What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your finest sporting moment MKII

L

legend

Ok, this is not for our individual efforts but our favourite all time sporting moments. Things like the Americas Cup, winning the Olympics etc...

I only have two. My first was the Denver Broncos Super Bowl Victory in 1998 against the Packers. When John Elway came on for the last play and took a knee to run out the clock, it was the defining moment in the mans career after years of trying and coming up short. I will always remember that day.

My other favourite memory was Laurie Daleys's 50 metre solo try in the 1994 Grand Final. Furner slipped him a great ball and he stepped oncethen put the foot down to beat Scott Wilson to the line and score in the corner. Nobody deserved that glory more than Laurie Daley, still the fiercest competitor I hav ever seen but also a great sportsman as well.

S

SpaceMonkey

Not much rivals Jonah Lomu brushing off two English defenders then trampling right over the top of English fullback Mike Catt on the way to the tryline in the RWC semi in 1995. That was brilliant....

Mine is pretty obscure.
The only big time sportsman from my hometown when I was a kid was the Australian leg spinner Bob 'Dutchy' Holland. As a kid I got a few lessons from him on the art of leg spinning (pity I was hopeless at it).
The biggest moment of Bob's career, and one i'll never forget, was when he spun out the great West Indies on the SCG when he was a grey headed old man of 40. I think I was the only one in Australia who had total faith that 'Dutchy' could knock over the greatest cricket team the world had seen.

B

Bomber

A great moment I remember was the Sydney Olympics....watching the opening ceremony with six great mates, ordering ten pizzas during the March of Nations, seeing Nikki %$*&%$ Webster do her aeriel acrobatics, one of my mates predicting for weeks beforehand that Dawn Fraser would light the flame....the seven of us screaming out as one as Dawnie got the torch (...'not $#&$#ing Dawn Fraser!'), and the sigh of relief as she passed it on.....

Oh yeah, and there were some sporting eventsgoing on as well ;)
:)Susie O'Neill breaking the world record
:)Cameroon beating the Spanish in the soccer final
:)Jumping Jai Turima
embeer.gif

:)Cook and Potthurst
:)Aussie Womens Water Polo team
emembarrassed.gif

emthdown.gif
Jane Saville getting red-carded 500 metres from the end of the walk
emthdown.gif
Pieter van den Hoogenband :mad:

...all topped off by the Oils at the closing ceremony :)

Another moment high on my list would be drawing with the 'Cricketboks' of South Africa in the World Cup Semi a few years ago...and going through to thump the Pakis.

C

CanadianSteve

I missed a great moment at the Olympics. For some reason I didn't see the opening ceremonies in Atlanta 96 when Muhammad Ali came out as a surprise and lit the flame. Everyone tells me it was a great, emotional moment with the ovation he received.

Well, Michael Wendon coming from middle of the pack to scorch home at the '68 Olympics to win the 100 (hisback was above the water) and then doubling up to win the sprint double (200m) was pretty impresive.
Watching Larry Corowa score 5 tries against England or Great Britain at Seiffert for Monaro (as a Ram) in the mid eighties, but....
watching John Janssen (lump that he was - who never amounted to much) break through the inner Parramatta backs in the 77 replay from about 20-30m out to score was a peak moment for me....
Goz

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A Cricket moment was Mark Taylor's moment of truth in the old dart in 1997.

Australia were all out in the first innings for a dismal 118 and the pundits had already written Taylor off... he was gone for all money and about to be sacked as opening batsmen and captain.

But in the second innings, hescratched out one of the guttiest centuries I have ever had the pleasure to watch. It wasn't pretty... but it was an unfashionable champion coming back from the dead... it was that fact that impressed me most of all.

I was alone, late at night, in my loungeroom when I saw it on the box but that didnt't stop me standing up and applauded his efforts.

Tubby went onto Cricket folklore when he score a massive innings knock of 334 against Pakistan in 1998, equaling Sir Donald Bradmans's record.He even had the opportunity to surpass the Don... but he declared the innings for the team... pure class.

On Dutchy Holland (see message three) there was an article in today's Newcastle Herald saying that Dutchy will be playing for the Macquarie United Scorpions 3rd grade side this season. It will be his 41st season of grade cricket, 40 of them with the Scorpions and one with Bankstown in Sydney. Dutchy is also the bowling coach and main selector with the Scorpions.
During his career he has taken nearly 3000 wickets including 39 for Australia and over 100 for NSW.

O

ozbash

1, delightful lady killing them at the interdoms
2,john walkers gold medal in the 1500 mtrs
3,any of sir dick hadlees wickets
4, any of lance cairn's 6,s
5,stacey jones try in the 2002 g/f
6, any of danyon loaders olympic golds
7, black magic doing the bizzo to dennis conners at san diego
8,the tall blacks in this years world champs
9,the tall blacks playing the "dream team"at the sydney olympics
10,watching (and meeting) denny hulme and bruce mclaren at the Lady Wigram 500 in christchurch when i was a kid.
10=, seeing john britton on his bike at baypark

Agree with Willow regarding the Mark Taylor century in the 97 ashes.

