What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 favorite gigs

natheel

Coach
1. Metallica - Adelaide 2011
2. Foo fighters - Sydney 2005
3. Slipknot - BDO 2005
4. Rise Against - BDO 2005
5. Greenday/jimmy eat world - 2005

So many to choose from

Tweek

Juniors
Dude I loved Warped 98. Had ticket for Offshore 2000 that year as well but didn't go CIS couldn't find anyone to go with me. Kicking myself I didn't go. If I had been older back then I wouldn't have cared if I had to go by myself.

You missed out! Offshore were crazy and so bummed they stopped doing them

gUt

Coach
1. Ministry 1995 selinas
2. Dead kennedys 2012 manning bar
3. Offspring 1995 big day out
4. Guns and roses 1990(i think) eastern creek
5. Faith no more 1991/2 at some shitty pub in parramatta

Really? They were pretty huge by then, lucky if you got to see them in a small venue.

beave

Coach
1. Ministry 1995 selinas
2. Dead kennedys 2012 manning bar
3. Offspring 1995 big day out
4. Guns and roses 1990(i think) eastern creek
5. Faith no more 1991/2 at some shitty pub in parramatta

You sure that wasn't 1992 mate?

aphelion

Juniors
Hard to narrow it down to just 5. My top 3 is set in stone but 4 and 5 could go any way.

1. Immortal 2008 The Metro
2. Cradle Of Filth 1997 Selina's
3. Impaled Nazarene 1999 The Globe Newtown
4. Rammstein 2001 The Enmore
5. Kataklysm 2008 Manning Bar

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
In chronological order, not order of preference.

1978 - David Bowie - Sydney Showground. Great performance from the Thin White Duke with the hugest stacks I've ever seen on both sides of the stage.

1979-80 - Flowers - various venues - greatest cover band ever before going commercial. Songs from Ultravox, T Rex, Bowie and other new wave/glam bands.

1980 - Iggy Pop - Sylvania Hotel - by far the best of the four times I've seen Iggy. Finished the set with a blazing rendition of "Search and Destroy"

1999 - Soulfly/Korn/Marilyn Manson - Sydney BDO - Almost three hours of the most amazing music shit ever. The headliner, Hole, f**ked up majorly to ruin one of the best days of music in Australia.

2005 - Nine Inch Nails - Hordern Pavilion, Sydney - Mixture of old and new material with some great changes and the best lightshow ever known to man.

Honourable mention - About 1981 - Aussie band Sidewinder - Riverwood Hotel, Sydney - Not to be confused with the band who supported U2 in 1991. A hard/heavy rock band with a lead violinist called Richard Lee who just carved it as a second lead guitar. Never heard of them before, never heard of them again.

Last edited:

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Damn, this is hard to answer. Prior to going to Uni in 2000, I had never been to any gigs, so jealous of you peeps that got to see some of these bands in the 90s and prior!

Note, this list will change every time you ask me :

- Rammstein (BDO Auckland January 2001) :
This BDO was my first major gig with international artists, so was a particularly nostalgiac event looking back. While at the time I think I enjoyed Limp Bizkit the most (what can I say, was 19 years old at the time, they are still somewhat of a guilty pleasure!), the crazy theatrics of Rammstein's set (every band member being on fire at some point, firework arrows being shot over the crowd, simulated rape of the creepy keyboardist, and all the other bells & whistles) plus the intensity of lead singer Till's bassy growls and the in-your-face riffs left a lasting impression!

- Tool & The Melvins (Queens Wharf Events Centre aka TSB Arena Wellington, April 2002) :
This was my first major non-BDO gig with international artists, so once again leaves a lasting impression. With all the crazy video nasties going on in the background (and the creepy dangling contortionists during one of the songs which I cannot remember), this had a much different, yet still theatrical, feel to the Rammstein set, but still awesomely memorable.
Also happened to be the same weekend that I saw my first live NRL game (Warriors vs Bulldogs) with the same people I was at the concert with, which ultimately cemented my league fandom, so kinda adds to the nostalgia as well!

- Muse (St James Auckland September 2004) :
While I first saw them live at BDO that year, this was their first non-festival show in NZ, and they didn't disappoint! Unfortunately I was in the top tier of the now-closed down St James Theatre, rather than amongst the throngs of the moshpit, but everyone was going crazy for them! Seen them at all the BDO's they've been at plus in CHCH when they toured Black Holes & Revelations, and while the stage show got more epic, this relatively raw set is still my favourite of theirs.
Especially now that they've gone all weird and electronica-y on me!

- Them Crooked Vultures (TSB Arena Wellington Jan 2010) :
This was two days before the AC/DC gig at Westpac Stadium, which in itself was a truly epic show, but I actually found myself having a much more fun time at TCV, even at the notoriously bad-acoustic TSB Arena. The company I was with certainly helped, but every song they played was just so fun to jump & dance around to or sing along with. Good times.

- G3 w/ Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve Lukather (Michael Fowler Centre Wellington, March 2012) :
I waited last minute to get tickets to this show (waiting on mates who eventually opted out), but so glad I did. My seat was supposed to be "restricted view" (side of stage) but ended up being really great view looking over the entire band right in line with the guys playing guitar (probably had better view of the band right up close than the people in front of stage).
Steve Vai was the absolute highlight (Satriani the machine being a close second), as well as being a guitar virtuoso, he's got so much emotion in the way he plays, and some hilarious stage antics. Plus he's so much taller than I realised!
Plus the 50-something Dad who managed to get away from the family for a night sitting next to me fist-pumping like a boss in delight added something to the occasion!

gronkathon

First Grade
5. Grant Lee Buffalo @ Sydney Entertainment Centre, 1995

Oh hell yes. Great gig supporting REM with Died Pretty on the Bill as well. I think their Metro show a few days later was a better performance but the entire line up that night were awesome

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
5. The Necks (The Basement, 1998)
4. RATM (The Horden, 1996)
3. Radiohead (Ent Cent 1998)
2. Bruce Springsteen ( 2007 Philly)
1. The Cure (Opera House 2011)

Firey_Dragon

Coach
1. FNM - Soundwave Sydney 2010
2. Ben Harper - Opera House 2012
3. Steel Panther - House of Blues, Los Angeles 2009
4. Metallica - Sydney Entertainment Center 2004
5. City and Colour - Edmonton, Canada 2009

Off the top of my head now, it'd change every time you ask me. Too many gigs over the years.

1. RA the Rugged Man - Auckland 2011
2. DJ Premier, Method Man, Redman, Naughty By Nature - Auckland 2005
3. Immortal Technique - Auckland 2012
4. Brother Ali, POS, Atmosphere - Auckland 2012
5. Snoop Dogg, Cypress Hill, Bone Thugs N Harmony - Auckland 1998

gronkathon

First Grade
Side note is that the best I have ever felt after leaving a gig has been after Michael Frant & Spearhead shows.

Always positive and renewing

carcharias

Immortal
1: Nirvana - Selina's 92 - what can I say? My lifes rock n roll highlight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZibhEJjrG2w

2: Oils - Hordern 84 - At their ferocious peak - frightened the shit out of me- I probably didn't even have pubes yet.

3: Adam and the ants - 81 - State theatre - Mum and dad took me- definitely no pubes yet.

4: You Am I - Hi Fi Bar ( vic ) 2003 included dinner with band before gig and after party . Most beer I have drunk in one session.

5: You Am I - Peakhurst inn - 93 - The night my life changed forever.

Generalzod

Immortal
Love come to Town U2 1989
Iron maiden Hordern Pavilion 1985
Metallica Entertainment Cent 2004
ZOOTV Sydney Football Stadium
ACDC Entertainment Centre 1988

carcharias

Immortal
I saw Metallica in 92? At the ent cent.
That enter sandman era.

I went by myself.

It was great ... But I was kinda glad to get the hell outta there.

DB

First Grade
So saw Bruce Springsteen last night..... HOLY f**k!!!! Best concert I have ever been to.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Really? They were pretty huge by then, lucky if you got to see them in a small venue.

It was at a pub underneath where Hungry Jacks is across from the train station.

EDIT: Found it.

July 31, 1990 Parramatta, Australia, The Asylum / Cobra Club.
http://www.xtrememusic.org/pattontrader/faithnomore/tourdates.html

I would like to add an honourable mention to Roger Waters the Wall in 2012. Best visual show I have ever seen. They constructed a wall while playing and then dismantled it.

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
Went to Springsteen last night.

He is a force of nature

I think he and Tom Morello doing Ghost of Tom Joad may be one of the greatest things I have witnessed

Latest posts