What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You've got the first 5 picks...

nick87

Coach
A little off season content to help get people thinking about the draft and maybe learn a little more about the top end of this draft...

You've got the first 5 picks of the NFL draft to improve your current team. Who you taking and why?

Obviously different teams will have different teams
For me, the eagles dont have too many needs but the needs they have are significant...

1. Dalvin Cook RB FSU:
The eagles absolutely need a running game to help Wentz out, I think Cook is the best all round back in the class. He isnt quite the thunderous runner that Fournette is, but he fits Dougie P's offence much better because of his ability to catch out of the back field. A true 3 down back, which is what the offence desperately needs

2. Mike Williams WR CLE:
Obviously the eagles had issues at WR. No one could get open and no one could make contested catches. Williams might not be the type of guy who is going to get a ton of separation. But Wentz needs a guy who can make tough contested catches, had a good catch radius and most importantly a red zone monster. That's exactly what Mike Williams is.

3. Marshon Lattimore CB OSU:
I think the Eagles have a really good defence save for one thing - they cant cover a f**king lick at corner. Ideally i'd like to take 2 corners in this exercise but im not sure i will. But im certainly not going to pass up Lattimore, he fits nicely with Schwartz's man to man scheme, he jams exceptionally well at the LOS. He's the best fit for our scheme in the draft.

4. Jonathon Allen DT ALA:
The eagles have got Bennie Logan as a UFA this off season and i dont think they can match what he's going to get on an open market. So replacing him with someone like Allen who is stout against the run, but has the quickness to be an effective interior pass rusher too. It's an easy comp but he's reminds me a lot of Aaron Donald and i think he's perfectly suited to an aggressive 4-3 front.

5. John Ross WR WAS
I wanted to go Corner here again, but i feel like this draft is really strong with Corners and you can come back in round 3 or 4 and find a good #2. So im taking another WR to give Wentz another weapon, i really strongly considered Dede Westbrook here who i think is DeSean Jackson 2,0. and Corey Davis was the easy call. But i went with John Ross. Williams is the big bodied contested catch guy, now Wentz needs someone who can flat out win and separate with route running down to down. Someone he can trust to be open on key 3rd downs and stretch the field to open it up for Ertz and Williams. I like Ross a lot, think he can be a bit TY Hilton-ish

Over to you boys?
Who you got

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Just 5? 49ers have more needs than that, especially with a lot of questions over who our DC is going to be and how we will run the defense so my answers could change once that's settled. For now though..

1. Myles Garrett DE - No brainer for a 9ers team that desperately need to get some pressure on the opposition QB. Garrett can dominate from the start and with Buckner coming into his second year it would provide a great foundation, especially when combined with my next couple of picks. Probably don't need to go into much detail here, you all know who he is and what he brings.

2. Marshon Lattimore CB - 9ers have a decent young corp of DB's, but Lattimore is potentially an elite CB who you could place on the oppositions number 1 guy and get results. Has enough size and speed to match up against larger and speedier receivers as needed.

3. Zach Cunningham ILB - Bowman will eventually need to be replaced but for the moment he just needs a reliable partner in crime at ILB. Was tempted to go Forster here, and that might be the safer bet, but I feel like Cunningham is going to end up being the best ILB in this draft. The clincher for me is that Cunningham is an absolute beast against the run, something the 9ers couldn't stop at all in 2016.

4. Christian McCaffrey RB - Might seem strange passing over Cook/Fournette, but I think McCaffrey has Shanahan written all over him. We have Carlos Hyde who is a very good RB, but he can't stay on the field. McCaffrey adds another dimension, the guy IMO is the most explosive RB and the best route runner which for a Shanahan offense is pretty crucial. A hyde/McCaffrey tandem in a run first offense would set the tone nicely.

5. Corey Davis WR - I like Williams, but for me Davis is best suited to Shanahan's offense. He's quick, athletic, and a polished route runner. He would give the 9ers an instant weapon and hopefully free up Smith to get better quality receptions. The potential synergy/matchup that he could bring alongside McCaffrey also is part of the reason why i went Davis over Williams.

shiznit

Coach
For the Raiders I'd go....

