What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your 2016 Rnd 1 team

martielang

Bench
Interesting to see everyone's (assuming all are fit & Idris has moved on)....

1. DWZ
2. Mansour
3. Blake
4. Whare
5. G Jennings
6. Moylan
7. Soward
8. Merrin
9. Segeyaro
10. RCG
11. Cartwright
12. Garcia
13. Taylor

14. Latu
15. Latimore
16. Peachey
17. Katoa / Sopa

I have to be honest, I hadn't seen much of Katoa until Saturday but he impressed me immensely. Straightened up our attack when at hooker and was impressive when he came back as a back rower, so could easily fill both roles depending on the game.

I wouldn't mind a bit more size in our starting back row but couldn't think of anyone (maybe JFH or Kikau?). I really rate Garcia though, I think he'll surprise a few people.

Was also tossing up between W Smith & Jennings for the wing, thinking Smith and DWZ can swap roles.

betcats

Referee
Interesting to see everyone's (assuming all are fit & Idris has moved on)....

1. DWZ
2. Mansour
3. Blake
4. Whare
5. G Jennings
6. Moylan
7. Soward
8. Merrin
9. Segeyaro
10. RCG
11. Cartwright
12. Garcia
13. Taylor

14. Latu
15. Latimore
16. Peachey
17. Katoa / Sopa

I have to be honest, I hadn't seen much of Katoa until Saturday but he impressed me immensely. Straightened up our attack when at hooker and was impressive when he came back as a back rower, so could easily fill both roles depending on the game.

I wouldn't mind a bit more size in our starting back row but couldn't think of anyone (maybe JFH or Kikau?). I really rate Garcia though, I think he'll surprise a few people.

Was also tossing up between W Smith & Jennings for the wing, thinking Smith and DWZ can swap roles.

I like this side but swap Yeo for Garcia. Never seen or heard of Garcia before we signed him so cant really put him in there. Plus I rate Yeo and think he will start for us all year barring injury.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Mine would be:

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Josh Mansour
3. Waqa Blake / Robert Jennings / Will Smith
4. Dean Whare
5. George Jennings
6. Matt Moylan
7. Jamie Soward
8. Reegan Campbell-Gillard
9. James Segeyaro
10. Jeremy Latimore
11. Trent Merrin
12. Bryce Cartwright
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Tyrone Peachey
15. Jamal Idris / Isaah Yeo
16. Leilani Latu
17. Sam Mckendry

Wanna see the 3 young guys compete for a left centre spot. Jamal Idris into the pack if he's staying which seems a 50/50 chance at the moment. Yeo if he's not in. Then have guys like Sopoaga, BMM, Kikau etc. Fighting for a shot when the inevitable injury toll hits.

panthers2010

Juniors
1. DWZ
2. Mansour
3. Whare
4. Blake
5. Gennings
6. Moylan
7. Soward
8. RCG
9. Segyaro
10. Merrin
11. Peachy
12. Carttwright
13. Taylor

14. Latu
15. Mckendry
16. Kikau
17. Latimore

Cranky Sod

Juniors
A few points picking the side

First: Cleary will not drop Wallace. If he is fit he will be captain and Halfback.

Second: At the moment Will Smith is unsigned but in talks to stay.

Thirdly: Merrin has been not been openly discussed at being a prop or backrower next year.

Moylan needs to move to 5/8 while Soward is still in the team imo. Will Smith would get demolished at centre, can see him being put into touch every game.

snickers007

Juniors
1. Moylan
2. Mansour
3. DWZ
4. Whare
5. G Jennings
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Latimore
9. Segeyaro
10.RCG
11.Cartwright
12.Yeo
13.Taylor

14.Latu
15.Merrin
16.Peachey
17.Garcia/Matagi/Kikau

I'm not sold on Moylan at 5/8 yet. His defence is suspect, and I'm not sure he has a kicking game. Wallace is much better in both regards, and we still get the best of Moylan at fullback, linking in on both sides of the ruck.