I got a bit emotional for him then, however I had just got back from a nightout so it could have been the
embeer.gif
embeer.gif
emcocktl.gif

My favourite football moment is the night the Steelers beat Manly at Brookvale through a Rod Wishart try in thefinal seconds to seal a spot in the top 5 for the 1st time.

It was a Friday night game on TV, and it was also my brothers' 18th birthday so we had a great party that night.

imported_midas

Juniors
Prior to 1996 I would have had to think long and hard about this but after 1996 I have no problem-Keiren Perkins 1500 freestyle.

L

legend

Good call Midas. Perkins win against all odds was truly a great sporting moment and I too was cheering him home all the way.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
When Kieran Perkins won the Gold in the 1500 at Atlanta, all of Australia stopped to watch it. It was fine sporting moment, no doubt about it...shame that the yanks didnt give it any air time.

But since then I reckon ole Kieran has lost his panache in front of a camera... lacking a little in grace when names like Hackett and Thorpe are brought up.... I get the impression that he doesnt want them to be rated in the same breath as himself.

And then there was a little incident when Steve Holland was told that he couldnt use the nickname anymore because Perkins had registered the term 'Super Fish' as his trademark...

Kieran Perkins may have been a champion in the pool but imho, he's no champ out of the pool..

Steve Renoufs' length of the field try in the1992 Grand Final.

Mick Doohans' 5th World Championship.

My 11th placing in the Tenpin Bowling World Cup in 1985.

And my favourite is my 12 year old son at the time scoring his very first goal for his schools soccer team.

L

legend

Ahh yes, mighty Mick. Considering he was virtually riding on one leg he is a true legend of sport.

As for the Renouf try, that was probably one of the great grand final tries along with the Daley try of 94 and the Blacklock try of 99.

L

legend

I forgot one. Ricky Stuarts run in the second test against the British Lions at Old Trafford in 1990. The game was in injury time and the scores were locked at ten all in the best game of Rugby League I have ever seen and the Stuart/Meninga combination was more than enough to give me goose bumps.

The Lyons try earlier in the match is the best try I have ever seen as well. Magical stuff.

A great sporting moment for me was watching the Americas cup in '83 and listening to 2GB( i think) hugh trahan (sic) call the race.
"they have done it, they have done it, they have won the americas cup, they have done it, stand up australia stand up australia and give these boys a cheer, they have won the Americas cup"

My finest moment, Australia 2, 1983. Beat the Yanks, loved it.

KTW, 1985 Bowling World Cup?

I was a close to scratch bowler in those days, I reckon I could narrow it down to about 5 people. ;)

You may be interested in this one:

<table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Trotter Shoots 896 for 3 in AMF World Cup
</td></tr></TR> <tr> <td>(21-Oct-02)
</td></tr> <tr> <td valign=top>Australia's Paul Trotter has shot an amazing 896 series for 3 games in the AMF Bowling World Cup in Riga Latvia overnight. Starting with a 300, Trotter backed it up with back to back 298 games to lead the Men after 5 games (1291, 258.2ave). The 896 series is a Bowling World Cup record, and the 300 game the 15th perfect game in World Cup History. </td></tr></tbody></table>

(from AMF website)

My best is 718, that sort of put it in perspective. lol

Hey another bowler. I'm a veteran of 32 years in the sport. Although I haven't competed for a couple of years, I still coach and work in the industry.

OMG Paul Trotter? Good on him. I had no idea. Good to see the Aussies making their mark. I was invited to compete on the PBA in 83 for 4 weeks. I finished with a 217 average for my time there, but mate did they bring me down a peg or 3. There's nothing like throwing a 279 and losing by 20 sticks.

My highest official series is 749. In practice........810 with a22 strike run at Milton Bowl in Brisbane. In 96 here in Perth at Osbourne Pk Bowl I subbed for a friend and opened with a 159 lol. I finished with a 681 for 3 and took out the $5000 strike jackpot at the same time. I was really impressed, because that has been the one and only time I have bowled on those lanes.

E.A are you still competing? How many balls are you using and which was your all time favourite? CRUSH/R and The RAGE (awesome ball). My last couple of years I've straightened out my shot. Shooting off 7 board and aiming the ball up to the pocket. Sensor2 by Trac inc. Still allowed me to maintain revs without moving 30 boards. Also allowed me to get rid of my Blue dot for 10 pins.

I'm rambling now. I can talk this sport for hours on end.

Latest posts