What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your favourite horse racing memories?

Moffo

Referee
Admittedly I've always had people around me who watch/have an interest in horse racing so to a degree I have grown up with it. Many memories, the ones involving $$$ usually being the best ones! But hey, what are your favourite racing memories?

- 1989 Backing Tawriffic at 33/1 in the Melb Cup. First Win ever. Dad tried to talk me out of it all morning but I stuck to my guns with the great R.S. Dye on board!

- Belle De Jours win in the Golden Slipper. Unbelievable

- Sunline. What a horse, loved it

- Abusing the hell out of Jim Cassidy at the fence, 2002, Rosehill. The prick deserved it that day and boy he got it!

- Clangalang, Epsom (I think) 2003ish. Had a big double going on it, burst through the pack and was an unbelievable win.

- Missing out on the Cox Plate triffecta, 2002. I put the wrong numbers on, problem was that it was my brothers ticket! He missed out on $3,000 because of it :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

SirShire

First Grade
Not sure, there's a few:

* Lawn Party 2005
* Getting ejected from Warwick Stakes this year
* Backing 'Court's In Session' before it had a big name and making good money on it
* Melbourne Cup Randwick member's stand last year. Backing the Diva. Had big money on it and it came home strong. Was pissed as a maniac, then received a phone call saying that I was suspended from school.
* Watching my best mate getting booted out of Randwick for pissing on the fence along the track.

f**k I love the races...

dazza

Staff member
best melbourne cup memory would have to be kiwi`s last to first win. brilliant, bloody brilliant.

like you moffo, sunline is a favourite too.

my favourite memory here in nz is a horse by the name, aghios nikalaos. i worked for his trainer, bruce mccleod, while i was a young fella. he was a big black horse with a white diamond on his forehead., & he was the 1st horse i lead into the parade ring at ellerslie. he did the same as kiwi, last to 1st. i will never forget it.

cheers dazza

Nuffs

Bench
just being at a melbourne cup (and derby and oaks day) really got me going. when i was young it was the only thing i wanted to do in life. and it happened last year

media puzzle winning the cup. still gives me goosebumps thinking about it. i had the winner and the quinella with mr prudent.

and when i was young, my mum and grandad used to take me to the races every week. they'd pick a horse each and i'd pick one (always the favourite) and they'd box them in quinellas and trifectas. one day at kembla we got a trifecta. $1,800 odd with a $100 quinella. i had maccas that night :lol:

mum and grandad always used to get great quinellas just going on names.

Macca_

Coach
Have have a bad memory :lol:

Recent ones would be loading up in feature doubles into Makybe Diva in the last 2 cups. Landed some nice ones.

Got Lad of The Manor ($10) first up into Vouvray ($15) for Melb Cup plus a few other smaller ones this year. Hoping for the hattrick!

Clangalangs Epsom win was also a fav of mine. I like Clang as a 2yr old and have backed a number of his younguns.

The battle between Occy, Nothin Leica a Dane, Saintly etc was great to watch. What a bunch they were.

Might and Powers 10len win in the Caulfield Cup was amazing.

Heaps, could go on for ages :D

Macca_

Coach
I was also involved with Firstholme Bloodstocks first syndicate. The win of our very first horse to the races (Hidden Honey) was special. Paid 16/1 too :D They had one that ran in the Stock Stakes and finished 6th (Roccina). Being a fan of Brocca as a sire, I liked her.

They have Quintenella, Sissano and Sam Sung a Song in the current syndicates.

les norton

First Grade
I had a video when I was a kid called Race of the century...

Bonecrusher V. Vo rougue.

What a race. Both horses second alst and last and then both going at the same time. swallowed the whole field like they werent even running. Then battled it out for1st and 2nd. Russ Hinze having a heart attack in ther stands. Watching Bonecrusher getting it by a nose. By far the best race I have ever seen.

Kingston Town...last cox plate she won and hearing the caller saying "and Kingston town cant win..." she was boxed in but ended uop winning it. A champion horse.

Nuffs

Bench
i was only very young when bonecrusher was racing but he is my all-time favourite.

everyone thought i'd be a jockey when we'd be at the TAB watching bonecrusher run and i'd be hitting myself like i was using a whip. i was only 3 and 4 when he was racing over here

i love watching the clips of his runs to refresh my memory

but the video that i love the most is about kingston town. i just missed being able to see him but the video shows just how good a horse i missed out on

and i'd love to watch some manikato races. i read somewhere a few months ago that if he won the same races as he did in these times, he would have won 21 group ones!

