What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your thoughts on our line-up?

Billythekid

First Grade
Well our start to this year has been less than impressive, and attack still isn't looking to hot. I am just interested to hear everyone else opinion on our squad.

I guess the best way to do it is to look at each player individually but i general comments work to.

Slater - Looks great as always little to be said here. Only negative i can say here is that sometimes i think our rigid structure in attack limits his ability. It would be scary to think what he could achieve playing for someone like the warriors.

Turner - Really his mostly on the team for speed and i have seen him get outrun by players he really shouldn't be. Hes not big, hes not overly quick, doesn't have the best leap or step and sometimes get caught out in defense. Hes a liability at the worst of times and an average winger at the best. He does shut off some overlaps so i should give credit where it's due.

Chambers - Looked better last week but still pretty average. He just doesn't have the try scoring ability we need at the moment. Solid if not spectacular, probably our best outside back so far this year which is saying a lot. Hey at least he doesn't keep running into touch anymore :D

Isa - Again average. I don't see how he got in front of Tomane. He doesn't look to strong or fast and i have doubts of hes ability to catch the ball. Ineffective in defense and certainly not great at positioning himself. I wouldn't have him on the team right now.

Quinn - The best thing he does is sometimes shut down overlaps by rushing in with a hit. He also makes some hard metres up the ruck. However he is slow for a winger and he is also short. Wingers are there to score tries and well quite frankly Quinn just isn't to good at that. I doubt many would argue that he has been quite sub par so far this year.

Overall our outside backs are sh*thouse, arguably the worst in the league (i know i will get called out on that). How do we improve this i don't know. Maybe start by putting Tomane in front of Isa. Inglis back to the centres would also be great but i guess we don't have a 5/8 :(. If something doesn't change i can see us being in the bottom half of the top 8 this year.

Inglis - He just goes missing. Best player in the game one week, barely does anything the next. Most of the great plays he does basically involve him running out wide like a centre, perhaps there is a reason for that. He just isn't involved enough for a 5/8 and quite frankly most of the time his ball playing skills are average. He basically just shuffles the ball along. We need him back in the centres.

Cronk - Looks alright. Kicking game has been pretty good. Would like to see him take on the line more effectively. I think hes short passing game with Slater and Hoffman and co has been a little off but i expect there will be a lot more success with it soon. I think he has been under a lot of pressure because he is dealing with a strggling forward back, univolved 5/8 and an incompetant backline. I think he has looked fairly good considering.

Overall i would say our halves have been pretty good. In fact Inglis alone just about won us the first game.

Lima - Solid as always. Solid metres high work rate just what you need from a prop.

Blair - good start to the season. He and Lima are our 2 stand out forwards.

Props i think is one of our strongest areas but i think we are asking to much of them in terms of metres. We need more from the 2nd row.

Koopu - looks alright certainly no metre eater.

Hoffman - Doesn't look his best. We need more from him.

Johnson - Lots of tackles not much else really.

As mentioned above we need more metres here. I think overall our forward pack is been OK but nothing special. I think we really need Sika Manu back. Not sure if Brett White will change anything will have to wait and see.

I won't worry about the bench for now. I know i have been overly harsh, but that's kinda the point of the thread to discuss what is going wrong.

I realise this is mostly doom and gloom and i don't actually expect that. I still think we are a solid chance for a top 4 spot. I just think we really need to improve if we are gonna challenge come September.

Juniors
short answer?

performing well enough - Slater, Cronk, Lima, Smith, Blair, Proctor, Johnson, Hinchcliffe, Tolman

lift your game - Chambers, Quinn, Inglis, Hoffman, Koopu, Anderson

drop him - Turner, Isa

give him a run - Tomane, Duffie, Chislom, Cross, Cahill

Billythekid

First Grade
short answer?

performing well enough - Slater, Cronk, Lima, Smith, Blair, Proctor, Johnson, Hinchcliffe, Tolman

drop him - Turner, Isa

Pretty much agree with that

Noa

First Grade
Firstly I'll disagree with your assesment of Billy, Billy.

Our structure allows Billy to shine, think of him a few years ago to show what its done for him. No player is highlighted or given more free-reign under Bellamys structur

Going to the Warriors would actually take away from his games as he wouldnt be as much of a ball-player (and some would say, as they watch his passes go sailing over the side-line, that he still isnt).

Im not as worried about Greg at 5/8 as Im am about our center defence atm, which is our biggest concern. I agree that Tomane should come into the side as it was evident in the trial game I saw that his defence is alot better then Isa'. Couple that with his extra size, and you see why he should be in the side. Not worried about Chambers at all, he was good agaisnt the Broncos and will only get better as he gets confident.

Forwards as a whole are going OK, with Blair being the stand-out and Proctor showing that he can become an impact player in the game. My major concern in the pack right now is the bench and what they provide when they come on, though in fairness I expect it get alot better once Manu and White return (I'll give White the BOTD about his toe and put last years weakness down to it).

Billythekid

First Grade
Firstly I'll disagree with your assesment of Billy, Billy.

Our structure allows Billy to shine, think of him a few years ago to show what its done for him. No player is highlighted or given more free-reign under Bellamys structur

Going to the Warriors would actually take away from his games as he wouldnt be as much of a ball-player (and some would say, as they watch his passes go sailing over the side-line, that he still isnt).

He is at his best when he isn't ball playing. Running off ofloads is probably his best skill, i don't think i've ever seen someone who can time these runs so well. Plus he always knows where to be he is a great support player.

I won't argue. He has done brilliant under Bellamy so i can see where your coming from.

