What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Team for Rd 1 2017

BennyV

Referee
Rather than name an entire team I thought I'll just raise the most pertinent talking points..

1. Should friz move to the middle? .. As a few have mentioned he can have impact similar to taumalolo with the right ball players. Do we need someone with a better offload on the edge?

2. How to fit 3 into 2.... Nighty and Mann were our starting wingers, with Mann showing some good form on the wing. Now with MacDonald on board what's the plan?

3. Starting half? Does hutch steer the ship? Do we pursue Carney?

4. With McInnes appearing favourite for the hooker role, does havili earn a bench spot as backup hooker/ running forward?
Very good set of questions:
1. He starts on the edge. I don't trust Mary's judgement on this at all - his constant movement of edge players to the middle is purely laziness because he has no idea how to utilise strong edge runners. Friz is definitely more effective as a lock than our other options, but if we can utilise him on the edge then he is the most effective there. He definitely has an offload and runs the best angles of anyone at the club, despite not having the attacking structure.
That being said, Host continues to impress and will be pushing for a starting spot.

2. MacDonald starts. For whom, I don't know. But he is our best backline option. If we want to win, we need to pick the best team available.

3. I would personally go with Hastings. He has the confidence (or cockiness) to sort out the troops and lead the team around the park. Also has a decent kicking game. Had quite a good combo with Maloney at Roosters, less so with Pearce because their games are too similar. From a POV of who balances the best, I'd go for him over Carney.

4. Havili would be perfect for the bench hooker role.

Pjsaint

Juniors
I'l leave it to you then to happily support this rabble and not question why. It's the only way stuff is going to change
Rabble I'm afraid you lose me when you say words that describe player like Aiken,Frizzell, Dugan and co as rabble I admit that they were disappointing in 16 but bagging them isn't the answer and I'm sure other clubs would like some of our rabble as you put it

grouch

First Grade
Rabble I'm afraid you lose me when you say words that describe player like Aiken,Frizzell, Dugan and co as rabble I admit that they were disappointing in 16 but bagging them isn't the answer and I'm sure other clubs would like some of our rabble as you put it
Well, the club effectively laid the blame for the shitty season at the feet of those players when they retained the woefully incompetent coach, so yeah. Good luck with that

Pjsaint

Juniors
Well, the club effectively laid the blame for the shitty season at the feet of those players when they retained the woefully incompetent coach, so yeah. Good luck with that
I'm afraid coaches don't miss tackles or drop balls when in scoring positions by the way not all signings were Mary's doing ie benji he had 1 good year in three but I'm sure that there will be more players go before the end of 17 it's obvious that you can't have a player earning 500k playing NSW cup I excited to see Hutch as the half next year as I've already said I watch a 1st grade half in that gf that's without mentioning the u/20 combination and Dufty come on dragons can't wait

thebigredv

First Grade
I'm afraid coaches don't miss tackles or drop balls when in scoring positions by the way not all signings were Mary's doing ie benji he had 1 good year in three but I'm sure that there will be more players go before the end of 17 it's obvious that you can't have a player earning 500k playing NSW cup I excited to see Hutch as the half next year as I've already said I watch a 1st grade half in that gf that's without mentioning the u/20 combination and Dufty come on dragons can't wait

Fullstops are nice.

grouch

First Grade
You seem smart.

Mr Red

First Grade
I'm afraid coaches don't miss tackles or drop balls when in scoring positions

you are correct they don't.... but its their job as coach to stop them dropping balls or missing the tackles.
So, if the same problems exist in round 26 as did in round 1, you would have to assume either the players are rubbish, or the coach is rubbish... or both..

Since the club has vocally expressed their support for the coach, stating he has enormous potential and will be the coach in 2017, you would have to assume the board is indirectly saying that the players are to blame for the poor season.

Marshall and Rein being moved on indicates to me that is where the coach and board have identified the crux of the problems were, and somehow think McInnes and <insert name> for the halfback will fix?

Sorry this logic doesnt make much sense to me.
If they announced something like Segyaro and Norman as signings i would give them the benefit of the doubt, however McInness and no one doesnt fill me with confidence at the moment.

