What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

TomRedVRiver

Bench
We should definitely see Lomax in action in the Charity Shield. If you remember last year, Mary played Aitken and Lafai for the first half, then Mann and Milne for the second.
I'd suggest it'll be similar this time around except the second half centre pairing will be Lomax and Mann/Herbert. He might play Lafai on the left for 80 minutes and change up the right hand side.

Either way he'll be playing. He's a top 30 squad member, they're all on show in the trials.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Can’t see it happening mate. Coach is way too limited to be that adventurous.
Besides, there is not a lot to be gained by throwing him in so early against seasoned players. He will get his chance though.
We should also not throw mcidiot in against seasoned coaches - maybe save our coach being involved until about round 15.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Spot on cussy
If they thow him in just on potential.
He may sink and never recover.
If he's killing it in rev grade consistently he will get his chance.
To me mann, Herbert and garrick all ahead of him at this stage.
Yawn, and snooze.

The great new StGeorge Illawarra model. Right here and on display.

Safety first lads. Take no chances and nobody will lose their jobs.

Look at Reg Gasnier if you want to see how we used to run this once great club.

Gareth67

First Grade
Dragonsammy61 - I was just trying to remember that other young Dragon player ( centre/winger )that worked his way into 1st grade back in 2014-15 ? A big lump of a lad , full of promise but unfortunately we let him go . I thought that he would make a name for himself , but have not heard anymore of him ?

possm

Coach
Spot on cussy
If they thow him in just on potential.
He may sink and never recover.
If he's killing it in rev grade consistently he will get his chance.
To me mann, Herbert and garrick all ahead of him at this stage.
I'd say that Lomax is seen as the next best thing by the Club and the new SOO coach. Although I'm very much looking forward to a number of speedy outside backs from our junior ranks, only Lomax and Robson - hooker - seem to be standouts.

It seems that Mary is likely to select the likes of Macdonald, Aitken and Nightingale first up in Round 1 however, it won't be long before our talented youngster will shine in reserve grade and force their way into our slow and clunky first grade backline. I expect Lomax to be the standout in reserve grade and depending on the form of Aitken and Dufty, may be the first cab off the rank to be promoted to first grade.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
One of the Young guns would have to bite supercoach s ear off for him to take any notice of how they are going sorry to say .no
Yawn, and snooze.

The great new StGeorge Illawarra model. Right here and on display.

Safety first lads. Take no chances and nobody will lose their jobs.

Look at Reg Gasnier if you want to see how we used to run this once great club.

Ancient history
I have seen him play and reg was a legend.
To say that lomax is the same as gasnier is total unfair on both of them.
He is not good enough yet to be mentioned in the same sentence.
When he make nrl level he may one day be but that is a way off.
Different game nowdays.
For startes you are not able to play nrl before you are 18.
So even reg would have to wait.
I know that lomax is older.
Any rate that my option and you are entitled to yours

Last edited:

Uplifting

Juniors
One thing I’ve noticed about preseason at the Dragons in the last six years, is there hasn’t been any player who has played their way in to the fg team for round 1.

No matter how well someone plays in trials, the coach picks the team he conjured up in his mind before preseason started.

Thankfully for Lomax, it’s his first year in the FG squad and he knows he is not in the running for r1. If he plays well however throughout the year, he will probably get a run. We have a few backs who strugle to stay fit and well.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Hopefully this year backs who are pedestrian, turnstiles, have dropsy and/or are poor in attack will get replaced by NRL standard players. Is that asking too much when you have a squiad of thirty players?

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Ancient history
I have seen him play and reg was a legend.
To say that lomax is the same as gasnier is total unfair on both of them.
He is not good enough yet to be mentioned in the same sentence.
When he make nrl level he may one day be but that is a way off.
Different game nowdays.
For startes you are not able to play nrl before you are 18.
So even reg would have to wait.
I know that lomax is older.
Any rate that my option and you are entitled to yours
I take your point and I certainly wasn’t trying to compare the young kid to an immortal - just pointing out that the great saints teams used to blood the best as soon as they saw potential. Nobody knew reg was an immortal when they blooded him but we all sure knew the massive potential. He is an extreme example to make my point.

Many clubs are blooding talent in current era as soon as they see the potential and it is working - we wait and wait and sign Reggie nobody’s and then our young talent leaves ala Bird. We have a coach and a Board in job protection mode - safety first lads.

RufusRex

Post Whore
I take your point and I certainly wasn’t trying to compare the young kid to an immortal - just pointing out that the great saints teams used to blood the best as soon as they saw potential. Nobody knew reg was an immortal when they blooded him but we all sure knew the massive potential. He is an extreme example to make my point.

Many clubs are blooding talent in current era as soon as they see the potential and it is working - we wait and wait and sign Reggie nobody’s and then our young talent leaves ala Bird. We have a coach and a Board in job protection mode - safety first lads.

Some of the young wingers to make an impact recently

Addo Carr - Played 9 games in 2016 for the tigers but was actively recuited by the Storm .. Played every game and seasons top scorer ... debuted at 20
Vunivalo - 2 amazing seasons - debuted in 2016 as a 21 year old
Lattrell Mitchell - 2nd season - debuted as an 18 year old in 2016
Bevan French - debuted in 2016 as a 20 year old
Tom Trbo - debuted from the wing in 2015 as an 18 year old
DWZ - Panthers - debuted 2014 as an 18 year old
Cotric - 18 year old last season
Montoya - 21 year old last season - merkin scored against us in Round 26 last year too.

The one thing that all of these blokes have in common is a coach willing to give them a shot.

denis preston

First Grade
One thing I’ve noticed about preseason at the Dragons in the last six years, is there hasn’t been any player who has played their way in to the fg team for round 1.

No matter how well someone plays in trials, the coach picks the team he conjured up in his mind before preseason started.

Thankfully for Lomax, it’s his first year in the FG squad and he knows he is not in the running for r1. If he plays well however throughout the year, he will probably get a run. We have a few backs who strugle to stay fit and well.
Didn't Lafai get his position back in round 1 last season due to his efforts in the preseason training ?

Bench
If we don’t give players like Lomax a run in first grade other teams will be trying to poach them.
Our centers and wingers, in my opinion are not consistent or speedy by any means.
We should have all ready identified players coming through that could fill those positions.
I remember somewhere it was stated that a club should bring one or two players to transition to first grade in any one year.
I don’t see our coach having that mindset. I don’t see Mary changing the starting lineup.
I don’t see him giving our juniors a spot on the bench.

Drag Queen

Bench
If we don’t give players like Lomax a run in first grade other teams will be trying to poach them.
Our centers and wingers, in my opinion are not consistent or speedy by any means.
We should have all ready identified players coming through that could fill those positions.
I remember somewhere it was stated that a club should bring one or two players to transition to first grade in any one year.
I don’t see our coach having that mindset. I don’t see Mary changing the starting lineup.
I don’t see him giving our juniors a spot on the bench.
Settle petal. I've got a feeling that Millward has more control than you think. As for poaching.. well it hasn't happened since Bird. I'm up for correction though. Furthermore, I reckon McGregor is now a mere puppet master. Just an observation of course.

Latest posts