What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your tips on players who could challenge for spots in 2006?

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
I don't rate him any higher or lower than our worst player whoever that may be, in fact to be brutally honest with you, I don't think we have a crap player at the club, thus the reason why we've lost no one and signed no one.

I think the main reason we didn't sign anyone is because we're close to the edge of the salary cap and there weren't really any gaping holes in any positions. I would still rate Wagon a better player than Robinson (I'm being serious) and if Moimoi and Vella are fit I don't really see the need for Peek apart from filling in for injuries. As to not having ANY crap players at the club I'm sure even you would agree Ashley Graham is pretty bad even if you rate Peek and Robinson (who I believe to be very ordinary).

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
I think the main reason we didn't sign anyone is because we're close to the edge of the salary cap and there weren't really any gaping holes in any positions. I would still rate Wagon a better player than Robinson (I'm being serious) and if Moimoi and Vella are fit I don't really see the need for Peek apart from filling in for injuries. As to not having ANY crap players at the club I'm sure even you would agree Ashley Graham is pretty bad even if you rate Peek and Robinson (who I believe to be very ordinary).

yes, were close to the edge of the sallery cap because we decided to retain about 98% of all the players off contract, and the fact that Premier league won the comp even with Ash in the side. So wouldn't that tell you that the coaching staff see alot of value in just about every player at the club??

Ash isn't as bad as what alot of you think, he's definetly not the flashiest footballer nor is he high in the pecking order for first grade selection but he's not a bad player.

Avenger

Immortal
I just heard that Mateo will be given first shot at lock for season 2006. Similar to how Smith got first shot at halfback during the last off season. The good thing is that Tim Smith wants Mateo in the team and approached the coaching staff about Mateo.

Now I'm officially excited.

I hope Mateo does not let us down.

PS My source is usually bang on the money.

The Colonel

Immortal
lucablight said:
I think the main reason we didn't sign anyone is because we're close to the edge of the salary cap and there weren't really any gaping holes in any positions.

As Brian Smith stated at the Presentation Night, the reasobn we didn't sign any new players for season 2006 is because they are already at the club. Any new players in the NRL side will come from our lower grades, there was no need to buy from outside the club.

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
I just heard that Mateo will be given first shot at lock for season 2006. Similar to how Smith got first shot at halfback during the last off season. The good thing is that Tim Smith wants Mateo in the team and approached the coaching staff about Mateo.

Hopefully he pulls his finger out and takes the opportunity with both hands.... good stuff if he does.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:

1st test for Feleti is going through the gruelling process of offseason training our coaching staff will get more out of those 4 months of training with the top sqaud than what they would if they watched him play, a couple of matches.

As mentioned before there's no problem with the ability, he has tones of it, it's whether he has it within, to make it.

One things for certain, he'll let himself down before he lets us down, good luck to him.

greena

Juniors
Mateo has always been given a decent go. He is the one who hasn't had a go.

I do not like the idea of any player who has shown such a lack of application being given a go ahead of other plkayers who put in every week- the sooner they get rid of him the better.

Utey

Coach
He played one round last year didnt he? Against the Storm? Then languished in Flegg. If his attitude has changed Iam all for it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
greena said:
Mateo has always been given a decent go. He is the one who hasn't had a go.

I do not like the idea of any player who has shown such a lack of application being given a go ahead of other plkayers who put in every week- the sooner they get rid of him the better.

the stint in England could well have been the catylist to re-launching his career, don't you think if his attitude hasn't changed in the off season that he will languish in the lower grades??..he's still very young, he has another year to run in his contract, he has rare natural ability, give him 4 months to work with the top sqaud before you make that call.

I think you'll be pleasently surprised with the end result.

stuke

Bench
hopefully this is the opportunity that Mateo needs.

a pretty good position for a young player to be told you will have first crack at a position for next year. hopefully its as successful as Tim Smith was.

also shows the confidence that T Smith has....approaching the staff and requesting players. i like the confidence!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Avenger said:

If this is true, it's great news!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well, I watched a few of the matches he played in England, and he seemed to have a different attitude towards footy.

Also, his selection for Tonga may have added towards his newfound attitude, too.

Latest posts