What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your thoughts on an idea

Quidgybo

Bench
I'd much rather see the Queensland teams play an annual pre-season Tri Series. Each team would get their two NRL sanctioned trial games, the regional centres of Queensland would get to see the teams they overwhelmingly support and have the most interest in, it would build on and offer an extra opportunity each year to exploit the "derby" rivalries (in the same way that AFL build up the WA and SA derbys), and it'd potentially be saleable to pay TV as a Charity Shield type product. A Queensland Cup (or whatever, yes I know).

Week 1 - Cowboys vs Brisbane @ Cairns
Week 2 - Brisbane vs Gold Coast @ Toowoomba
Week 3 - Gold Coast vs Cowboys @ Rockhampton
Week 4 - Rest
Week 5 - Premiership Round 1

Next year, swap the teams around so that the Titans visit NQ and the Broncos host the Cowboys somewhere in southern Queensland etc etc.

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I like Angry's idea more. Brisbane already play the Cowboys in round 1 so I don't want to be playing them in pre season as well.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Quidgybo said:
I'd much rather see the Queensland teams play an annual pre-season Tri Series. Each team would get their two NRL sanctioned trial games, the regional centres of Queensland would get to see the teams they overwhelmingly support and have the most interest in, it would build on and offer an extra opportunity each year to exploit the "derby" rivalries (in the same way that AFL build up the WA and SA derbys), and it'd potentially be saleable to pay TV as a Charity Shield type product. A Queensland Cup (or whatever, yes I know).

Week 1 - Cowboys vs Brisbane @ Cairns
Week 2 - Brisbane vs Gold Coast @ Toowoomba
Week 3 - Gold Coast vs Cowboys @ Rockhampton
Week 4 - Rest
Week 5 - Premiership Round 1

Next year, swap the teams around so that the Titans visit NQ and the Broncos host the Cowboys somewhere in southern Queensland etc etc.

Leigh.
Do you expect full strength teams? Three extra games per year.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Mr Angry said:

I hope he doesn't expect full strength sides as he is on some hard drugs if he believes that!

Quidgybo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
I like Angry's idea more. Brisbane already play the Cowboys in round 1 so I don't want to be playing them in pre season as well.
Brisbane playing the Cowboys in Round 1 is a hang over from the days when nobody thought the Cowboys would draw a crowd in Brisbane after they'd suffered the inevitable string of thrashings each year. But since the Cowboys got their act together, there's no longer any real reason for it to be played in Round 1. It's wasting a showcase match on a weekend that will always draw top crowds anyway. IMHO it would be better played later in the year with a more even spread of meetings including a pre-season clash. Say once in the pre-season, once in the lead up to Origin (around the same week as NSW's City vs Country), and once in the run down to the finals (say round 19 or 20). Over recent years the Cowboys vs Brisbane derbys have been all over by round 7 or 8, leaving another 10 months until they meet again. Way too long between drinks for the two most popular teams in Queensland. This year they've changed that but now it's at the expense of the pre-Origin meeting which has served as a defacto QLD City/Country clash.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
Mr Angry said:
Who said anything about extra games? I said each team gets their two NRL sanctioned trial matches (exactly as they do now). Instead of the Cowboys playing trial matches against the Warriors and Manly, they play the Titans and Broncos. Where's the extra matches? What strength team the respective sides choose to field in each match is entirely up to that team. Just as it is in the Charity Shield. And just as now there is nothing to stop the sides organising a third trial against a QLD Cup or Premier League side on one of their spare weekends if they want an additional light run.