Mr Rock!!!

Juniors
Watching the slow motion replay of last years Melbourne Cup when Makybe Diva overtook Vinnie Row from nowhere.
I noticed that whilst she was putting on the pace, she was also looking around to make sure no-one was looming up on her.
The sheer determination on her face was almost human, and it sent the goosebump effect into full swing, not to mention two sweepstake wins and $500 into my back pocket.

Can she do it again this year????
You bet she can..Just watch the goosebumps rise:music2:

Macca_

Coach
Mr Rock!!! said:
Can she do it again this year????
You bet she can..
I have been on her all her career. I'd love to see her win a 3rd in a row, would be great but I can't see it. Sometimes you have to know when to get off...

Last 2 years she has been set for the Cup. Aimed at peaking in the first Tuesday in November over 3200m 5th up from a spell.

This time in she is set to peak over 2000m 4th up in the Cox Plate. The Cup preps have been timed to perfection and I see it no different this time round.

She'll still be hitting the Cup 5th up this time in. My worry is that it's only 9 days after she has been set for the 2000m run. There is no doubting her class, but the condition and lung capacity could well come into it. Ad to that she needs to re set the weight carrying record she made last year in carrying the 58kg. It is a big ask, as good as she is.

The owners and trainer have always looked after her best interest and they may even feel it's not the right thing if they feel condition wise she isn't ready to do it.

As I said, I'd love to see her do it. And if my horse isn't the winner, I'm hoping it is her. But I do have my concerns about backing her. In saying that I had some on that promotion they had early when they gave punters 21/1 about her and Vinnie Roe. I figured she'd won me that much that it was worth putting some back in just incase...

Foz

Bench
les norton said:
I had a video when I was a kid called Race of the century...

Bonecrusher V. Vo rougue.

What a race. Both horses second alst and last and then both going at the same time. swallowed the whole field like they werent even running. Then battled it out for1st and 2nd. Russ Hinze having a heart attack in ther stands. Watching Bonecrusher getting it by a nose. By far the best race I have ever seen.

Kingston Town...last cox plate she won and hearing the caller saying "and Kingston town cant win..." she was boxed in but ended uop winning it. A champion horse.

The horse that Russ Hinze owned was Our Waverley Star (Waverley Star in NZ).
Cox Plate was the race your thinking of.
Great Race.
My favourite race is that Kingston Town cant win race.
He is the best horse I've ever seen by a country mile.
He was a brilliant horse as a 3 year old but he was a real warrior as he got older.
Imagine if he ever had 4 good legs.

Another favourite of mine was a horse called Tails.
A great race when he downed Gunsynd in the Queen Elizabeth at Randwick.
He won 2 metropolitans and went down giving a horse a couple of stone when he tried for 3.

les norton

First Grade
Foz said:
The horse that Russ Hinze owned was Our Waverley Star (Waverley Star in NZ).
Cox Plate was the race your thinking of.
Great Race.
My favourite race is that Kingston Town cant win race.
He is the best horse I've ever seen by a country mile.
He was a brilliant horse as a 3 year old but he was a real warrior as he got older.
Imagine if he ever had 4 good legs.

Another favourite of mine was a horse called Tails.
A great race when he downed Gunsynd in the Queen Elizabeth at Randwick.
He won 2 metropolitans and went down giving a horse a couple of stone when he tried for 3.

#-o Of course....what a barry crocker.

Macca_

Coach
Just a thought... Mummify last week will surely go down as one of those most remembered things happening at a race track. RIP.

Freak

Juniors
Without a doubt the best ever was
Sunline 2000 Cox plate

The Best smashing the best of the rest!!

Belle De Jour in the slipper is something I will never forget.

Lonrho Aust Cup win

Off the track but just as memerable was the storm that hit Flemington last year on Cup day!!

100,000+ people simply destroyed by this Storm that could only be described as FREAKISH!! - Thank THUCK I was already inside parked right in front of a monitor to see the Mare do it again!!

Nuffs

Bench
i was on the fence about 100m from the post when the storm struck. went undercover for an hour or so then back onto the fence for the race

i can still picture the duststorm at the top of the straight

and as a guy next to me said at the height of the wind - i've never seen so many g-strings since last night at the strippers!! skirts were useless

Macca_

Coach
Nuffs said:
and as a guy next to me said at the height of the wind - i've never seen so many g-strings since last night at the strippers!! skirts were useless
:lol: Gold!

sunny

Man, I was there in 1976 (could have been 76, maybe it was 77) for Van der Hum's win. Now that was a storm!