1. Jonathan Allen DT - We seriously need to be able to provide pressure through the middle to help out our edge rushers in Mack, Irvin & Aldon Smith.

2. Marshon Lattimore CB - We need some youth and speed in the secondary.

3. Jamal Adams S - same as above. Would form the basis of a young talented secondary with Lattimore and Karl Joseph.

4. Reuben Foster ILB - The biggest hole we have on defence is at ILB. This kid has speed and playmaking ability which we BADLY need at the Mike.

5. Leonard Fournette RB - Don't overpay to keep Latavius Murray this summer. Fournette would be a great pick up and complementary for our 2 little quick RB's.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Myles Garrett OLB - OLB is the Steelers biggest need, Jarvis Jones was a bust and on his way out, Dupree has shown glimpses and Harrison will be 39 if he comes back for another run. Unless an absolute gift falls in their lap at 30 they're taking an OLB first up so it makes sense to take Garrett.

Reuben Foster ILB - Lawrence Timmons is an ageing FA and the depth chart isn't great. This guy paired up with Shazier would be dynamite and sets up the Steelers front-7 for a long time.

O.J. Howard TE - Ladarius Green has a big concussion shaped question mark over his head, he's not a blocker either and Jesse James is a back up. Howard fills the role Heath Miller had for so long, not as good a blocker but a better receiver.

Marshon Lattimore CB - The Steelers have a young CB corps with potential but he's an upgrade over any of them.

Solomon Thomas OLB - Doubling up at OLB, can't have enough QB killers.

Very tempted to go WR or RB to cover for the Martavis Bryant and/or Bell idiocy, but I'll put some faith in them for now.

nick87

Coach
Like the OJ Howard pick, if the steelers had a TE down the seam and Bryant back on the park I don't see how anyone can stop that
and the bold McCathrey pick for the niners there, he'd be dynamic in a Shanny offence

DC_fan

Coach
You don't need to be John Madden to realise the Cowboys main needs come on defense.

1. Myles Garrett (ER) - The Cowboys cannot be sure what will happen with or what they have with Randy Gregory. Demarcus Lawrence and David Irving show promise as rushers, but both need to enhance their games. When you finish the season with just 36 sacks their is obviously a need for a game changer and Garrett is just that.

2. Marshon Lattimore (CB) - The Cowboys may lose both their starting CB's (Carr and Claiborne) from last season. Not to say either had an outstanding 2016. Dallas finished near bottom of the league with 9 intercepts. Carr and Claiborne finished with one intercepts apiece. Lattimore brings athletic ability, but not a whole lot of experience.

3. O.J. Howard (TE) - Jason Witten is nearing the end of his Hall of Fame Career and their is no one presently on the roster who the team feels comfortable with as his replacement. A different style to that of Witten, Howard being more athletic and will bring a new factor to the passing game. The downside being, he is not the blocker Witten is.

4. Corey Davis (WR) - Terrence Williams is a free agent, which opens the possibility for the need of a new WR. Then again the Cowboys may look to upgrade the position regardless of what Williams does. Davis at 6-3 and 213 brings size similar to that of Dez Bryant. Knows how to get to the end zone, scoring 52 td's in his college career.

5. Marlon Humphrey (CB) - You can never have enough corners. Humphrey has the size and speed to be a factor.

Tom155

Coach
One person's opinion there are plenty of others that disagree or you could watch him play & see for yourself

Tom155

Coach
Broncos

1. Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama - Broncos run D has to improve & Allen is stout against the run, strong on the edge but has proficient technique, a variety of moves & the quickness to be an consistent effective pass rusher, versatile can play outside and inside. Smart, Athletic, Leader, Stud.

2. OJ Howard, TE, Alabama - Broncos currently do not have a consistent threat in the middle of the field in the passing game. Howard is an exceptional athlete with tremendous acceleration, Howard can turn a short throw into a long gain & has the ability to threaten every level of a defence. Great hands & can adjust to poorly thrown balls and secure contested catches, showing no fear going over the middle. Matchup nightmare for opposing defences he can be lined up all over the field. Excellent blocker, complete TE. High ceiling, would be a terrific security blanket for Lynch.

