What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 favorite gigs

LESStar58

Referee
Sort of following on from the "make your own festival" thread. Kinda pinched this off another forum I sometimes frequent. Please share. Mine are as follows.

1. Jim White and John Doe @ The Corner Hotel 2009- Quite possibly the emptiest the Corner band room has been while I was in it. I'm a massive X fan so seeing Doe by himself was pretty amazing and also likely the closest I'll get to seeing X! John did "Poor Girl" which is one of my favorite X songs and "Rank Stranger" (the latter cos I requested it!) and Jim was one of the most interesting musicians I have ever seen. He came out on stage and promptly dedicated the show to his very sick mother in law and went on to say that while he was sad to be away from his wife while she cared for her mum, she realised that touring and performing is so important to Jim and while he wanted to be with her, he knew he had to keep on performing. You could have heard a pin drop in the joint. He talked a lot in between songs but he was so fantastic for just one guy. I sat cross legged on the floor of the Corner looking up at him like a kid watching show and tell.

2. Social Distortion @ Soundwave 2011, Melbourne (they opened with "The Creeps". That alone constitutes that set being more awesome than both sideshows combined).

3. The Suicide Machines @ NEXT, Melbourne 2005 (singing along with Jay Navarro to "Islands" and "Your Silence" after he shoved the mic in my face).

4. Stray Cats, 2nd show, The Forum 2009- it was my 29th birthday. 'nuff said.

5. Flogging Molly and The Currency, 2nd show @ The Corner Hotel 2008- Bob Schmidt signed my banjo. Nicest man in rock & roll.

bileduct

Coach
1. The Tea Party @ University of Canberra, 1996
2. Faith No More @ ANU Refectory, 1993
3. Jane's Addiction @ Palace Theatre, 2010
4. Nine Inch Nails @ Alternative Nation/Eastern Creek, 1995
5. Grant Lee Buffalo @ Sydney Entertainment Centre, 1995

1. Slipknot, Adelaide ? 2008
2. Parkway Drive, river stage Brisbane 2012
3. Korn, Adelaide ?2007
4. Linkin Park,Adelaide 2006
5. Stone sour Brisbane Soundwave 2011

gUt

Coach
All dates are approximate

1. Faith No More - Festival Hall 1993
2. Ween - The Tivoli 2008
3. System of a Down - The Roxy 2001
4. Deftones - The Roxy 1999
5. Primus - The Roxy 2000

Red Bear

Referee
I cant really order them but the best five have probably been
- Descendents last night
- Frenzal Rhomb in January 07 @ the factory theatre
- Bad Religion in 07
- NOFX at No Sleep Til
- You Am I at Homebake 2008

Honourable mentions to ATDI @ Splendour, King Cannons at BDO 12, Grinderman BDO 11, The Living End basically every time I've seen them, Dropkick Murphys Enmore 08, The Pogues, Crowded House.

Shit most bands i've seen live have been good.

RedVDave

First Grade
Almost impossible to narrow it down to just 5:

-Refused (2012)

-Soundgarden (2012)

-KISS (2008)

-Chris Cornell (2011)

-System Of A Down (2012)

Nuke

Staff member
Here's mine:

= 1st: Queen + Adam Lambert, Hammersmith Apollo (London), 11th July 2012
= 1st: Queen + Adam Lambert, Hammersmith Apollo (London), 12th July 2012
2nd: AC/DC, Subiaco Oval (Perth), 2010
3rd: Slash, Metro City (Perth), August 2012
4th: Alice Cooper, Burswood Theatre (Perth), July/August mid-2000's (2003 maybe?)
5th: The Screaming Jets, Raffles Hotel (Perth), 3rd March 2000 (my first ever proper gig).

DB

First Grade
5. Slash at Entertainment Centre.
4. The Hives at Falls/ Enmore Theatre.
3. Sound Relief at the MCG (Split Enz, Hunters and Collectors and Midnight Oil headlining.)
2. Foo Fighters at the SFS
1. Foo Fighters at the Manning Bar

Zoidberg

First Grade
Coldplay - Suncorp Stadium '12
Butterfly Effect - Tivoli '12
Karnivool - Tivoli '11
Matchbox 20 (with Evermore and INXS) - Bris Ent '12
COG - Tivoli '08

snoozer

Bench
1 Queen ent cent 85
2 Page and Plant ent cent 96(?)
3 Muse acer arena 2010
4 ACDC ent cent early 90's
5 Aerosmith ent cent early 90's

1. Pennywise/Millencolin roundhouse 2011
2. ACDC Sydney 2010
3. Bad Religion/ NOFX Sydney 2009
4. Frenzal Rhomb canberra 2012
5. Metallica Sydney 2010

Silent Knight

First Grade
1. Foo Fighters at Metricon Stadium Gold Coast 2011.
2. Metallica at Big Day Out Sydney 2004
3. Pearl Jam at Newcastle Entertainment Centre 2006
4. Pennywise at the Trocaderro Gold Coast 2003
5. All Shihad gigs at the Bar on the Hill Newcastle uni between 2001 and 2003.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Man just picking 5 hey. Tough question to answer. Seen so many good gigs. Annandale hotel will feature in my top 5.

