What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your first live international cricket fixture.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I remember when Gilly got promoted to opener in that series and scored a ton, that's one of the most memorable moments as a kid. I never went to the game but I really wish I did.

Gas Panic!

First Grade
Australia v Sri Lanka ODI at the SCG in December 1995. Sat in the Churchill Stand, but as the run chase came to a conclusion, I wandered down to the seating either in front of the Doug Walters or Bill O'Reilly Stand, and recall the crowd chanting for Shane Lee.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65530.html

Good little match this one - was only about 2 weeks before the famous Bevan heroics. Indeed, he hit a boundary to win this one with about 2 or 3 balls to spare, which at the time I thought was amazing. I was sitting in the O'Reilly stand and recall him hitting a sweet cover drive from the Randwick end towards the Members. Little did I know what would transpire some weeks later.

All kicked off with a Ponting run out, then Gurusingha batting in sunglasses and anxiously hoping Tubby would hit his first ODI ton. Not to be.

Also remember that night sadly as the night of the fatal armed hold up at The Gamesmen.

Gas Panic!

First Grade
Australia Vs South Africa, 2nd test, 1998 at the SCG

It was Steve Waugh's 100th test and had a good partnership with brother Mark. Junior got a ton and Steve fell a bit short. I remember Ponting hit a big six towards the Ladies Stand. Paul Reiffel who was in pretty good form with the bat got a duck and played one of his last tests.

Of course this was the test where Warney got his 300th wicket but I only attended Day 3. Still pretty memorable.

If I'm right, Allan Donald really peppered both Waughs with a firey spell at one stage. It was probably that day, I was in the Messenger stand.

Gas Panic!

First Grade
Plenty of happy memories in this thread.

My first one live was Australia A v England at the SCG in 1994/95 with my old man. Sat right on the fence in front of the O'Reilly stand, which as you'd know, means sun belting down on the face all afternoon. I've got no doubt I got sunburnt. Scored a packet of cricket cards on the way in.

Bevan and Blewett both scored tons and I was cut that Damien Martyn didn't get much of a start.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/66407.html

England ended up going for the lesser total to make the finals on net run rate (rather than to score more and win the match) and still fell short.

Hooked ever since.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If I'm right, Allan Donald really peppered both Waughs with a firey spell at one stage. It was probably that day, I was in the Messenger stand.

You're probably right. Steve Waugh mentioned in one his books that was the innings he struggled to get to 50. Both him and Pollock got 3 for each.

roofromoz

First Grade
Good little match this one - was only about 2 weeks before the famous Bevan heroics. Indeed, he hit a boundary to win this one with about 2 or 3 balls to spare, which at the time I thought was amazing.

1/1/96. Never got to see that live on TV, heard it on the radio as those were the days when only the first 2 hours of play were broadcast into the host city, and our aerial wasn't strong enough to pick up WIN.