Pjsaint

Juniors
you are correct they don't.... but its their job as coach to stop them dropping balls or missing the tackles.
So, if the same problems exist in round 26 as did in round 1, you would have to assume either the players are rubbish, or the coach is rubbish... or both..

Since the club has vocally expressed their support for the coach, stating he has enormous potential and will be the coach in 2017, you would have to assume the board is indirectly saying that the players are to blame for the poor season.

Marshall and Rein being moved on indicates to me that is where the coach and board have identified the crux of the problems were, and somehow think McInnes and <insert name> for the halfback will fix?

Sorry this logic doesnt make much sense to me.
If they announced something like Segyaro and Norman as signings i would give them the benefit of the doubt, however McInness and no one doesnt fill me with confidence at the moment.
I'm sorry but or someone is Drew and some support for the local junior wouldn't go astray don't lose loyalty to our local products

Sigurd

Juniors
Who cares? The season is over before it's even begun. That is if you want to see the Dragons win. I'm giving some of your morons your wish and vacating this place. I have lost all interest. I think I'm going to jump on the Warriors and/or Gold Coast and/or NQ bandwagons next year. I see those teams being less in competition with the Dragons for sponsorship dollars, juniors and etc as well as playing entertaining style of game.

I will drop in occasionally to remind those who (incredibly) didn't see enough from Widdop this year to know he is an utter dud and together with McGregor and Doust, forms an axis of evil ruthlessly oppressing this once great club and team.

Pjsaint

Juniors
Who cares? The season is over before it's even begun. That is if you want to see the Dragons win. I'm giving some of your morons your wish and vacating this place. I have lost all interest. I think I'm going to jump on the Warriors and/or Gold Coast and/or NQ bandwagons next year. I see those teams being less in competition with the Dragons for sponsorship dollars, juniors and etc as well as playing entertaining style of game.

I will drop in occasionally to remind those who (incredibly) didn't see enough from Widdop this year to know he is an utter dud and together with McGregor and Doust, forms an axis of evil ruthlessly oppressing this once great club and team.
All I can say is good bye no need to drop in

Old Timer

Coach

Your words "think I'm going to jump etc" a contradiction if ever there was one.
Don't be like all your other incarnations and disappear when the going gets tough hang around and enjoy the exposure you have been getting.

Walpole

Juniors

One of your best. "Vacating this place" doesn't mean coming back with yet another username.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
My side with confirmed players only.

1. Dugan (although I believe his time at fullback is almost up due to time, injuries, and a general lack of pace).

2. MacDonald (fingers are crossed this bloke is superior to Nabuli).

3. Aitken (I have faith in the kid).

4. Milne (for now only, has a high error rate).

5. Nightingale (he plays out his career on his own terms).

6 Mann (personally, I feel five-eighth is the team's biggest worry....not halfback)

7. Widdop (good enough to make the transition)

13. DeBellin (stop playing him as a second pivot, coach).

12. Thompson (too inconsistent, needs to do more, should've gone close to SOO representation by now)

11. Frizzell (seriously needs to be considered for captaincy responsibilities)

10. Packer (there's too much pressure on this bloke to intimidate opposition sides)

9. Any of the girls from The Penthouse in Pitt Street would be better hooking options than the likes of McInnes, Havili, and McCrone.

8. Sims (must continue his good from from the end of the season)

Reserves: here's were things get really tough.

14. Masoe (so much is hoped from a bloke coming back from a knee "reco", and is trying to resurrect an NRL career that was abbreviated by failed stints at the Roosters and Penrith).

15. Marketo (actually, I'm one of his few 'fans'....his versatility, enthusiasm, and sound defensive technique are all badly needed).

16. Au Mau (is much improved but is still a 'Jon Green' style of player.

17. Leiluia (I strongly suspect he's going elsewhere now that McGregor has kept his job).

Postscript: Dunamis Lui should NEVER be considered for first grade again. Already punted by Brisbane and Manly, I wonder how many of my fellow posters noticed this guy doing his best 'Dan Hunt' during games. Truly awful.

Does anyone know Tyrone McCarthy's status for next year?

Last edited: