What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Top 10 for 08/09

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
All things considered, this is how i would go.

1. Man U
2. Barca
3. Liverpool
4. Chelski
5. Inter
6. Gooners
7. Real Madrid
8. Milan
9.Juve
10. Seville

ALL things considered? Alright then.

Barca - best team in the world
Spain - best national team in the world

Daylight

Man U - best English team
Wolfsburg - won the Bundesliga with a moderate squad
Liverpool - 2 losses in England and scored the most goals and beat Man U twice
Bordeaux - won Ligue 1 with a moderate team and relatively inexperienced manager
Sivasspor - playing lower league Turkish football only a few years ago and came second in Turkey
Hoffenheim - playing Öberliga 2 years ago, lead at the break
Genoa - Would have been in Serie C1 had Italian FA not extended the amount of teams in Serie B a few years ago - missed out on a CL spot by virtue of head to head with Fiorentina
AZ Alkmaar - Brett Holman being a European League Champion

All things considered then teams like Sevilla, Real Madrid, Milan, Inter, Juve, Arsenal, Chel$ki do not make the cut. Especially Sevilla, how did you come up with them?

Jason Maher

Immortal
Have to agree (shock, horror) with TT: Barca are clearly the best side. While I'm imensely proud of my boys for winning a third title on the trot for the second time in a decade, despite a very strong challenge from Liverpool, and for giving both domestic cups a shake with a team made up primarily of our young guns (and winning the lesser cup), and making consecutive European titles for the first time ever, while somehow finding time to compete in and win a largely meaningless club world cup tournament, reality is that Barca won a treble and made us look second-rate while completing it.

Next year is a new year, however, and you can never assume what will happen in a new season based on what happened in the previous one (observe this year's NRL).

WireMan

Bench
Have to agree (shock, horror) with TT: Barca are clearly the best side. While I'm imensely proud of my boys for winning a third title on the trot for the second time in a decade, despite a very strong challenge from Liverpool, and for giving both domestic cups a shake with a team made up primarily of our young guns (and winning the lesser cup), and making consecutive European titles for the first time ever, while somehow finding time to compete in and win a largely meaningless club world cup tournament, reality is that Barca won a treble and made us look second-rate while completing it.

Next year is a new year, however, and you can never assume what will happen in a new season based on what happened in the previous one (observe this year's NRL).

A good season review.

Number 19 next year. The perch is ours!! :cool:

Lose the daylight and i think your close.

Barca should not of been in that final.

Barca deserved to win more than anyone. Chel$ki didn't even try and play football in the first leg and Barca should have had a penalty of their own in that game. Only one of the penalty shouts for Chel$ki in leg 2 were actually legitimate and the real blame has to be at Essien for passing the ball straight to Messi who passed to Iniesta and for Drogba missing a sitter at 1-0.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
ALL things considered? Alright then.

Barca - best team in the world
Spain - best national team in the world

Daylight

Man U - best English team
Wolfsburg - won the Bundesliga with a moderate squad
Liverpool - 2 losses in England and scored the most goals and beat Man U twice
Bordeaux - won Ligue 1 with a moderate team and relatively inexperienced manager
Sivasspor - playing lower league Turkish football only a few years ago and came second in Turkey
Hoffenheim - playing Öberliga 2 years ago, lead at the break
Genoa - Would have been in Serie C1 had Italian FA not extended the amount of teams in Serie B a few years ago - missed out on a CL spot by virtue of head to head with Fiorentina
AZ Alkmaar - Brett Holman being a European League Champion

All things considered then teams like Sevilla, Real Madrid, Milan, Inter, Juve, Arsenal, Chel$ki do not make the cut. Especially Sevilla, how did you come up with them?

how did I come up with them ?

quite easily, I watch them play

how did you come up with Genoa at 7 above all other Serie A teams who clearly finished above them ?

Bordeaux ? a one man team above Real, Milan and Inter.................well I guess you are entitled to your opinion but I dont agree with it, then again, I dont have to.

Seville finished 3rd in La Liga, I consider that more of an achievement than finishing 2nd in the Turkish league.

