What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your first live international cricket fixture.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Haha, nah, it just took me till I was 15 to see my first International game. Just makes all these 90s fixtures seem like everyone is old.

took me until i was 18. it depends a lot on where you live imo

i went to a few PM's XI games before then but they probably don't really count

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/65555.html

Not my first but that 1997/98 game at the SCG, against South Africa, had to be the rowdiest game I ever attended at the SCG. It was insane. They'd brought in new rules for crowd behaviour and I think after that, they changed a whole heap more.

We were two rows back from the fence, long, on the old Concourse (now the front of the Trumper Stand).

Wasn't a bad night until a group of 20 piss heads threatened 4 fellas with a knife and the cops piled in and it was on for young and old. The teens in the row in front, and me and 5-10 or so mates, jumped the fence and stood on the grass [in the days before boundary ropes]. One of the South Africans was fielding there, and he and the security guard told the 10 of us to get off the field, until we politely pointed out the police arresting all in the melee. neck locks, clubbing...lol.

I just remember the security guard saying something like "F#ck me!" and standing between us, the player and the fence making sure the fight didn't spill over.

After it settled, we got back to our seats to a half empty bay, for my deaf mate [whose mate was South African, so tried to wind him up by chanting to the South African's deep fielder near the fence] to stand up, slurring "We hate you because you're South African" clap, clap, clap and we had to swear to the cops he slurred not because he was drunk, but because he was deaf. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

At least I got on the back page of the newspaper...holding a stupid sign that said GOLDFISH for my girlfriend at the time. Seems like yesterday.

Attachments

• SCG 1997:98.jpg
    SCG 1997:98.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/65555.html

Not my first but that 1997/98 game at the SCG, against South Africa, had to be the rowdiest game I ever attended at the SCG. It was insane. They'd brought in new rules for crowd behaviour and I think after that, they changed a whole heap more.

We were two rows back from the fence, long, on the old Concourse (now the front of the Trumper Stand).

Wasn't a bad night until a group of 20 piss heads threatened 4 fellas with a knife and the cops piled in and it was on for young and old. The teens in the row in front, and me and 5-10 or so mates, jumped the fence and stood on the grass [in the days before boundary ropes]. One of the South Africans was fielding there, and he and the security guard told the 10 of us to get off the field, until we politely pointed out the police arresting all in the melee. neck locks, clubbing...lol.

I just remember the security guard saying something like "F#ck me!" and standing between us, the player and the fence making sure the fight didn't spill over.

After it settled, we got back to our seats to a half empty bay, for my deaf mate [whose mate was South African, so tried to wind him up by chanting to the South African's deep fielder near the fence] to stand up, slurring "We hate you because you're South African" clap, clap, clap and we had to swear to the cops he slurred not because he was drunk, but because he was deaf. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

At least I got on the back page of the newspaper...holding a stupid sign that said GOLDFISH for my girlfriend at the time. Seems like yesterday.

:lol:That's absolutely insane. You should've asked that South African fielder for his autograph whilst on the field.

Excluding streakers, last time I recall seeing someone jump onto the field in a game in Australia was Australia A vs West Indies at the SCG 1996 when Darren Lehmann hit the winning runs with a cut shot that went towards the square boundary before someone jumped the fence and picked up the ball on the field a couple of metres in front of the fence. This was in the days before ropes around all the boundary became mandatory in 2001/02.

I do recall that opening ODI of the 1997/98 tri-series but don't remember the bad crowd behaviour. Ian Harvey's ODI debut, got a good run-out at the bowlers end. Symcox bowled M Waugh with a sharp-turning off spinner (back when SCG was still a rank-turner). Australia's first match in the 'split-team' era (when Taylor (c) and Healy (wk) were ousted from the ODI side in favour of S Waugh (c) and Gilchrist (wk)). Sell-out before school holidays and on a school day (which would never happen now)

Last edited:
It was more a case of fear. Saw the knife and we bailed. Lol. The fielder and bouncer were flabbergasted and in shock, I think. On for a few minutes as bay cleared and we're a metre or so infield. Love to find a full game to see if any footage.

The beginning part of the day started with our mate going missing but waiting 40 minutes for beers. Returning and tripping, spilling the lot.

undertaker

Coach
It was more a case of fear. Saw the knife and we bailed. Lol. The fielder and bouncer were flabbergasted and in shock, I think. On for a few minutes as bay cleared and we're a metre or so infield. Love to find a full game to see if any footage.

The beginning part of the day started with our mate going missing but waiting 40 minutes for beers. Returning and tripping, spilling the lot.

What? So you actually saw someone take out a knife on someone? How the hell did he get into the ground with that?

chigurh

I recall an ODI in 2000/01 at the SCG where the game was ruined by a thunderstorm but Lara was tearing us a new one.

Magical night, ruined in the end.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/engine/match/65604.html
At Sydney, January 17 (day/night). Australia won by 28 runs (D/L method).
Toss: West Indies.
Rain cut short a tour de force from Lara, but he would have needed a near-miracle to change the result. West Indies' rejigged batting stumbled to 94 for five before Powell offered Lara some support; then three more wickets fell in eight balls, leaving West Indies 111 behind in the 37th over, and 67 below par on Duckworth/Lewis calculations. Lara was 74 at the time; he scored his next 42 runs from 25 balls, while one-day debutant Stuart contributed three, and his unbeaten 116, his 14th century at this level, had come from 106 balls with ten fours and two sixes. The Duckworth/Lewis deficit was now down to 28. Earlier, Waugh and Gilchrist had narrowly missed their second successive hundred opening partnership, after which Ponting, dropped twice, hit 93 in 74 balls.

Man of the Match: B. C. Lara.
Attendance: 39,540.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
First live cricket expirience was day 3 of the 1st test of the 2010/2011 ashes. Hussey and Haddin put up a massive partnership and both made hundreds, huss made his highest test score of 195.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
I never went to live international games of any sport growing up so missed out on a lot of great players in their primes.

As for cricket, pretty sure my first live game was one of the first Chappell Hadlee matches in Wellington, the one where Cairns dropped Symonds early who went on to score a century, and it went right down to the wire.

Havent been to a full 5 day test before either (only one or two days in isolation ) so looking to cross that off the old bucket list in the upcoming NZ Aus match at Basin Reserve in Feb.

undertaker

Coach
Went to day 1 of this test at the SCG:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63387.html

Kepler Wessels got 100 and half a dozen blokes from the hill ran out to congratulate him

wow, you've been around for a while. They haven't let fans onto the field for a long time. Last I can think of was the 1992 World Cup (pitch invasion twice at the end of the Australia vs India match).

Also, that SCG test was probably the one that started the 'spinning paradise' trend in the '80s and '90s, with Murray Bennett and Bob Holland taking 15 of the Windies 20 wickets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtDW90Hw0WI

Have a look at how much turn finger-spinner Murray Bennett got at 0:35 and the arm ball that dismissed Viv Richards. Insane that he was able to spin it past the vertical (i.e. could curve the ball sharply into the right-handed batsman, and still beat the outside edge). Undoubtedly his finest bowling performance in a short 3 test career.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
I honestly couldn't pin point it as dad took me to a day of the test and a one dayer every year since I can remember right up until they stopped selling full strength grog!

Highlights that I remember from when I was really young was the match where Bevan hit a 4 to win off the last ball (94 maybe??) and I remember the crowd absolutely giving it to Pay Symcox one match causing a delay in play (96 maybe??)