What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Problem isn't Head

watatank

Coach
The longest run Soward ever got in first grade for the Roosters was 4 games in a row, most stints were one or two games. No up and coming rookie can cement their position in a side under those expectations, especially not a half, and definitely not when their forward pack was functioning as poorly as it was in 2006. Even during those games he did play, he still had a pretty good strike rate for trys and try assists. His defense was the issue, something that cannot be solved simply by dropping someone to reserve grade, the size and talent of players is severely lacking in comparison to the top grade. In reserve grade, during those times, he lead the competition in pretty much every key area that you'd expect from a half.

Whatever reason was, he didn't even look like a likely first grader at all based on my observations. tbh I didn't really rate him until he started playing in the 6 for us and that was about a year after he arrived.

As for the Rogers situation, how wasn't he made a scapegoat? Hornby stepped up his running and passing games in Soward's absence, and Rogers was credited with the change, leaving Soward out of the side. As a result, we were unable to build any pressure in close games because we had no kicking game.

Not that I agree with the decision but there were also positives for Rogers remaining in the side. You lost the kicking game but the centres saw more ball so that could be seen as a position. But I digress. When I talk about being made a scapegoat I am talking about the fan's perspective not the coach's.

Difference being, Soward played well in the two opening hitouts, and played the third with an injury. I'm not bashing head, but Soward has been far superior in these trials and Head has done little to secure his halfback spot. That being said, in round 1, Head should be given the halfback spot and given a chance to prove himself.

I don't think Head has been that bad but I agree that he hasn't done enough to secure his spot. I actually named Hornby as halfback for round 1. But it's not about that, the fact of the matter is Head doesn't deserve nearly as much hate as he gets.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Whatever reason was, he didn't even look like a likely first grader at all based on my observations. tbh I didn't really rate him until he started playing in the 6 for us and that was about a year after he arrived.
It was just over half a season after he arrived that he started playing in the 6. Prior to that, he was solid without being outstanding. But certainly showed his wares in quite a few games, such as the canberra game in 07.

Not that I agree with the decision but there were also positives for Rogers remaining in the side. You lost the kicking game but the centres saw more ball so that could be seen as a position. But I digress. When I talk about being made a scapegoat I am talking about the fan's perspective not the coach's.
Yet the centers were receiving the ball out of Hornby's hands, NOT Rogers. Get my point? Hornby stepped up in Soward's absence, not Rogers. Rogers was simply there for the ride, but when the going got tough, he nor Hornby could come up with any answers.

I don't think Head has been that bad but I agree that he hasn't done enough to secure his spot. I actually named Hornby as halfback for round 1. But it's not about that, the fact of the matter is Head doesn't deserve nearly as much hate as he gets.
I don't think he deserves as much praise as he gets from some fans either. Realistically, everyone is hoping he returns to his 05 form, something, that is near physically impossible for him now. I hope he can steer around a side, and let Soward get the creative juices flowing, from the 3 games I've seen Head play this season, his kicking has severely stifled our play, and his running game, well we all know what that is like. Head has done nothing for nearly 3.5 years now, perhaps people should stop clinging onto what was, and start looking at his performances in the present. He is not the same halfback he used to be, but all he needs to do is steer around our side and let Soward and Hornby take control in opposition 20.

watatank

Coach
It was just over half a season after he arrived that he started playing in the 6. Prior to that, he was solid without being outstanding. But certainly showed his wares in quite a few games, such as the canberra game in 07.

I will have to take your word for it, I was only calling it as I saw it.

Yet the centers were receiving the ball out of Hornby's hands, NOT Rogers. Get my point? Hornby stepped up in Soward's absence, not Rogers. Rogers was simply there for the ride, but when the going got tough, he nor Hornby could come up with any answers.

It's not an important point I was talking more about the fan perspective in which case he never was a scapegoat.

I don't think he deserves as much praise as he gets from some fans either. Realistically, everyone is hoping he returns to his 05 form, something, that is near physically impossible for him now. I hope he can steer around a side, and let Soward get the creative juices flowing, from the 3 games I've seen Head play this season, his kicking has severely stifled our play, and his running game, well we all know what that is like. Head has done nothing for nearly 3.5 years now, perhaps people should stop clinging onto what was, and start looking at his performances in the present. He is not the same halfback he used to be, but all he needs to do is steer around our side and let Soward and Hornby take control in opposition 20.

tbh the praise he gets is somewhat dominated by the amount of bashing he gets. I agree he is not the player he used to be that doesn't mean he doesn't have anything to offer. His organisational skills and his ability to take control of the team is still superior to others at the club and he still play a role in the team even without much of a running game.