What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Your obviously taking the piss! Mark Gasnier the greatest centre in the last 20 years by a country mile. Coops was a great defender and “straight runner” - worst passing centre though.. couldn’t set up a bloke at a brothel !
Opinions everyone has one but try and prove and that's where the fun begins
Mark Gasnier in 175 games scored 92 tries for the dragons
Matt Cooper in 246 games scored 126 tries for the dragons
Take it for what it is they were both great centres .......

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I'm not saying that I don't believe Mann shouldn't be picked, rather it's McGregor who won't pick him.

One thing is for certain though, YOU'RE definitely not a MENSA candidate either.

*Probably still doesn't understand*.
That certainly makes two of us Jimmy take it easy mate my brains are not the topic .......

Last edited:

Forster Dragon

Juniors
I'm not saying that I don't believe Mann shouldn't be picked, rather it's McGregor who won't pick him.

One thing is for certain though, YOU'RE definitely not a MENSA candidate either.

*Probably still doesn't understand*.
Gasnier was the best centre by a long way.If young Lomax is up there with him we will have an ace for years to come.Impressive Young man.

possm

Coach
I don't get shifting Lafai from left centre .. he is so dangerous on that side

I'm sure he would be just a damaging on the right. His defence is great and with his experience, the holes on our leaky right side might just get plugged. Mann plays much better on the left side.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Your obviously taking the piss! Mark Gasnier the greatest centre in the last 20 years by a country mile. Coops was a great defender and “straight runner” - worst passing centre though.. couldn’t set up a bloke at a brothel !
I have to disagree with you about Coops lack of passing ability. When he was playing under Bennett, our left side was our productive side. That was Coops side. Coops was setting up B Morris beautifully.

I do agree with you that Gasnier was better. I rate Gasnier and O'Conner the 2 best centres we have had in the last 36 years.

possm

Coach
Why wouldn’t you at least want a bloke who scores at a try a game rate on the left wing?

Yes, Brett Morris did that and either Lomax or Mann could do that for us with Widdop inside them. Lomax to be blooded on the left wing and eventually move to centre. Macdonald and Nightingale to fight it out early for the right wing.

BennyV

Referee
If Mann gets selected anywhere in the top 17, I'll eat something unpalatable.
Not sure if serious - Mann should be the second outside back picked IMO. If not at right centre, then definitely on the wing (I actually rate him as our best winger ATM).

If you're referring to Mary's plans (as opposed to your own opinions) then he's a lock in for the 17 jersey with 75minutes spent warming the bench. Mary seems to love that plan.

BennyV

Referee
I'm sure he would be just a damaging on the right. His defence is great and with his experience, the holes on our leaky right side might just get plugged. Mann plays much better on the left side.
Mann plays better on the left, but he can step both ways and path booths ways, his attributes are more easily transferable to the right. He is also solid in defence on the right. Lafai has a right handed flick-pass , left handed fend and steps better off his left foot, should definitely be staying on the left.

blacksafake

First Grade
Dont need to wait. The backline will be Dufty, Nightingale, Lafai, Aitken and Macdonald with Mann on the bench.

IMO the only back who deserves a lock in a starting spot is Lafai. The rest should be up for grabs.
Most likely :confused:o_O

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Not sure if serious - Mann should be the second outside back picked IMO. If not at right centre, then definitely on the wing (I actually rate him as our best winger ATM).

If you're referring to Mary's plans (as opposed to your own opinions) then he's a lock in for the 17 jersey with 75minutes spent warming the bench. Mary seems to love that plan.

Sadly, I'm deadly serious.

You only have to see how McGregor has treated him since his arrival to SGI to acknowledge he's not a 'shoe in' for selection in the top 17 to play Brisbane in round one.

Some points:

1. Following his disastrous game against Cronulla a couple of seasons ago at fullback, McGregor has obdurately refused to consider him AT ALL in that role again.

2. Mann was then shafted to reserve grade for TWO MONTHS while the side continued to flounder.

3. McGregor gives him a reprieve as a last resort contingency on the wing, where he excels while becoming the team's leading try scorer.

4. Despite this, Mann fails to be selected in the round one 2017 team.

5. With McCrone CLEARLY unable to sustain consistent, good form in first grade (for the ENTIRE year), McGregor then picks Mann in another unfamiliar position (halfback). Despite an absence of a kicking game and being a little indifferent at times, Mann goes ok....but, of course, 'the coach' eventually falls back to McCrone.

I really hope Mann scores not only a round one spot, but also a permanent role for the whole 2018 season.

Given McGregor's proclivities towards conservatism, I won't be holding my breath.

Hopefully this post illustrates my OPINION clearly.

Personally, I'd have Mann at five eighth, Widdop to halfback and Hunt to hooker.

Overseas dragon

Juniors

You only have to see how McGregor has treated him since his arrival to SGI to acknowledge he's not a 'shoe in' for selection in the top 17 to play Brisbane in round one.

Some points:

1. Following his disastrous game against Cronulla a couple of seasons ago at fullback, McGregor has obdurately refused to consider him AT ALL in that role again.

2. Mann was then shafted to reserve grade for TWO MONTHS while the side continued to flounder.

3. McGregor gives him a reprieve as a last resort contingency on the wing, where he excels while becoming the team's leading try scorer.

5. With McCrone CLEARLY unable to sustain consistent, good form in first grade (for the ENTIRE year), McGregor then picks Mann in another unfamiliar position (halfback). Despite an absence of a kicking game and being a little indifferent at times, Mann goes ok....but, of course, 'the coach' eventually falls back to McCrone.

I really hope Mann scores not only a round one spot, but also a permanent role for the whole 2018 season.

Given McGregor's proclivities towards conservatism, I won't be holding my breath.

Personally, I'd have Mann at five eighth, Widdop to halfback and Hunt to hooker.
Well jimmy you would select Mann at another unfamiliar position move the 5/8 of the year to half and send the million dollar man to hooker before we have seen what they can do in their correct position..... ....says it all I have no comment on that ...........Mann I would replace McDonald or Aitken or Nightingale with him Bellamy played Mann at centre maybe he knows more than most of us

Last edited:

possm

Coach

Some points:

For season 2018 there are a number of players - other than Mann - who could fill the fourth spot on the bench:
Field
Robson
Nicholls
Allgood
Latimore
Lawrie
Sele
Kerr

It all depends on the game plan the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. The fitness of key players could also determin who you have as backup for the fourth bench spot.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Well jimmy you would select Mann at another unfamiliar position move the 5/8 of the year to half and send the million dollar man to hooker before we have seen what they can do in their correct position..... ....says it all I have no comment on that ...........Mann I would replace McDonald or Aitken or Nightingale with him Bellamy played Mann at centre maybe he knows more than most of us

Well MENSA, if you had done some research regarding Mann, you would know that he played five eighth for most of his junior career.

Also, Bellamy only played him in the centres due the quality halves Melbourne has had for a prolonged time.

Additionally, Phil Gould tried very hard to recruit him at Penrith to play in the number 6 jumper.

He's a five eighth,. Always has been, always will be one. It's only because he's got a fair amount of skill that's seen him excel in the centres, and on the wing.

As for Hunt, I won't say much other to point out he did really well for Brisbane playing hooker.

Latest posts