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Um... no thanks, but nice little effort. Cowboys and Brisbane have good showcase matches in the season. Apart from being stupid give me another reason why we should play them in the trials. I'd much rater take the games to remote areas playing other sides instead. The queensland side will always draw well in Queensland, no need to have 2 qld sides in a trial situation FFS! The meetings this year are fine, leave them be.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Quidgybo said:
Who said anything about extra games? I said each team gets their two NRL sanctioned trial matches (exactly as they do now). Instead of the Cowboys playing trial matches against the Warriors and Manly, they play the Titans and Broncos. Where's the extra matches? What strength team the respective sides choose to field in each match is entirely up to that team. Just as it is in the Charity Shield. And just as now there is nothing to stop the sides organising a third trial against a QLD Cup or Premier League side on one of their spare weekends if they want an additional light run.

Leigh.
Mate I appreciate the feedback, but the I am talking full strength teams for the match I proposed.

Quidgybo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Um... no thanks, but nice little effort. Cowboys and Brisbane have good showcase matches in the season. Apart from being stupid give me another reason why we should play them in the trials.
I gave you four.

I'd much rater take the games to remote areas playing other sides instead.
Why? Is there any reason not to take the games to remote areas *with* two QLD sides playing?

The queensland side will always draw well in Queensland, no need to have 2 qld sides in a trial situation FFS!
But is there any reason not to FFS? There is actually one very good reason to have Qld sides clashing - television. The Qld showdowns are matches that generate huge interest beyond the ground (ie. ratings) and something that Pay TV fall over themselves to cover. In the pre-season the built in rivalries of such a series would give television an angle they could easily market and a guaranteed audience. Just like the Charity Shield.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
Mr Angry said:
Mate I appreciate the feedback, but the I am talking full strength teams for the match I proposed.
And how do you guarantee full strength teams any more than I can guarantee full strength teams for any of my proposed matches? It's still the pre-season! Are we really arguing that the Titans would take a trial match more seriously just because it's against a side also located next to a beach? At least I've got long standing internal state/regional rivalries to motivate the teams on the side of my proposal (particularly North v South and Brisbane v Gold Coast).

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Quidgybo said:
But is there any reason not to FFS? There is actually one very good reason to have Qld sides clashing - television. The Qld showdowns are matches that generate huge interest beyond the ground (ie. ratings) and something that Pay TV fall over themselves to cover. In the pre-season the built in rivalries of such a series would give television an angle they could easily market and a guaranteed audience. Just like the Charity Shield.

Leigh.

It is a waste of time. Televsion will draw more in season anyway, plus most remote areas would not have TV facilities anyway so that point is a waste of time to even debate. Ratings..bit hard to do that if there is no coverage, which is boubtful if you had it in outback Queensland or some other remote area!

Quidgybo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
It is a waste of time. Televsion will draw more in season anyway,
So? The fact it would draw more in season doesn't say anything about whether it'd draw enough in itself to make it worthwhile for television. Even half the normal audience for a Qld derby is hardly an insignifcant number. You could play the Broncos v Cowboys at the bottom of a coal mine with the winner being awarded a can of XXXX and half the state would still want to tune in.

plus most remote areas would not have TV facilities anyway so that point is a waste of time to even debate. Ratings..bit hard to do that if there is no coverage, which is boubtful if you had it in outback Queensland or some other remote area!
Ok, so let's examine where matches are played now and where I'm proposing. Cowboys vs Warriors in Mackay, Cowboys vs Manly in Cairns, Titans vs Parra at Lismore. And I've suggested Cairns, Rockhampton and Toowoomba. Throw in Mackay, the Sunshine Coast and northern NSW as alternatives. Virtually all these centres have hosted televised pre-season or premiership matches at some point, they're hardly off the map (or outside a three or four hour drive for an Outside Broadcast van). You seem to be under the mistaken impression that television facilties in these centres are still in some dark age vastly removed from those in Townsville or any other major regional centre.

Leigh

lockyno1

Post Whore
No becuase frankly these derby's are spitefull clases and I sure as heck do not want any injuries going into the season. TV will always be a problem in these remote areas as it costs money to broadcast it!

