What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your most hated players

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Beave, I've got the day off today so one thing I'm gonna do is watch that Brookie all-in again, since you've reminded me.

After getting marching orders Gifty and Blairy going toe-to-toe, then Snake charging in from behind, then Blairy mobbed by Manly before the Storm switch on.

You wouldn't want to explain that sentence to someone who's never seen it, ay?

Great stuff, maybe the last genuine rivalry where 2 teams did hate each other. Ridiculous part of that whole incident was that Stewart got binned for coming in to break up the fight lol
Think we had 5 players suspended from that game, the longest being Glenn who didn't return until the grand final

On hated Warriors, generally you won't find many because the majority of the Aussie clubs fans are happy to see the Warriors going well and there is no genuine rivalry going back decades like a Roosters/Rabbits, Sharks/Dragons, Parra/Dogs etc

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Non warriors:
Bird
Gallen
Tate (I REALLY hated him, to the point i'd yell 'HIT HIM' when he had the ball) - Completley won me over as a Warrior though
Hopoate

Warriors
Inu
Kemp
Kata

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Great thread.

Greg Bird. Absolutely terrible human being. If you can call him one.

Warriors? Don't recall hating any, quite a few I didn't rate though. Bodene in his last year I couldn't stand. Monty I never liked. Joel Moon was the dumbest Warrior of all time, and that's not a bad effort. Speaking of which, Kevin Locke would be second. Massive waste of talent, and a stupid bloke too who inspired one of the great quotes from the great man Micheal Luck 'when God was handing out brains Kevin was off chasing magic beans'

I can't believe Pricey's name came up. He's my second favourite all-time Warrior behind Simon. I worked in the media from 07-12, Pricey was an absolute gentleman. First class bloke, without fail. Also had minty fresh breath at all training.

Warriorsoul

Juniors
I disliked Price, but only toward the end. When he tore Michael Witt a new one for grandstanding that try that win the 2008 semi. Yeah it was a dumb thing to do, but the young guy had just finished off a miracle play for a legendary win and Price just absolutely gave it to him, then had a stand up argument with Fien who came in to defend Witt. From that point on Fine was on the outer and I reckon Price had lost the team a bit too. Not in any way degrading him up until then tho, he was a massive player for us, but never quite saw him in the same light tbh.

sup42

Juniors
Feleti Martell used to grate in defence.

Konrad....just think the guy was a bad influence.

Other clubs:

The King ( not Richie Barnet lol) THE KING WALLY.
Blocker
Sam Backo

Warriorsoul

Juniors
I used to dislike Brent Tate as well, for no real reason other than he used to always seem to pull out a huge game against the Warriors. Became quite a fan when he came here. Doubt I'd have felt the same way if we'd ever signed Mr William Slater, he gets away with crap that noone else would. :/

WellsNZ

Juniors
Hodges was my most hated without question.

Pretty much anyone who plays for the Broncos except Glenn. He seems to have not let the Donkey filth rub off on him. As young as I remember I f**king hated the Broncos. Not even sure why when I was like 5 and hated them haha.

I also hated Tate until he came to the Warriors.

Slater is right up there though but at the same time I've watched Slater do so many fantastic things and he's such a great player to watch and I'll think maybe I don't mind him so much anymore but then he'll always do something little thing that reminds me otherwise.

Boyd was up there but then he had his big meltdown and seemed not as bad.

Since Hodges left nobody has been able to take the throne and f**k me off as much as he did though.

Lussick would be up there too.

Only Warrior that immediately jumps to mind is Locke, still such a shame because at one point he was so good but that didn't last long. Was some guys that were frustrating that I would have liked to see get the boot but not in a I hate this guy way.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
I disliked Price, but only toward the end. When he tore Michael Witt a new one for grandstanding that try that win the 2008 semi. Yeah it was a dumb thing to do, but the young guy had just finished off a miracle play for a legendary win and Price just absolutely gave it to him, then had a stand up argument with Fien who came in to defend Witt. From that point on Fine was on the outer and I reckon Price had lost the team a bit too. Not in any way degrading him up until then tho, he was a massive player for us, but never quite saw him in the same light tbh.

This is interesting because Cleary (in typical subtle Cleary style) slammed Witt in public too, and to be honest I don't blame them all that much. I mean just IMAGINE if Cam Smith knocked the ball out of his hand, and he was split seconds away from pulling it off. We threw the season away.

