCE is captain (and I think its been great for him and the club).

But he is the perfect example of a young bloke who would handle captaincy on his ear.

Cherry-Evans I would say is borderline of being a young captain at 28. I will say though it's lit a fire under him and made him take more responsibility this year and he has responded. Commentators suggesting the same would happen if Jarryd Hayne was named captain of the Titans are making a bold prediction.

Canard

Immortal
Shit!!! Someone had a different opinion on the best young forward in the game!

That's a paddlin'

It's all subjective of course, but its not difficult to make an argument that forward who averages 200m per game is the best in his field.

Noname36

First Grade
It is 100% dependent on the character and temperement of the individual.

Some blokes at 21 would be fantastic captains, others at 33 would be/are shit.

This. Sione Mata'utia was given the Knights captaincy at 20 and has done a really good job (sharing the duties with Buhrer now) where Hodkinson who is much older, won NSW a series, etc. was an awful captain.