What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your WC predictions

Jason Maher

Immortal
We'll finish 4th in our group. England and Spain will again find ways not to win. Brazil will win again. The Italian team will be wiped out by a freak meteorite (well, one can hope).

weasel

First Grade
I don't think we'll be rock bottom of our group. With Essien out now I think we should be expecting to beat Ghana. And we might be able to snatch a draw against one of the other two, 4 points is about the highest total I can see us finishing on, but even if we get four points I don't think it'll be enough for us, because whoever's second between Germany and Serbia will have about the same, and it'll come down to goal difference. We don't score goals.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Ghana is the key game.

Beating ze Germans is a possibility, but realistically Pim should be aiming for a draw (which he should be used to).

Serbia are in a similar position, however the mere height of their side will be a test.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Only European or South American teams will make the final.

Despite being called "The World Game" by soccer fans, only European or South American teams have EVER made the final. This trend will continue.

Germany to beat Spain.

weasel

First Grade
Football is the most popular sport in Asia.

It's the most popular sport in a great part of Africa.

It's the most popular sport in Central America, representing about 30% of North America's total population.

If people want to ignore those countries just because they've never had any success at the world cup then so be it. It makes about as much sense as saying Rubgy League is not Papua New Guinea's favourite sport, because PNG has never achieved anything relevant in the history of Rugby League.

Football:
#1 in Asia
#1 in Europe
#1 in Africa
#1 in South America
#1 in a significant portion of North America

Seems like a sport worthy of the title 'World Game' if ever I've seen one.

Red Bear

Referee

It's the most popular sport in Central America, representing about 30% of North America's total population.

If people want to ignore those countries just because they've never had any success at the world cup then so be it. It makes about as much sense as saying Rubgy League is not Papua New Guinea's favourite sport, because PNG has never achieved anything relevant in the history of Rugby League.

Football:
#1 in Asia
#1 in Europe
#1 in Africa
#1 in South America
#1 in a significant portion of North America

Seems like a sport worthy of the title 'World Game' if ever I've seen one.
You'd also say countries in asia/africa are a bit behind in development when compared with the older guard of South America/Europe, partly from a cash sense, and Africa in particular has potential to get better and better

Ridders

Coach
spain to dominate every match early and look unbeatable but then have an off day and lose on penalties in quarters/semis...

I could very well see this happening.

I think we finish third in the group. Germany and Serbia to finish 1-2.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
Spain to win. As has already been mentioned they have an amazing team. Just look at that midfield - Xavi, Busquets, Alsono, Fabregas, Iniesta, Silva, Navas...

Utterly ridiculous in its awesomeness. They also have form on the board having romped to victory at Euro 2008 so look for them to complete the double as France did 10 years ago.

langpark

First Grade

doesn't mean they're good at it.

Mr Angry is spot on, every WC is just a Euro/South America show. Every other nation is only there to make up the numbers. If you think otherwise, you're kidding yourself.

and he wasn't questioning football's tag as the world game (who would?), he was just putting the other confederations in their place.

Moffo

Referee
hard to disregard italy....have a great record in WC's

i'm going to jump on the spain bandwagon though. no one is going as well as them at the moment

BWNB

First Grade
Winner: Spain
Runner up: England
Top four: Spain, England, Holland, Brazil
Golden boot: RVP
Portugal wont make it out of their group.
Australia will finish 4th in front of Ghana

they'll run out of legs towards the end of the tournament imo

they always are slow starters and have a group that favours that, the Italians build as they go along.

They pushed Spain in the euro only going out on penaltys and the Spaniards are yet to prove themselves at a world cup. They have always had the talent but in world cups they just cant get there.

If they both meet somewhere in the finals
Italia to win :)

langpark

First Grade
Winner: Spain
Runner up: England
Top four: Spain, England, Holland, Brazil
Golden boot: RVP
Portugal wont make it out of their group.
Australia will finish 4th in front of Ghana

:?
4th, behind ghana? or 3rd in front of ghana?

weasel

First Grade
What's up with that populate button? It comes up with Australia winning our group and then getting knocked out in the second round by Algeria. Switzerland finishing first in Spain's group. Nigeria and Greece finishing top two in Argentina's group. WTF?

BWNB

First Grade
So according to the SIM I have
1. Holland
2. Ivory Coast
3. England
4. Argentina

Some interesting facts from the sim, Brazil, italy and France will be knocked out in the round of 16/

Argentina to beat Portugal in the final...I assume they will not meet in the semi's etc.

England to choke in the quarters again...