What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team versus NQ? ...Maloney out, Matulino in doubt

hitman82

Bench
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10824858
All of the boys feel very down about that performance. We have got to bury that, get out against North Queensland and show what we are capable of.Brian McClennan, Warriors coach Kick a sick dog often enough and it will either get up and bite or roll over and die.

There wasn't much bite in the Warriors yesterday. There wasn't even a bark. A victory would have put them back inside the top eight but even that knowledge wasn't enough of a carrot to raise anything more than a desultory effort from a side that has taken its licks over the last three weeks.

There's another apt dog analogy here - the one about the size of the fight in the dog being more important than the size of the dog in the fight. For that to matter, first you have to have a fight. There wasn't one yesterday.

From the moment Todd Carney blocked Shaun Johnson's grubber and ran 90m to open the scoring, the Sharks did pretty much whatever they wanted.

The Warriors moped around with heads bowed and shoulders hunched. Dejected, deflated and worse, defeated already with the vast majority of the match still ahead of them.

By halftime they trailed 21-4. It could have been worse, and soon was. At 33-4 with 20 minutes still to play, many in the shrinking crowd began heading for the exits. Even in the dark old days, Mt Smart has seldom been this funereal. This was dire. This was rock bottom.

"This would be our darkest day this year," coach Brian McClennan said.

There was bad news to go with the gloom, too. James Maloney limped off with a knee injury after just 14 minutes. How long he will be out is unclear, but he will not make next week's trip to Townsville - a regular graveyard for the Warriors.

Prop Ben Matulino is also doubtful with a pectoral injury that will be scanned today.

Maloney's replacement, 20-year-old Carlos Tuimavave, is expected to have a big future at the club. His introduction to life in the NRL came courtesy of a fend in the face from veteran Sharks centre Colin Best.

The youngster was left sprawling on the turf as Best raced away and sent halfback Jeff Robson over for an embarrassingly simple try.

Tuimavave at least recovered well, sparking a couple of nice short side raids that ended with a Bill Tupou try that was already a consolation despite coming on with 50 minutes still to play.

The worm has turned for McClennan's young side, and it is burrowing towards the foot of the NRL ladder.

The coach lamented the passivity his side displayed in the early exchanges, saying it led to the hammering that was to come.

"All of the boys feel very down about that performance," he said. "That is not us. We have got to bury that, get out against North Queensland [on Saturday night in Townsville] and show what we are capable of."

The Sharks had not managed a win in their past four matches but this performance suggested their tough run may be coming to an end. The 41-point victory was their biggest over the Warriors, cementing a top eight position that had been slipping away.

For a Warriors side that narrowly avoided one of the heaviest losses in the club's history, it was an emphatic final nail in a coffin lid that had begun to swing shut with the meltdowns against Newcastle and Manly.

"It has made it as difficult as it can be," McClennan said of the club's finals prospects.

"There is still an outside chance if we win four. It is not over completely."

Veteran forward Micheal Luck played 80 minutes for the Vulcans on Saturday but whether he is considered for the trip to Townsville will depend on how well he recovers this week.

Regular captain Simon Mannering is still considered doubtful because of an ankle injury.

hitman82

Bench
1 Locke
2 Tupou (by default)
3 Hurrell (being optimistic here)
4 Henry
5 Vatuvei
6 Tuimavavae
7 Johnson
8 Lillyman
9 Friend
10 Steve Rapira
11 Martel
12 Taylor
13 Ikahihifo

14 Brown
15 Package
16 Lousi
17 Godinet

If Hurrell isn't available: Tuimavavae to centre, Godinet to 6 and Lousi 2 into the team.

...f**k me that's dire.

vvvrulz

Coach
Its imperative that Brown and Topou are at the Vulcans and Henry gets moved out of centre. Even if these spots are filled with rookies its better than what we have now. One thing about Cleary, he was never afraid to drop someone.

blain

Juniors
Haha, wow that team is awful. Apart from Packer and Matulino, I cant think of anyone in our team who is in form or have had a consistant year.

ozbash

Referee
Just hope they leave the U20s alone.

There is a Minor Premiership on the line.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Honestly no idea. We're out of props (genuine ones anyway) and we're out of wingers and centres. On top of that we're travelling to Nth Qld to take on a tough Cowboys team.

With my pick i'm going to assume that everyone under an injury cloud won't play so no Matulino, Mannering, Rapira, Hurrell, Maloney.

1. Locke
2. Tupou, unless we can find a wet paper bag who can catch (defence is already better.)
3. Tuimavavae
4. Henry - Ugh
5. Vatuvei
6. Godinet
7. Johnson
8. Packer
9. Friend
10. Lousi
11. Mateo
12. Taylor
13. Ikahihifo

14. Rapira
15. Brown
16. Lillyman
17. Lousi 2

If Luck is available then in he comes for Ikahihifo and Lousi 2 drops out.

Horrible team. Brown, Tupou, Rapira Jr, and Henry are only there by default. Taylor is starting to grind my gears as well. Admire his work ethic and attitude but he needs to start thinking about what's best for the team, especially when teammates are too quiet to bring him into line.

JoeD

First Grade
Just hope they leave the U20s alone.

There is a Minor Premiership on the line.
this kind of thinking is part of the reason the first grade is in the shit

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Everyone seems to get a turn so Penehe must be due a run at some stage. If not him, then I'm sure we can experiment with Manu in the centres and bring up our best U20's winger......Toka Likiliki.

JoeD

First Grade
I'd like to the club to get the message across that while U20's is vital, winning the U20 every year should not be it's primary focus.

Meth

Staff member
Geeeez. Assuming Maloney and Matulino are out and Mannering is in doubt.

1- Locke
2- Tupou (by default)
3- Hurrell/Henry (by default)
4- Tuimavave
5- Vatuvei
6- Godinet
7- Johnson
8- Lillyman
9- Friend
10- Packer
11- Brown (by default)
12- Mannering/Taylor
13- Ikahihifo

Res- Rapira, Lousi, Lousi, Taylor/Luck

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Too late for FG.

Jnrs have a comp to win. They were rudderless without Carlos yesterday..

If it's best for his development that he plays FG, then FG he shall play. I'm tempted to say I couldn't care less about a U20s Premiership (I can, got to watch someone on GF day) because we've won a couple of them and here we are in the NRL....13th. With lots of them playing.

I'd be tempted to send Lewis to the Vulcans, given his form and the fact he's going. But problem is, teams have cliques. If he's in one, it could be detrimental.

I dont see any point playing him. Give him the final home game to say goodbye, but I see more benefit in giving guys like Ika and Sam L time in the middle in first grade.

2012 has been a disaster, but we can still get some small benefit out of the final weeks by giving some much needed experience to the rookies that will no doubt get some major game time next year.

ozbash

Referee
What has Jordan Meads done? Surely he should of been in the Jnrs squad yesterday...

I dont know. Only seen him play a couple of times this year and he looked ok. Going ok in the Vulcans apparently.

Good replacement for Jimmy ?

Meth

Staff member
I dont see any point playing him. Give him the final home game to say goodbye, but I see more benefit in giving guys like Ika and Sam L time in the middle in first grade.

2012 has been a disaster, but we can still get some small benefit out of the final weeks by giving some much needed experience to the rookies that will no doubt get some major game time next year.

I'd play Luck if Mannering is unavailable. Give us a bit of leadership in the middle of the park.

tangalife

Juniors
bluey will still want to win to save his credibillity and ultimately his arse so he wont experiment too much.

plus it would be good to see how the team goes with the michael luck factor. if we play better (especially defence) then it sends a strong message of the type of player we really to be looking at for next year.

Latest posts