All things considered.

Ridders

Coach
Imo Barca are bounds ahead of clubs like United and Madrid, and not just for footballing reasons. In the times when Chelsea, United and Madrid amass records amounts of debt, both external and internal, to see a club of the magnitude of Barcelona to have relatively little debt truly impresses me.

Another thing is their reputation for producing world class players. I dare you to pick another major team in the world that has as good a youth academy as Barca's (maybe United in the 90s but they're academy has produced f**k all this decade). So much of Barca's current team went through their academy i.e. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol, Valdes and young guns such as Bojan, Busquets, Pique.

how did I come up with them ?

quite easily, I watch them play

how did you come up with Genoa at 7 above all other Serie A teams who clearly finished above them ?

Bordeaux ? a one man team above Real, Milan and Inter.................well I guess you are entitled to your opinion but I dont agree with it, then again, I dont have to.

Seville finished 3rd in La Liga, I consider that more of an achievement than finishing 2nd in the Turkish league.

All things considered.

All things considered. Did you do any consideration at all or did you just name teams coming top 3 in major leagues?

Explain how Bordeax are a one man team? Oh, that's right, "Milan fan" believes the only decent player at the club is from Milan. Ofcourse a one man team lead Bordeaux to be the first champions of France in about 8 season.

I explained why Genoa made it. All things considered, which it seems to me like you didn't do. All things considered, Genoa missing out on a CL spot due to head to head with Fiorentina is more of an achievement than Milan coming second. All things considered, Milan couldn't beat Genoa in either league meeting.

Sivasspor coming second is one of the biggest achievement's to have happened this season. They were playing out of the equivalent of Turkish third division not long ago and almost won the league, leading for the majority of it.

Real Lost their last 5 matches, got destroyed against any decent opposition they came against and Sevilla were never in the running for a league spot.

Sorry, but all things considered, small teams like Hoffenheim (even if they did have to buy a lot of players) and Sivasspor making a big fist of it in their league is more of an achievement than Milan spending 3/4 of the Serie A season more than 10 points behind and not in any form of consideration for a title.

All things considered.

WireMan

Bench
Seriously now, Barca won the champs league, fair enough, they out played united.

However they are sooooo far ahead of everybody that they couldn't beat Chelsea the THIRD best team in England.

As for the rest.

Genoa, i mean come on, one of the best this year. The 5th best team in the whole of Italy are one of the best in Europe?

Bordeax are a good team, i would put them in the top 10 this year purely because they won the league and it was good that someone other than Lyon won. However all things considered, Lyon were a bit rubbish this year, and of all the teams in Ligue 1 PSG did alright.

Hoffenheim are bank rolled by mr SAP and spent the second most money in Bundesliga last year, so its not exactly a fairy tale. Berlin did better, and if it wasn't for the last day god-knows-what against the bottom club they would of made the champs league. All this with no money so all things considered i reckon they did alright.

Other teams which i wouldn't put in the top 10 of best teams but did well this year.

Fulham - Nearly relegated last year. Made Europe this.
Leixos - made the top three sweat in Portugal for a change.
FC Cluj - Played some good matches in the early champs league.
AZ - Dutch champions, looked good.
FC Twente - Second in holland. Anytime the top two isn't ajax, Feyenoord or PSV then its an achievment.
Standard Liege - Looked good the two times i saw them (shame they couldn't beat liverpool).

Tommy Smith

Referee
The idea of this post was to name your Top Ten best teams in 08/09, not your Top 10 "Fairytale Stories".

Twiz and TT are clearly operating on different criteria. But since the purpose of the thread was to name the Top 10 teams this seaosn i'll go with:

1. Barca - treble and dominated Utd in the Champs League final
2. Man Utd - To win the EPL for 3 straight seasons is an absolutely immense achievement given how tough the league is.
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea
5. Inter
6. Porto
7. Arsenal
8. Seville
9. Wolfsburg
10. Juve

WireMan

Bench
Top ten:

United - (biased :sarcasm: and the final was one game) Won the hardest league.
Liverpool - Second in hardest league.
Chelsea - Drew twice with Barca ;-) Third in hardest league.
Barca - Dead easy league, played well in one match.
Inter - Won Italian league.
Real Madrid - Second by a long way in spain.
Milan - second in Italy.
Wolfsberg - Won a pretty poor German league.
Bordeax - Won French.
Marseille - Took them close.