If I remember correctly, it was Witt who got shoved out of the picture at that point not Fien. We bought Moon for some stupid reason and also resurrected Stacey, and Witt quickly left for Rugby Union and then I think ESL.

Blair

Coach
Witt was silly but, with ten years under the bridge, he had complete control of the situation. It got blown out of proportion because of the high stakes and the split second of horror - just put the ball down, son!

It is what it is now, and just adds to the drama of the try. So many tries get forgotten, that one never will.

From memory: Kirk, Tate, Fien, Hendo, Ropati, Manu, then Witt.

vvvrulz

Coach
That also reminded me Witt had the worst game of his Warriors career later against a red hot Manly, (whom we probably wouldn't have beaten anyway).

I wonder how much of his confidence was dented.

JJ

Immortal
As a kid it was pretty much anyone playing for the Broncos or Manly... simple as that really LOL

Nowadays I just don't like grubs - Blair, Luke are hard to like, have always disliked Slater because of that, despite his greatness

Actually, still really dislike the Broncos LOL and Melbourne - more about teams for me

Manly have grown on me - grew up reading the Silvertails stuff, but then also liked what I read about Broadhurst, Ward etc... and then really liked Hasler's teams (of course that in the context of them competing with Brisbane and Melbourne who I dislike...)

There are some that have obviously done merkin things off the field, won't name names, but don't know enough to judge, and clearly there's hypocrisy in how they're treated dependent on their talent

Blair

Coach
That also reminded me Witt had the worst game of his Warriors career later against a red hot Manly, (whom we probably wouldn't have beaten anyway).

I wonder how much of his confidence was dented.

I was right in front of him during a 'momentum-shifter'. We bombed on the fifth, Snake spilt it in front of the sticks, Warriors scrum.

Witt dropped it on the first.

The rout happened pretty much after that.

vvvrulz

Coach
I was right in front of him during a 'momentum-shifter'. We bombed on the fifth, Snake spilt it in front of the sticks, Warriors scrum.

Witt dropped it on the first.

The rout happened pretty much after that.

Yeah painful night!

Another very crucial moment was after kicking for touch early on deep in Manly territory (one of our tactics in those days); Fien put his ass on the line to recover a high ball, we shifted to Manu with a huge overlap and somehow muffed it.

Not long later we defend three sets on our line and eventually Brett Stewart gets through.

We score there and things would have been drastically different I feel.

Blair

Coach
Yeah painful night!

Another very crucial moment was after kicking for touch early on deep in Manly territory (one of our tactics in those days); Fien put his ass on the line to recover a high ball, we shifted to Manu with a huge overlap and somehow muffed it.

Not long later we defend three sets on our line and eventually Brett Stewart gets through.

We score there and things would have been drastically different I feel.

Yes, I was right there too. That was one of the first plays of the game, no? I recall the Wolfman got a hand on it, just enough to prevent Manu from getting a clean pass.

As the try looked on, I remember my brother (probably the 'fairest' of 'fair-weather' fans) shouting, 'Look at this!'

vvvrulz

Coach
Yes, I was right there too. That was one of the first plays of the game, no? I recall the Wolfman got a hand on it, just enough to prevent Manu from getting a clean pass.

As the try looked on, I remember my brother (probably the 'fairest' of 'fair-weather' fans) shouting, 'Look at this!'

Yeah that's right, this was really early on and we had shot out of the blocks that night.

In fact to be honest we weren't even *that* bad throughout - apart from that Witt knock on and later a marginal forward pass, there weren't many mistakes I recall. Manly were simply outrageous that year and proved it later with the 40 - 0 GF

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I was in the stands on that night as well, slightly fonder memories than you guys though ;)

Matai had a blinder that night, and the nail in the coffin was Lyon running through and scoring off a bomb just after ht. Play I remember vividly from that game was a kick into the ingoal from 50m out and Kite putting in the big ones to trap the fullback ingoal

vvvrulz

Coach
I was in the stands on that night as well, slightly fonder memories than you guys though ;)

Matai had a blinder that night, and the nail in the coffin was Lyon running through and scoring off a bomb just after ht. Play I remember vividly from that game was a kick into the ingoal from 50m out and Kite putting in the big ones to trap the fullback ingoal

I re-watched most of the game years later, and some of Manly's plays were out of this world.
They were better that year than 2011.

Can't seem to find that match anywhere online now, oh well.

Incidentally that was my gf's (now wife's) first real taste of the Warriors, a bunch of mates specifically got together to watch it unfold. Yeah... not a great match to sell your beloved team.