What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youth Policy

Anonymous

Juniors
Yeh Richards wasn't too bad. He went OK. And that's a lot better than what I would say about MOST of his team mates.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Richards is hardly to blame. He should stay in 1st grade. Well I'm finally convinced that these young 'guns' are definately NOT up to NRL standards. Perhaps Halatau could keep his spot on the bench, but Collis, Harrison, Fulton etc. etc. need some more experience before they can be a threat in the NRL which they are not really a hope of now.

Vicious

Bench
tiger pride said:
Richards is hardly to blame. He should stay in 1st grade. Well I'm finally convinced that these young 'guns' are definately NOT up to NRL standards. Perhaps Halatau could keep his spot on the bench, but Collis, Harrison, Fulton etc. etc. need some more experience before they can be a threat in the NRL which they are not really a hope of now.
Once again Fulton and Harrison have been played out of position each time they have been given limited game time in 1st grade.How can they be judged on that???Collis admittedly didn`t have a great game yesterday,but who did???He didn`t exactly get any quality ball to show what he`s capable of did he???I`m sick to death of al this uneducated,unwarranted critisism of our younger players.Anyone who thinks they are to blame for our current situation should wake up to themselves and look at the limited game time they have been given! :roll:

simon says

First Grade
Collis.....not ready.
Gibbs.....not ready.
Duffy.....not ready.

Harrison....maybe.

Halatau......READY.
Farah...injured.

And Richards is getting better and faster,he needs more time.

Vicious

Bench
simon says said:
Collis.....not ready.
Gibbs.....not ready.
Duffy.....not ready.

Harrison....maybe.

Halatau......READY.
Farah...injured.

Collis-not ready yet he was a rep centre all through his junior career up until last year.Souths John Sutton,the same age as Dean,never played any junior reps,yet he`s been given a fair crack at playing 1st grade and wouldn`t you know,he beat N.S.W rep Luke Lewis one on one 3 times yesterday and was an important part of Souths win.But it`s no good playing young players is it!!! :roll:

simon says

First Grade
Did you watch the game yesterday you imposter?????

Collis was a bloody joke.....couldnt even catch the ball,looked timid to say the least and was DOMINATED by his opposition who isnt one of the top ten centres.

Give these kids a chance to show that they are good PL players before putting them in a team and getting smashed by 50 every week.

Mate,you have 1 record,and we have heard both sides a million times....get rid of MON and we want every bloke in PL in firsts.....FFS,we get the bloody idea.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vicious

Bench
simon says said:
Did you watch the game yesterday you imposter?????

Collis was a bloody joke.....couldnt even catch the ball,looked timid to say the least and was DOMINATED by his opposition who isnt one of the top ten centres.

Give these kids a chance to show that they are good PL players before putting them in a team and getting smashed by 50 every week.

Mate,you have 1 record,and we have heard both sides a million times....get rid of MON and we want every bloke in PL in firsts.....FFS,we get the bloody idea.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Firstly,as of late I haven`t been calling for MON to be dropped and secondly if you listened to what I said Dean Collis has been rated superior to the likes of John Sutton all through his career by rep selectors yet imbosiles like you want to execute him after 1 game,1 chance!Give yourself an uppercut!

simon says

First Grade
I think you need a few yerself????Or maybe you have had a few too many.Either way there is a serious imbalance there mate.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tigerpete

Juniors
I think it would only be fair to give Collis a reprieve this week, it would be harsh to drop him because he really lacked any support out there, a young guy needs support out there if he's to do well. I think Harrison should stay in there, he along with Halatau look like they can handle it, all they need is consisntant first grade so that they can develop into even ebtter players.

Vicious

Bench
Tigerpete said:
I think it would only be fair to give Collis a reprieve this week, it would be harsh to drop him because he really lacked any support out there, a young guy needs support out there if he's to do well. I think Harrison should stay in there, he along with Halatau look like they can handle it, all they need is consisntant first grade so that they can develop into even ebtter players.
Thats all i`ve been saying.I haven`t said to put a whole side full of 19-20 year olds.We have a select few in Halatau,Harrison,Fulton,Gibbs,Collis,Marshall and Farah(who unfortunately are both gone for the season),Greally and Isaac De Gois who all were a class above their own age group and have been for quite some time.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Welll Sheens made it clear yesterday that he'll be selcting a side with a view to 2005......so you'll get ur wish now vicious,lol.

Once Dead

Bench
Vicious said:
simon says said:
Collis.....not ready.
Gibbs.....not ready.
Duffy.....not ready.

Harrison....maybe.

Halatau......READY.
Farah...injured.

Collis-not ready yet he was a rep centre all through his junior career up until last year.Souths John Sutton,the same age as Dean,never played any junior reps,yet he`s been given a fair crack at playing 1st grade and wouldn`t you know,he beat N.S.W rep Luke Lewis one on one 3 times yesterday and was an important part of Souths win.But it`s no good playing young players is it!!! :roll:

Just because Sutton beats Lewis (who mind you, is half dead after the mid-week Origin game) you think that Collis will automatically do the same?

On your reasoning, you want us to re-sign JACKSON KAUFUSI right? He had 1 awesome debut game, even better than SUTTON! WOW - he turned out to be real good hey?

Vicious

Bench
Impellitteri said:
Vicious said:
simon says said:
Collis.....not ready.
Gibbs.....not ready.
Duffy.....not ready.

Harrison....maybe.

Halatau......READY.
Farah...injured.