3. Rueben Foster, MLB, Alabama - Denver MLB have struggled in coverage, Foster would be an immediate upgrade he is an outstanding athlete with elite sideline-to-sideline range. Incredible hitter who always brings it.

4. Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin/Garrett Bolles, OT, Utah - Denver O-line has to be a lot better if we want to see any improvement from the offence period. Both Ramczyk & Bolles are tough athletic technicians with the ability to thrive in Denver's system.

5. Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU/Dalvin Cook, RB, FSU - CJ is always hurt & Booker has yet to show he can carry the full load, Fournette or Cook would help take the offence to another level & ease the pressure on Lynch. Fournette is a rare talent built like a linebacker with speed like a receiver & punishes defenders who try to tackle him. Cook is talented runner comfortable in any scheme with outstanding balance, vision, footwork and burst, a homerun hitter.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
2. OJ Howard, TE, Alabama - Broncos currently do not have a consistent threat in the middle of the field in the passing game. Howard is an exceptional athlete with tremendous acceleration, Howard can turn a short throw into a long gain & has the ability to threaten every level of a defence. Great hands & can adjust to poorly thrown balls and secure contested catches, showing no fear going over the middle. Matchup nightmare for opposing defences he can be lined up all over the field. Excellent blocker, complete TE. High ceiling, would be a terrific security blanket for Lynch.

I see you had to get that in lol

4. Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin/Garrett Bolles, OT, Utah - Denver O-line has to be a lot better if we want to see any improvement from the offence period. Both Ramczyk & Bolles are tough athletic technicians with the ability to thrive in Denver's system.

If they want to keep a Romo healthy

shiznit

Coach
I gotta say...

I do find it ironic that in the other draft thread there seems to be a strong consensus that some of these QBs will go early...

Yet in this exercise I don't think anyone has actually picked a QB yet...

and so far that includes the 49ers and Broncos... who have massive QB issues...

I think that probably speaks to how everyone rates this QB class...

Tom155

Coach
I gotta say...

I do find it ironic that in the other draft thread there seems to be a strong consensus that some of these QBs will go early...

Broncos wouldn't go QB regardless of how good the class is when they just spent a 1st round pick on one last draft

You know QB's will go early in the real draft regardless of how good they are/might be, desperate teams will always gamble & reach for one, here you can pick many of the most talented players to fit your team

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Broncos wouldn't go QB regardless of how good the class is when they just spent a 1st round pick on one last draft
Edit - I did write a couple of paragraphs arguing this with you but after sitting on it for 5 or so minutes I actually realised it's better to agree to disagree...

Rather than me hijack this thread... lol

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I gotta say...

49ers desperately need a QB. but yeah, I don't rate any of them that highly, especially with Shanahan who doesn't run the kind of offense you want to throw a rookie straight into.

Aside from that the 9ers have so many needs I'd rather try to rebuild other parts of the roster before bringing a QB in. I think any QB thrown into this 9ers team is destined to fail, even if there's 4 other top drafts picks alongside him.

dogslife

Coach
I don't watch a lot of college ball so never feel educated enough to comment in these threads.

I like the look of the TE from Miami though. I don't think he's as polished as Howard, but I think he's a better athlete, reckon he might raise a few eyebrows at the combine

Tom155

Coach
I don't watch a lot of college ball so never feel educated enough to comment in these threads.

I like the look of the TE from Miami though. I don't think he's as polished as Howard, but I think he's a better athlete, reckon he might raise a few eyebrows at the combine
David Njoku

Tom155

Coach
Edit - I did write a couple of paragraphs arguing this with you but after sitting on it for 5 or so minutes I actually realised it's better to agree to disagree...

Rather than me hijack this thread... lol
Not sure what you would argue about, it doesn't matter which team it is no team is going to spend 1st round picks on QB's in consecutive years unless there is a career ending injury or sudden shock retirement etc, extremely rare cases

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
QB's always go high even when they dont really deserve to. the upside of hitting is too large but this class has a reek about it imo