DWZ, G Jennings and Mansour all deserve their spots, and DWZ played quite well at centre last year I thought. He has much better hands than Blake, and would be devastating running the right lines. Give him Yeo on the inside to be his bodyguard and he's set.

The reduced interchange will change tactics, and how the benches are assembled, but I think having high impact players like Peachey, Merrin and Matagi/Kikau is probably the way to go.

Sleep

Juniors
1. Moylan
2. DWZ
3. Whare
4. Blake/Jennings
5. Mansour
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. McKendry
9. Segeyaro
10. RCG
11. Cartwright
12. Merrin
13. Taylor

14. Peachey
15. Latimore

The other two I'll take a wait and see approach.

martielang

Bench
I like this side but swap Yeo for Garcia. Never seen or heard of Garcia before we signed him so cant really put him in there. Plus I rate Yeo and think he will start for us all year barring injury.

Completely forgot about Yeo actually. I'd have him ahead of Garcia in the starting line up as well.

Garcia will surprise. Good player.

Idris has been very good in defence for us next to Soward so if he's moved I think we need a good denfender. Blake has the size and rips in but he can't be picked with all the mistakes he makes.

betcats

Referee
Id pick Blake for sure if Idris is going. Put him in a side that isn't battling and he will be fine imo. Dallin and Cartwright were making similar errors last year but the team was playing much better footy at that stage so they weren't under the same pressure and it wasn't as costly. He hasn't made a handling error in a couple weeks(I think) and he looks good running the ball. Mansour's try yesterday was a nice set piece but it was Waqa attracting those defenders with the decoy that opened up that space. He still has all the potential in the world and NSW cup really isn't that testing for him anymore.

Last edited:

martielang

Bench
Idris has been very good in defence for us next to Soward so if he's moved I think we need a good denfender. Blake has the size and rips in but he can't be picked with all the mistakes he makes.

True regarding Idris. Defence would be my only concern with Blake. Hopefully that improves with a full off season.

betcats

Referee
He has a bit of the 'Matais' does Blake. He is aggressive and likes to rush in looking for a shot but his timing isn't there yet so gets found out. Idris was almost perfect defensively better than Whare imo his only weekness was his speed and lateral movement could get found out but usually his positioning and timing could cover that.

The thing is if it isn't Blake(or Idris)who would you have? Rennings has shown less in his limited games so far and the rest of our NSW cup backs are going to be less experienced then Waqa next year so...

1. DWZ
2. Mansour
3. Idris
4. Whare
5. G. Jennings
6. Moylan
7. Soward
8. McKendry
9. Segeyaro
10. RCG
11. Cartwright
12. Taylor
13. Merrin

14. Peachey
15. Latimore
16. Latu
17. Kikau

MrAnonymous

Bench
1 Moylan
2 DWZ
3 Whare
4 Idris
5 Mansour
6 Wallace
7 Soward
8 Merrin
9 Seg
10 RCG
11 Yeo
12 Docker
13 Taylor

14 Peachy
15 Latu
16 Latimore
17 Cartwright.

That will be the team week 1. All your fantasy teams wont happen.

maple_69

Bench
I'd start with the left and aim to move to the side on the right by the end of Origin.

1. DWZ-DWZ
2. Mansour-Mansour
3. Whare-Whare
4. Smith-Blake
5. Gennings-Gennings
6. Moylan-Moylan
7. Soward-Soward
8. Mckendry-Mckendry
9. Segeyaro-Segeyaro
10. RCG-RCG
11. Cartwright-Cartwright
12. Taylor-Taylor
13. Merrin-Merrin
14. Latu-Latu
15. Latimore-Latimore
16. Peachey-Peachey
17. Idris-Idris

Well that was a waste of time. I think Blake needs some time in NSW Cup and Smith has earned a shot at Centre. Kikau, Rennings, Yeo, Sopoaga, Katoa, C. Smith, Wallace and Garcia could all force there way in after a big preseason or good run in NSW Cup.