All things considered... :lol:

OVP

Coach
I'd have to say FC Shakhtar Donetsk from Ukraine winning the UEFA Cup was a pretty impressive achievement. They'd make my top 10 easily.

Where does it say top 10 best teams of the year?

The top 10 of the year, all things considered, doesn't include million dollar bank rolls of Milan spending all year out of the Serie A race or Chel$ki struggling through over half of the season with Scolari.

Why name it top 10 of this season if you're just going to name the English big 4 and the Spanis and Italian big 3?

LOL @ naming the Bundesliga poor. You lost any credibility on speaking about the Bundesliga when you named Frings the best player.

WireMan

Bench
Berlin 4th despite being rubbish,
Wolfsberg top despite having three alright players.
Bremen nowhere.
Leverkusen nowhere.
Shalke nowhere.

This was Wolfsbergs one opp to win the league, next year they won't finish in the top 3.

I know it, you know it. It was a poor league this year.

Entertaining, but poor.

You lost all creditbility when you said Sivasspor as a top team in Europe so don't be chucking stones around.

Oh and yes, the top 10 teams in Europe are the team at the top of the hardest leagues. This is cause they played more hard matches and won most of them, in the year. Hence the top of the league. Its what leagues are good for, seeing who the best teams are.

I didn't say Sivasspor were a top 10 team I said their achievement of coming second deserved recognition beyond the likes of Chel$ki or Milan who have endless amount of funds are were never in the race for their domestic league titles at all.

Ofcourse Wolfsburg won't make top 3, they lost their coach and will have the majority of their team picked up and bought.

Why mention Leverkusen or Schalke? Been poor for some time.

Funny how when teams like Hull can do well in England it is a case of "anybody can beat anybody" but when this actually applies to a league like the Bundesliga it is a case of them being poor.

DB

First Grade
Berlin 4th despite being rubbish,
Wolfsberg top despite having three alright players.
Bremen nowhere.
Leverkusen nowhere.
Shalke nowhere.

This was Wolfsbergs one opp to win the league, next year they won't finish in the top 3.

I know it, you know it. It was a poor league this year.

Entertaining, but poor.

You lost all creditbility when you said Sivasspor as a top team in Europe so don't be chucking stones around.

Oh and yes, the top 10 teams in Europe are the team at the top of the hardest leagues. This is cause they played more hard matches and won most of them, in the year. Hence the top of the league. Its what leagues are good for, seeing who the best teams are.

Dude its TT's top ten, not yours so let it go.

WireMan

Bench
I didn't say Sivasspor were a top 10 team I said their achievement of coming second deserved recognition beyond the likes of Chel$ki or Milan who have endless amount of funds are were never in the race for their domestic league titles at all.

Ofcourse Wolfsburg won't make top 3, they lost their coach and will have the majority of their team picked up and bought.

Why mention Leverkusen or Schalke? Been poor for some time.

Funny how when teams like Hull can do well in England it is a case of "anybody can beat anybody" but when this actually applies to a league like the Bundesliga it is a case of them being poor.

You did say they were a top 10 team, in your list of top ten teams for 08/09...

I mentioned Shalke etc. because they are traditionally some of the bigger teams in Germany and didn't do well.

I don't know anyone who says anyone can beat anyone in the premiership, and if you know someone, they are clearly wrong, hence a top 4 in England.

Anyway though, as DB said though, its your top 10, i was just trying your reasoning for it.

We'll discuss next years bundesliga in the "bundesliga 2009-2010" thread which i'm sure will start in a few months. :D

Will be interesting next season. A few teams have something to prove, and some will have a lot of money to spend to help them do it. Their has been, and will be some big signings and sellings there. :cool:

Latest posts