Just because Sutton beats Lewis (who mind you, is half dead after the mid-week Origin game) you think that Collis will automatically do the same?

On your reasoning, you want us to re-sign JACKSON KAUFUSI right? He had 1 awesome debut game, even better than SUTTON! WOW - he turned out to be real good hey?
Difference is Kaufusi had numerous chances to prove himself and FAILED.Our current youngsters haven`t had a chance to prove themselves yet they are ridiculed by some of our supporters???What ge would you like a good young player to start playing 1st grade regularly???25?

Once Dead

Bench
Vicious said:
Impellitteri said:
Vicious said:
simon says said:
Collis.....not ready.
Gibbs.....not ready.
Duffy.....not ready.

Harrison....maybe.

Halatau......READY.
Farah...injured.

Difference is Kaufusi had numerous chances to prove himself and FAILED.Our current youngsters haven`t had a chance to prove themselves yet they are ridiculed by some of our supporters???What ge would you like a good young player to start playing 1st grade regularly???25?

Hold on, hold on, hold on...refer to the points i have made, not the ones i haven't....btw- they are ridiculed? LOL - first time i've heard that....maybe their games and errors get analysed because some posters say that they have AWESOME games when they touch the ball twice and drop the ball one of those times

phenisha

Juniors
simon says said:
Collis.....not ready.
Gibbs.....not ready.
Duffy.....not ready.

Harrison....maybe.

Halatau......READY.
Farah...injured.

could i also add, fulton...not ready

simon this is exactly correct. the only player who is playing above his age is dene all the rest are just simply not ready.

also from what ive seen in our young blokes come up they are mentally weak, even if they are physically ready (which at present most arent) they are not strong enough to compete for 80 mins with their backs to the wall.

hopefully they all learn from this year and train acordingly all off season.

bonstonker

Juniors
there is nothing wrong with bringing youth into the team if they are ready.
but if they are not ready in both mind and body,then they are being harmed.
look at what gibbs has been reduced to,he is a shadow of his former self.
the trouble with most of our young forwards is that most are not big enough and also run the risk of being creamed out there as well.

in saying that,if sheens wants one of our youngsters to take over from satts then i would like them to get some more time there for the remainder of the year and give satts some good bench time during games.

i don't mind so much when young players in the backline are given a go as size isn't as important as it is in the forwards.

what i really want to see though is what our props in pl can do.
small has to be given a shot at first grade,but after that the cupboard does seem a bit empty.
at the start of the year i wanted cashy to be given a go,but then he was injured and i see him on the pl reserves bench now,so i'm not sure what is up with him.

make some changes for the future,but let's not go overboard,especially in the forwards.

yappy

Bench
Rubbish!

Fulton, Gibbs, Collis and Harrison are all ready, now. Ready to be top shelf First Graders? Of course not, but ready to be learning their crafts in First Grade. They can learn no more in Premiers holding them back will just stunt their growth. Will you win more games in 04 by playing these guys? No. Will playing them all as much as possible in the remaining games of this year be a huge boost to their development? Of course.

You only have to look at Saints. Everyone crowed about how many stars they have when they flogged you, but go and look at how old those players are and how many First Grade games they've played and how young they were when the debuted. Saints suffered for a few years because they threw these kids like Bailey, Cooper, Gasnier, Hornby, and Ryles who all debuted as 19-20 yr olds in 2000. Did they win the comp that year? Did these players make mistake? Yeah sure they did, but look at them now that they've got four seasons and 70 odd first grade games behind them.

This is what the Tigers should do today. Start giving guys like those mentioned and some others not mentioned a real fair dinkum crack at first grade. Some will fail, but the good ones will thrive and perhaps in four or five years time the Tigers can have the problem of having to let young rep players go because they can't hang on to them all too.

ozcrusader

Bench
Here, here yappy.

You can't expect every young player to be a superstar when they first join - it's a learning curve in top grade.

People here dont think LONG TERM. Is it better having Farah at hooker or Mears/Senter who are going to retire at year end anyway?

Halatua, Gibbs. and Harrison are definitely ready - Harrison is getting better all week and Halatau is the only player in the club who runs straight. Fulton and Collis need the same amount of time and exposure - they are our future.

I will never have a go at Sheens for playing young players - even if we get flogged. I will always have a go at sheens if he insists on playing the Dads Army of Buettner, Senter, Mears, ONeill and Sattler every bloody week.

yappy

Bench
Bon, the rubbish wasn't direct your way pal. :lol:

The point you make about size is valid as well. I really think Gibbo (at roughly the same size as Boof) should be considered as a back rower (at least for the next few years). Small should definitely be given a shot.

One other worth considering though might be Sweeney now that he's back at the club. Yes he is about the bluntest tool in the shed so he's going to need lots of work on his discipline, and yes he's lacking fitness badly so he needs hard work during the week and perhaps only short spells on field, but at 113kg he'd add some real size, and he gets in and has a real go. He may be a liability in the short term, but with the confidence gained from having some faith shown in him, and then a whole serious off-season he could become a very handy additon.

bonstonker

Juniors
tell me what gibbs has learnt from first grade.
dead set the biggest disapointment of 2004 for me.
he gets plenty of game time and does f**k all prop work in the games he has played this year.
just look at his slide in workrate over the year.it started average and has slowly gone down hill all year.

i have no probs with fulton getting time at lock or 5/8,or collis or harrison in the backs,but gibbs is simply not ready.