1- Rise Against, Taking Sides And Away From Now @ Annandale Hotel. Around 2003-04. Stunning gig. RA before they hit the big time. Siren song had just dropped and they were absolutely on fire at the gig. Taking Sides and AFN both also f**king owned that night as well.

2 - Death By Stereo @ Annandale Hotel 2004. Could easily be my #1. Efrem tore the place apart and it's still the most intense front man performance I've seen. Must've been under 100 people at the gig as well.

3 - Good Riddance and Last Nerve @ Gaelic Club 2004. Lave Last Nerve and Good Riddance are amazing. Gaelic before the new reconfigured layout and te place went off. So glad I saw this as GR never toured again and called it quits. Thankfully they'll be back out here this year.

4- Gorrila Biscuits, ILL Brigade and Bad Blood 2008 @ Annandale. To be fair Bad blood suck massive ass. How a band who can't play in time together scored the support slot for the GB has got me stuffed. Thankfully the other 2 were great. GB were so good. So many amazing sing along moments.

5 - Descendents 2013 @ Luna Park. Amazing, such pace and intensity to a gig. Played everything as well. So glad I got to finally see them

Honorable mentions to Jungle Fever and Bear Trap @ Sandringham Hotel 03/04.
Her Nightmare, 50 Lions and Extortion @ Hardcore 2008
Mindsnare, Internal Affairs, Miles Away and Dropsaw @ Hardcore 2007

Tweek

Juniors
In no order

Vans warped tour 98
Blink 182, pennywise, living end, frenzal, the porkers!!!! Bodyjar, vandals.

Offshore 1999
Blink 182, reel big fish. Don't rember too much music. Think this one stats with me for the drinking.

Offshore 2000
Pennywise, primus, Rollins band, nofx, grinspoon, living end

Metallica 2004?
My first Metallica concert at ent cent. From memory they played for like 3.5 hours. Was amazing

Superheist at castle hill tavern 1999ish?
Superheist were absolute shit but I discovered the support band sick puppies who are pretty much one of my favourite bands now

Im just gonna do sets. Shows with more bands and festivals would obviously be higher than just one off shows:

1. Anberlin- HiFi Bar, Sep 2011 (Was awesome, they played so many songs and they are awesome live, they played for about 2 hours and being a punk fan, I'm not used to that.)

2. Pennywise- Trocadero, Jan 2004 (Pennywise are my favourite band, the night before, I met the guys at the Arena show in Brisbane and they invited us to come hang with them the next night at troccadero, it was pretty cool. Got to sing one of my fave Pennywise songs (Try to Conform) while Fletcher played it on guitar and Got to sing Bro Hymn on stage with them and everything.)

3. H2O- Somewhere in Sydney, March 2011 (I had been a fan of then since i was 15, FTTW was my favourite album as a teenager. Fast forward to when I'm 28 and I still listen to FFTW all the time, as well as their latest album Nothing To Prove. I finally get to see them for the first time when they came out. Now I saw them at Brissy SW as well as the night before at some Brisbane sidewave, but the one on Sydney was my fave. They lived up to expectations.)

4. Millencolin- Somewhere in Sydney, March 2011 (I'm not a massive Millencolin fan, I barely listen to them anymore, however when I was 18, just like every other punk fan of that era, I listened to Pennybridge Pioneers a whole lot and it was a great album and one of the true albums of that era. So i was pretty pumped to see them play Pennybridge in full. Now I don't know if it was just because where I was standing but the crowd was so loud that they were louder than the band. it was a bunch of people that had grown up listening to Pennybridge and everyone knew every word to every song. It was like a European Football stadium, the atmosphere was amazing.)

5. Alexisonfire- Tivoli, Oct 2010 (Awesome night, they played a great setlist, I'm all written out :p)

Mong

Post Whore
1-5 Metallica

Easy

The next 5 would be very similar to that 5 as well :)

LESStar58

Referee
In no order

Vans warped tour 98
Blink 182, pennywise, living end, frenzal, the porkers!!!! Bodyjar, vandals.

Offshore 1999
Blink 182, reel big fish. Don't rember too much music. Think this one stats with me for the drinking.

Offshore 2000
Pennywise, primus, Rollins band, nofx, grinspoon, living end

Metallica 2004?
My first Metallica concert at ent cent. From memory they played for like 3.5 hours. Was amazing

Superheist at castle hill tavern 1999ish?
Superheist were absolute shit but I discovered the support band sick puppies who are pretty much one of my favourite bands now

Dude I loved Warped 98. Had ticket for Offshore 2000 that year as well but didn't go CIS couldn't find anyone to go with me. Kicking myself I didn't go. If I had been older back then I wouldn't have cared if I had to go by myself.

Dogs Of War

Coach
1. Ministry 1995 selinas
2. Dead kennedys 2012 manning bar
3. Offspring 1995 big day out
4. Guns and roses 1990(i think) eastern creek
5. Faith no more 1991/2 at some shitty pub in parramatta