What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Thoughts/Reaction - Are We Alone In The Universe?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Hi Guys,
I'm just interested in getting your thoughts on something - not only if we are alone in the universe, but your reaction, generally, to hearing it.

Part 1:

On the TV, we often hear commercials and documentaries/conspiracy theories in that 'deep voice' asking whether or not we are alone in the universe. I would like to start by saying that I don't think we are alone in the universe. I mean, Earth doesn't even make up 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the total space out there - it never ends. It just keeps going on and on and on.

So, when we hear these things mentioned on TV, it kind of makes us feel more united and close and wondering together what else is really out there and it sounds like they are trying to intimidate us with these theories and the creepy music they play in the background. I for one think that having other life forms in the universe is exciting - seeing what else could be out there, what types of technology they use, how advanced are they etc...!

Part 2:

It's become evident, as part of the Global Financial Meltdown, that many companies are laying off staff by the hundreds... and in some cases thousands (Some major European companies). Many of us here on LU will be aware that there are some or many empty desks and workstations in our offices - generally making for a dull and depressing atmosphere with no morale. Our work offices that used to be buzzing with phones ringing off the handle and people talking amongst themselves quietly and loudly, often telling jokes and connecting with out colleagues like they are family, are now almost resembling a ghost town with very little of our good friends and work colleagues still there.

In relation to part 1, we get that same feeling running through us - we are not alone in the universe - we get that dull and depressing feeling that someone is out there watching us with advanced technology.

Why is this the case? Looking around our workstations and desks in our offices, seeing many empty chairs that were once filled with fun-loving and characterically funny colleagues, now completely empty... gives us that dull and depressing feeling (as we are now more or less alone in the office then what we once were) resembles the same feeling of dullness and depression when we think that we are not alone in the universe. Why is this the case? In one case we are alone, in the other case we are not alone, yet the feeling is the same. Why?

McLovin

Staff member
What a stupid thread...Haven't you ever seen Alien??

FMD...Ripley would be rolling in her grave...

chileman

Coach
Genesis Chapter 1.......we are all here for a purpose, but no preaching or bible bashing here! (if you don't have a Bible.....happy to send you one for free).

Apey

Staff member
Of course we aren't.

How the hell do you think runs The Biggest Douche in the Universe competition ?

This.

Or;

"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination."

If you like reading that is.

God-King Dean

Immortal
In the beginning God-King Dean created the internet and the earth.

And the earth was without the Firkin Fun Bar, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the Internet. And the Spirit of God-King Dean moved upon the face of the broadband

And God-King Dean said, Let there be LU: and there was LU.

And God-King Dean saw the LU, that it was good: and God-King Dean divided LU from eels_fan_01.

And God-King Dean called the post whoring section of LU the Firkin Fun Bar, and the darkness he called Charlie Murphy.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Alien movies are easily the scariest for mine. I think because I believe thre's a possiblility of them being real... as opposed to the Ghoulies. But I will always check the toilet though. Better safe than sorry I say.

Martli

Coach
The statistical probabilities suggest to me that it's likely. We obviously haven't proven it yet, but I think there must at least be some low levels of life (bacterias etc.) somewhere out there, the universe is just too big for there not to be, but again, that's just my theory.

As for part 2: I'm not sure what you mean, you mean like when we are by ourselves we feel alone, despite the possibility that there are other forms of life? I don't get what you're saying. Of course we feel alone, we need human contact, we're social animals. The thought of the presence of someone else isn't enough to ease that sort of anxiety.

Sugar

Bench
Alien movies are easily the scariest for mine. I think because I believe thre's a possiblility of them being real... as opposed to the Ghoulies. But I will always check the toilet though. Better safe than sorry I say.
ghoulies.jpg