Im not as worried about Greg at 5/8 as Im am about our center defence atm, which is our biggest concern. I agree that Tomane should come into the side as it was evident in the trial game I saw that his defence is alot better then Isa'. Couple that with his extra size, and you see why he should be in the side. Not worried about Chambers at all, he was good agaisnt the Broncos and will only get better as he gets confident.

Again i agree. If Bellamy wants us to continue being one of the best defensive sides this will need to change. It's only a matter of time before teams really exploit this. I actually think we have been pretty lucky this year and have had a lot of close calls with teams getting around our centres. Thankfully we have great cover defense.

I will admit i am not worried about Inglis as much as our centres but it is still a concern. He is one of the best players in the NRL and we need him to perform. He is pretty much the key to making us a premiership contending side.

Forwards as a whole are going OK, with Blair being the stand-out and Proctor showing that he can become an impact player in the game. My major concern in the pack right now is the bench and what they provide when they come on, though in fairness I expect it get alot better once Manu and White return (I'll give White the BOTD about his toe and put last years weakness down to it).

I think that's a fairly accurate assessment. Hopefully White is in for a bigger year than he has in the past. I have been very critical of him but i would love to see him have a good year.

Manu no doubt will add a ton to our forward pack.

short answer?

drop him - Turner, Isa

Agree with this assessment but actually think that Koopu is perfoming better than listed.

He did lay on the Cronk try against the Dragons and added aggression at a vital stage of that game.

If we drop Turner then the backline will be too inexperienced - Cronk, Maloney, Chambers, Inglis, Tomane, Quinn, Slater might be worth consideration ??.

Noa

First Grade
Matt Duffie is very, very good wing prospect. Has all you want in a winger. Height, pace and a very good leap.

Whoever discovered him in NZ should give emselves a pat on the back

Dan70

Juniors
Slater - Looks great as always little to be said here. Only negative i can say here is that sometimes i think our rigid structure in attack limits his ability. It would be scary to think what he could achieve playing for someone like the warriors.
Agree that he's playing well, but I think our structure suits him.

Turner - Really his mostly on the team for speed and i have seen him get outrun by players he really shouldn't be. Hes not big, hes not overly quick, doesn't have the best leap or step and sometimes get caught out in defense. Hes a liability at the worst of times and an average winger at the best. He does shut off some overlaps so i should give credit where it's due.
Average winger at the best of times?! You obviously have a short memory! He is a great defender, making great reads to shut down 2 or 3 man overlaps (and not occasionally, nearly every time), great finisher, solid in the air. Admittedly he hasn't started 09 in the best of form, but I have every confidence he will come good, and there is no way I'd be dropping him, as he is one of our most experienced outside backs.

Chambers - Looked better last week but still pretty average. He just doesn't have the try scoring ability we need at the moment. Solid if not spectacular, probably our best outside back so far this year which is saying a lot. Hey at least he doesn't keep running into touch anymore :D
Great defensive centre imo, as you said one of our best backs so far. I agree he needs to add more in attack (though I don't expect him to be one of our main strike weapons), but considering the long injury lay off, I'm happy with where he is at.

Isa - Again average. I don't see how he got in front of Tomane. He doesn't look to strong or fast and i have doubts of hes ability to catch the ball. Ineffective in defense and certainly not great at positioning himself. I wouldn't have him on the team right now.

I really expected Tomane to start this season! Pretty much agree with what you say. I'll also add that he seems to be more of a winger then a centre.

Quinn - The best thing he does is sometimes shut down overlaps by rushing in with a hit. He also makes some hard metres up the ruck. However he is slow for a winger and he is also short. Wingers are there to score tries and well quite frankly Quinn just isn't to good at that. I doubt many would argue that he has been quite sub par so far this year.
Been quite dissapointing so far, but he is another with a an injury disrupted off season who I think will come good soon. Have to say, you seem to have a short memory with Quinny too! Like Turner, he is also a handy finisher (the problem is we haven't created much for them so far), solid in the air (but overmatched against Folau :)), and adds great aggression and meters on kick returns.

Inglis - He just goes missing. Best player in the game one week, barely does anything the next. Most of the great plays he does basically involve him running out wide like a centre, perhaps there is a reason for that. He just isn't involved enough for a 5/8 and quite frankly most of the time his ball playing skills are average. He basically just shuffles the ball along. We need him back in the centres.
Great in round one, played like he was injured in round 2. Lets hope he's back to full fitness, and I don't think we'll have anymore trouble.

Cronk - Looks alright. Kicking game has been pretty good. Would like to see him take on the line more effectively. I think hes short passing game with Slater and Hoffman and co has been a little off but i expect there will be a lot more success with it soon. I think he has been under a lot of pressure because he is dealing with a strggling forward back, univolved 5/8 and an incompetant backline. I think he has looked fairly good considering.
Not at his best yet, but well on the way.

Lima - Solid as always. Solid metres high work rate just what you need from a prop.
Agree.

Blair - good start to the season. He and Lima are our 2 stand out forwards.
Again, agree.

Koopu - looks alright certainly no metre eater.
Agree, but I think he adds some cleverness and second phase play that will be usefull off the bench when Manu comes back.

Hoffman - Doesn't look his best. We need more from him.
Again an injury returnee, but he really needs to find his 07 form. Quick.

Johnson - Lots of tackles not much else really.
And I don't expect anything more from him. The rest of the forward pack need to take up the slack.

All in all, I think bringing in Tomane for Isa, along with the steady improvement in form from the rest of our backs should see us through, especially once they learn to play effectively together.

As for the forwards, pretty much the same with Manu and White coming in. However, I must say I'm less confident in the return to form of Hoffman and White then I am of Turner and Quinn.

I guess we'll see!