What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're joking Willie!

Dogs Of War

Coach
You're joking Willie
By Dean Ritchie
September 23, 2003

PENRITH's Scott Sattler last night echoed the sentiments of Panthers supporters everywhere when he described as "comical" claims from Willie Mason that the premiership winner would come from Saturday night's Bulldogs-Roosters blockbuster.

fter the Bulldogs had crushed Melbourne 30-0 on Sunday, Mason said: "I think whoever wins [the Bulldogs-Roosters match] will go on to win the competition."

The comment caused a stir among Penrith and New Zealand Warriors players - who meet in the second preliminary final at Telstra Stadium on Sunday.

And it has fired up supporters from both clubs who have watched the Panthers and Warriors power into the finals.

"It's more comical [than anything else]. If he says these things to motivate himself then so be it," Sattler said.

"We'll sit back and let him believe what he wants to believe."

Panthers coach John Lang remains unconcerned that many people, like Mason, believe the premiership could be decided on Saturday night. "I used to worry about comments like this but not any more," Lang said. The Bulldogs-Roosters match has all the ingredients for a highly charged final.

But Bulldogs players Steve Price, Mark O'Meley and Travis Norton last night told of the instructions from coach Steve Folkes to keep their emotions in check.

Last season's salary cap scandal, which led to the Bulldogs being rubbed out of the competition, has only added to the Bulldogs' passion for a premiership, won last season by the Roosters.

Price admitted his side became "too excited" in their first finals match against the Warriors and they cannot allow a repeat against the Roosters, fresh from a week off.

"This has been the basis of our conversations since the Warriors game," Price said. "This game will be for a grand final spot but we can't get too excited.

"We can't be worrying about the players that won't be here next year or what happened last year," Price said. "We just have to get out there and enjoy playing the footy we do together. I think we learned a lesson from the Warriors game. We got too excited and we can't do that against the Roosters.

"Against the Warriors we wanted to win but forgot about what we had to do to win.

"I thought we had composure and patience against the Storm [last Sunday] and we'll need our heads on against the Roosters."

The Bulldogs captain said the long-term rivalry between the Bulldogs and Roosters would only add to the game's appeal.

"They are the 2002 premiers and there is a lot of history between the two clubs," Price said. "The Bulldogs and the Roosters always produce big games and there is always rivalry."

O'Meley said his side must remain composed in what will be a frenetic atmosphere.

"We can't worry about last year, just this week," he said.

Norton said he was convinced the Bulldogs players were over last year's disappointments.

---------------------------------------

I really hope he is joking. We don't need our team going into the grand final (presuming we beat the roosters) thinking that they have already won. Their'll be 17 blokes on the other team who want to win just as much.

RifRaf

Juniors
He is a liability that bloke.... Glad he plays for you blokes... It's always one good game one bad... For all his size and hype.......

ngunity

Juniors
Warriors and Panthers aside I reckon Willie's is saying what MOST people are thinking... maybe someone should put up a poll......

Anyway I DO believe that the winner of the Dogs vs Roosters will take it all, unless perhaps it's such a physical war of attrition the victors are too battered to face the attacking flair of the Panthers vs Warriors....

Actually it occurs to me that maybe these two semis are Defence vs Defence, and Attack vs Attack. Both the Rooters and Dogs being the #1 and #2 attacking and defensive teams in the regular season, but more specifically are known for their defense, whereas Penrith all season, and Warriors in the last 5-6 weeks have been the team to cast defense aside in the interest of scoring as many tries as possible in the assumption they'll outscore you.

Then Again I guess Villa the Gorilla would argue the Warriors can defend too, and rightly so!

woodgers

Bench
Ahh Willie Mason. He thinks it's not enough to go around looking like an idiot, then he opens his mouth and confirms it. He is the Jason Akermanis of Rugby League with his stupid comments.

I could understand if he was a really good player, but he has proven time and time again that he is a choker of the highest order. It's time to back yourself up Willie, don't go dropping any more than 5 balls this week.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He's got a pretty short memory... one of the sides he's writing off thrashed the dogs less than a fortnight ago and beat the Roosters three weeks below that. On those two results alon the Warriors have to be rated at least as likely as the dogs to win it all. I once saw Mason out on the town at 9am on a sunday morning, it looks like the late nights have gone to his brain.

RifRaf

Juniors
YEp he's a fool if the Dogs do make it, whichever side out of the Pennys and the Warriors make it through as well will have that article posted on the changeroom wall.. Way to motivate your opposition...

CrankYanker

Juniors
funny how you jealous doggie style supporters have a go at our shampoo ads when wilma mason has a hairdo akin to marcia hines circa 1974.

either that or you fail to use hair care products for fear of being labelled effiminate.

mj5150

Juniors
CrankYanker said:
funny how you jealous doggie style supporters have a go at our shampoo ads when wilma mason has a hairdo akin to marcia hines circa 1974.

either that or you fail to use hair care products for fear of being labelled effiminate.

Fail to use hair care products? Probably wouldn't even get near the shower. I doubt they could afford hair care products anyway, after that big pay cut they were forced to take this year .... yeah right :roll:

aqua_duck

Coach
Stewbum said:
Didn't Willie shine against the Poms......NOT

gotta be the most over-rated player in the game currently.
He's in a class of his own in that catergory