Quidgybo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
No becuase frankly these derby's are spitefull clases and I sure as heck do not want any injuries going into the season.
Ahh, so after we've danced around it for a few posts, there's the real reason. Better give Benny a yell and get that Grand Final re-match against Melbourne called off. Probably should've held firm on canceling the WCC too. But it seems the potential spitefulness of these clashes weren't big enough concerns to to prevent the Broncos management and coaching staff from going ahead with not just one but both! Perhaps two hard hit outs is exactly what the longest serving professional coach in the game considers the club needs in the pre-season. I very much doubt clashes against the Titans and Cowboys could be any riskier.

TV will always be a problem in these remote areas as it costs money to broadcast it!
Just as it does from Townsville. Yet Fox have managed it 11 or 12 times a year for almost the last decade. Cairns is hardly going to cost much different and I'd suggest Toowoomba, with its proximity to Brisbane, would be significantly cheaper.

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Frankly I don't want injuries and neither do the Titans or the Cowboys for that matter. There is less chance of the games being spiteful if the game only features 1 QLD team.

Quidgybo

Bench
Totally ignoring the point that they're organising matches like that anyway against their GF opponents from last year and against the SL Premiers. And in last year's trials they played the Cowboys (another Qld team!) and the Storm (and the Raiders). So what on earth is the problem with organising the Cowboys and Titans?!? I'm simply suggesting business as usual in the games on the paddock but that we take advantage of the marketing opportunities (particularly television interest) created by bringing the three Qld teams together instead of equally tough opponents X and Y.

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Quidgybo said:
Totally ignoring the point that they're organising matches like that anyway against their GF opponents from last year and against the SL Premiers. And in last year's trials they played the Cowboys (another Qld team!) and the Storm (and the Raiders). So what on earth is the problem with organising the Cowboys and Titans?!? I'm simply suggesting business as usual in the games on the paddock but that we take advantage of the marketing opportunities (particularly television interest) created by bringing the three Qld teams together instead of equally tough opponents X and Y.

Leigh.

Ever though the fact that we play Melbourne becuase their main feeder club is in the QLD Cup. That is why we played them, nothing to do with last years premiership. As for the SL crap, well I hate the WCC and I would have wished that we sent over our 2nd string side. How exactly are they tough when most of the top players will only play 40% of the trial matches. Cowboys and the Titans have their own trials, we have ours. Lets let it be, there is nothing wrong with the trials as they stand currently. We don't need ridiculously hard matches in which more injuries will happen (cowboys, and potentially tiatns) when we are less than a month away from kickoff!

Quidgybo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Ever though the fact that we play Melbourne becuase their main feeder club is in the QLD Cup. That is why we played them, nothing to do with last years premiership. As for the SL crap, well I hate the WCC and I would have wished that we sent over our 2nd string side. How exactly are they tough when most of the top players will only play 40% of the trial matches. Cowboys and the Titans have their own trials, we have ours. Lets let it be, there is nothing wrong with the trials as they stand currently. We don't need ridiculously hard matches in which more injuries will happen (cowboys, and potentially tiatns) when we are less than a month away from kickoff!
You are still ignoring the point (twice now) that they are already playing "ridiculously hard matches in which more injuries will happen" (eg. Cowboys and Storm, St Helens and Storm) when you "are less than a month away from kickoff!" How would the Cowboys (same as 2005) and Titans (subsituting for the Storm) be any different? Of course they wouldn't be any different, they'd still be just trial matches. Both the Broncos and the other teams would still be free to play their players in only 40% of the matches. I'll repeat that, they are still just trials. The fact we use some smarts to create a marketing opportunity is totally irrelevant to what happens on the paddock or how the clubs choose to make use of a trial.

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
How are they playing hard matches? Raiders and Storm are a hell of a lot easier on the side than playing the owboys and the Titans. We get to play the Titans and GC in season. Leave it at that. Simple as that. Cowboys play a taxing type of football which takes a hell of a lot out of players physically and so will the taitans with the amount of pace in the side. I would not want Brisbane to be playing the Tutans until they are ready which will be Round 1.