What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team to play Manly

Pezz70

Juniors
Th writing was only the wall before the kick off, our starting back row was crap and the team had shown little over the last few weeks. A mate offered me 20 start and I knocked him back, I also told him that if Manly didn't put 40 on us they weren't premiership contenders. We won't win another game this year with this squad playing the way they have been playing over the last couple of months.

Our defence wasn't working as a unit, it killed us. We are far from innovative, look at the top runners in the comp every tackle has three men, two halt progress, the third comes in later, takes the man to the ground the top two roll him over on to his back. Or two take him to the ground a third runs slightly later and flops. There were probably 15 occasions last night that Manly had a third player come in just as the tackle was all but completed ,they probably should have been pinged 6 or 7 times, but it worked well for them, QLD did the same thing on Wednesday night. You would have thought with Kidwell on the coaching staff we'd have started to wrestle more efficiently. In contrast to the Manly defence our boys couldn't get them on their backs at all , they almost always got to play the ball standing up or from their knees.

We played up and in in our own 20 but wingers and centres kept shooting up out of th line and it presented manly with extra attacking options too regularly. It's a reflection that our outside backs are defensively incompetent/lack confidence in their ability. I'd prefer to see a compressed line with lateral movement, the inside defenders would have to work harder.

Moses definitely needs time to build up. On what he has put out so far in NRL he is going to get broken. Not critical of the lad but he is too light and way behind on strength. He was a boy playing against men out there last night and it'll be disastrous if he is allowed to play on at this level, put him away for next year or even 2016. We will not make the eight so why feed him to the wolves.

Not much to be said about our attack, there was no foundation for anyone to play good footy. When we did get a set or two with quick play the balls we looked pretty good, but we were dominated and coming of our backs every play the ball and couldn't get the defence back pedalling.

Tigerm

First Grade
Just watched the replay, we are gone, thank Christ this was the Wests side & not the Tigers side LOL. Not sure when we will be back but against quality sides.... maybe year after next, just woeful IMO. Why /how can supposed FG players play like this?

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors
disagree with many of the negative sentiments.

There is real talent among the younger players and there is every chance we can win at least half of the remaining 8 games.

There were some slick ball movements among the backs and the forwards got over the advantage line often. We dropped the ball too often and that killed us.

Tiger05

First Grade
disagree with many of the negative sentiments.

There is real talent among the younger players and there is every chance we can win at least half of the remaining 8 games.

There were some slick ball movements among the backs and the forwards got over the advantage line often. We dropped the ball too often and that killed us.

I agree with this. It was a poor effort but it was dumb penalties and dropped balls etc that killed us.

I think we still lose that game as Manly are a quality team but we didn't give ourselves a chance.

There is plenty of talent in our juniors. Our pack looks solid. We also had Tedesco and Simona out.

My main concern is that Brooks needs to start putting it all together. He seems like he could be anything but he needs to start winning us some games.

rex2ce

Juniors
Like everyone else I read all the fanfare re Brooks iminent first grade career, now that he is 3/4 of the way through his first fg season, I'm wondering what all the fanfare was about, i know he deserves some time, but have not seen glimpses of anything special yet whereas Moses, who is apparently too small, has sparked the side when playing at 6

macnaz

Staff member
It's a bit hard to criticise Brooks at the moment, looking at he outside backs he has to work with...

Thats the key ... has produced plenty with Teddy in the side ,, but seriously what the f**k can u do for Lawrence's side of the field ?? Jeez u would need a daisey cutter to totally abliterate the defensive line to help something happen down that side.

Tiger05

First Grade
Moses, who is apparently too small, has sparked the side when playing at 6

Yep. Moses just looks like he will create space. The pass to Nofo the other day was exactly what we need.

I'm not writing Brooks off yet but he does need to do more.

I'm also starting to warm to Austin. He looks good and his defence the other day looked solid as well. I think all 3 of them need to be in the team.

rex2ce

Juniors
I think Austin's long term future at the Tigers is as a centre,I doubt that the club has the money to buy a centre, so should create one with Austin , he deserves a spot in the run on side

macnaz

Staff member
I think Austin's long term future at the Tigers is as a centre,I doubt that the club has the money to buy a centre, so should create one with Austin , he deserves a spot in the run on side

Id be happy with that , in the meantime he has to be fullback .... reason being .. Moses needs to be playing in the position he is going to play next year and I really feel we need a fill in fullback and Austin looks as tho he can fit in and fulfill that spot. And then pick ppl from state cup to cover Simona etc.

N.C.

Juniors
Macnaz are you suggesting Moses should be playing 6 in the NRL or the State Cup side?

Tiger05

First Grade
Id be happy with that , in the meantime he has to be fullback .... reason being .. Moses needs to be playing in the position he is going to play next year and I really feel we need a fill in fullback and Austin looks as tho he can fit in and fulfill that spot. And then pick ppl from state cup to cover Simona etc.

I agree with this although I would even play Austin in the centres and pick someone from state cup to cover Tedesco.

That means though that we need to find another spot for Lawrence or drop him. I would try him on the wing. He might get some more space and he can belt it up. Nofo, Lawrence and Tedesco hitting it up at the start of every 6 would work assuming Lawrence can catch the ball.

It also means Richards has to be let go. Personally I think the only reason Richards is there is for his kicking game but I figure someone else can fill that role. Maybe if we were a top team with a gun backline having Richards there makes sense but when we are plodders I don't think you can justify his spot.

Fordy20

Juniors

Austin doesn't have a long term future at the Tigers. He's just serving time before he makes way for one of the clubs favoured sons, much like our coach at the moment. Both deserve better.

Like everyone else I read all the fanfare re Brooks iminent first grade career, now that he is 3/4 of the way through his first fg season, I'm wondering what all the fanfare was about, i know he deserves some time, but have not seen glimpses of anything special yet whereas Moses, who is apparently too small, has sparked the side when playing at 6

Playing Brooks on only one side of the field limits his involvement in the game,Potter has probably done this to lessen the burden on him while he finds his feet in FG,but sooner or later you would think Brooks will be given a licence to operate both sides of the ruck.Both Fitler and Johns have also remarked and questioned the benefit of this tactic.:eek:

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Austin doesn't have a long term future at the Tigers. He's just serving time before he makes way for one of the clubs favoured sons, much like our coach at the moment. Both deserve better.

I think you're right Fordy about Austin. Just quietly I think he has been our best attacking option for the past few weeks. He has added spark whether playing at 9, 6 or 1 so I really wonder why he isn't one of the first chosen each week.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think you're right Fordy about Austin. Just quietly I think he has been our best attacking option for the past few weeks. He has added spark whether playing at 9, 6 or 1 so I really wonder why he isn't one of the first chosen each week.

I like him as well. He looks good. I think he has a future with us as well. He can play lots of positions well. I did see him miss some tackles earlier at various times however I think he has shown good defence when played at 6 and he could do that in the centres as well.

I think he deserves a spot in the team.