What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your opinion for the 2008 season?

To be honest its something that is making me worry in the sense that i do believe, teams that didn't make the 8 this season will be on the rise such as the dragons, penrith, roosters, tigers and titans.

I don't necessarily think we will struggle although one thing is for sure and that is we cannot depend to make the 8 like we did this season and rely on other teams to get us in. Not sure what the problem was this season because we had the squad to do well but they couldn't deliver.

The only player i am happy with in our backline is Luke Patten, Millard has also done well for his first year and the others are really down on form and really need to step up for next season. Sherwin's days are numbered if he doesn't pick up his form same applies with Hazem, Roberts is a good attacking player but needs to work on his kicking during the off-season.

Excited about some of our new signings, especially when it comes to Sullivan as well as Groom. I think they will fit in well at the club and i look forward to seen them play.

Another concern is the injuries that we have during the off-season: Hughes, Kouparitsas, Williams, Patten and possibly Millard. Some of those players may need surgery and despite the fact that they should be ready for week 1 of the 2008 season. Its very different been ready or saying you are ready but not actually been fit if these players don't have a good off-season and don't train with the team. (Perfect example of this is what we saw with Tonga since his injury from 2005 he hasn't been the same after that).

The club also needs to get rid of the womanizing/alcohol culture which its starting to develop. I am not saying don't have a social life but with certain individuals it seems that it is taking over their footy or effecting it in some way, which is why i strongly believe the club needs to find a stronger rule to enforce because honestly curfews and fines is a slap on the wrist, its about time the club got a bit serious with issues instead of letting them fly freely, and really nailed players if they got out of line, despite the fact that they might be "big names"!

My prediction: Dogs to finish around 4th-5th.

Smartman

Juniors
-Folkes needs to re invent himself and take a look on how Belamy does things, tactically Folkes was poor this year.

-Backline needs an overhaul (Patten excluded). Would tell the rest of them to shape up or ship out.

- Buy some sticky tape and stick it on some of the players lips before a game. We know who im talking about Reni and Mase espescially.

There are others but i cant be fekked at the moment.

If we stick with the same sh*t 12th-16th.

I think the culture of the club is starting to fade away the players are not playing with very much pride, and urgency as the dogs from 3 seasons ago did. As i mentioned in my last paragraph in my 1st post something needs to be done to address this issue because it is a an extremely serious matter that the club needs to fix before there are any more concerns, during the course of next season.

The only reason why i am confident that we will make the 8, is if you have a look at this season we played very average on a whole and still got in which makes me think how well we could of done if we played some decent football.

In regards to players talking it up before the game, i think this needs to stop maybe they can't help it if the media are in their faces and asking them questions which they feel like they have to respond to, they shouldn't though, they should simply not respond!

lukesdogs

Juniors
i see 08 as a major re-bulding years we will have some new players to the club who may find time to fit in. I do agree with others who say that folkes is stale he needs new ideas he has the players that have the ability to be great but at the moment that are playing to obivious or sitting on the beanch for to long i think we will make the 8 next year but i think 09 will be the year of the dogs.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I wouldn't give up on Utai or Tonga just yet. I still think they have a bit to offer- Utai has always had his flaws (the fact he's 3 feet tall, mostly) but has never lost that rare hard-running ability. Tonga has copped a lot of criticism but I seemed to see him make a heap of linebreaks this season. I still think he has the ability and 2008 might be a good year for him. IF they come with the right attitude and full fitness, Tonga and Utai can be a dangerous left-side combination.

Having said that, you really have nothing in the halves, and the backline needs a bit more pace and skill (tbh the guy I'd be most inclined to drop is El Masri). You need SBW fit and firing and you'll still be half a chance.

Kouparitsas may also miss the first month of football next season, just had an operation last week and its a very similar injury to what Gasnier had.

Hopefully the bloke recovers quickly though, we have plenty of forwards though so until he returns i think Te Maari will step up, because i do think folkes will not rush him back from injury and once koups does return it is likely that he will start in PL to gain fitness (2-3 weeks). So i wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him back before round 6-7.

crouching_tiger

Juniors
I think the Dogs have just about finished their re-building period with only a few more purchases still pending. The mobility has increased in the forwards with a bit more ballplaying skill introduced as opposed to the ol' bash'n'barge style of the past. The halves have a lot more creativity to offer now as opposed to the ol' safe kick it on the 5th tackle. The backs still need a bit of ironing out, just need to find some right combinations. The defensive patterns will benefit with the increased mobility. Good juniors rising from the lower grades also.

I think the fact that all our 5 grades made the finals sounds promising in regards to the future. I do think we should be able to make the 8 next season, just can't see us though been the same threat to the comp that we were back in 2002, 2003 and 2004, unfortunately i can't see that happening for a while. You can have the best team on paper but that necessarily won't mean much, until the players stop talking themselves up before the game and start to play the decent footy that they are capable of. I think the worrying part of all this though is the way we finished of the season. Hoping though for a much better display next season though.

Hanscholo

Bench
m8 tbh id say 2008 will be very similar to 2007. I dont see much changing for many of the clubs. Those that were rebuilding like Newcastle, StGeorge and Brisbane will continue to do so, and are way off being contenders for anythin else than 4th to 8th. Others with positional issues like Penrith and the Bulldogs will again struggle i believe. Melbourne and Manly have remained constant and will dominate again.

I honestly dont see much changing. No team lept out at me at the end of 2008 as being the next big thing, no sides that were in the 8 showed anything other than Melbourne, Manly and Parramatta.

I think next year will be a Melbourne by how many season, and who will they beat in the GF.

Looking from the outside in at the dogs id say its time for a new hooker so you can actually take advantage of that pack rather than gaining momentum for nobody to follow it up, roberts needs to come on or be replaced. Apart from that you guys will win some and lose some like 07.