What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Adam Ritson was 16 from memory and playing in the front row (under the tutelage of one of the best props to ever play the game). You can't just take a blanket approach - you need to judge each individual player's size, maturity and skill levels and make the call form there.

Also now you can't play nrl unless you are 18.
So there will be less of it happening

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Would like nothing better than these juniors to make their mark on the game early on. However as pointed out by others we must ensure that they are indeed ready to make the jump fron the '20 squad into the big arena where playing against more larger built players is the norm .

Lomax certainly looks the goods , there's no doubting that , but I like gizbo71 reasoning , play him in n the ISP and hardened his body for the more physically demanding 1st grade . By doing this we won't be throwing him to the wolves and breaking his spirit should he fail at his first few games in the NRL .

Instead we shall have a stronger and more confident young man who will be better prepared when the call does go out to him , whether that be later this season or next , one thing is for sure , when he is a permanent member of the Dragons top grade , we will all have ourselves a very good player to cheer about .

Your post reminds me of the time 'critics' threw an enormous amount of vitriol against Steve Price for not promoting a young Josh Drinkwater way back in 2012.

Where is he now? Last seen, somewhere in the ESL.

Advancing juniors can be a risky business, especially if they're not battle hardened for first grade.

Gareth67

First Grade
Your post reminds me of the time 'critics' threw an enormous amount of vitriol against Steve Price for not promoting a young Josh Drinkwater way back in 2012.

Where is he now? Last seen, somewhere in the ESL.

Advancing juniors can be a risky business, especially if they're not battle hardened for first grade.

Saint _JimmyG , originally I was all for giving him the chance to play 1st grade , however the more I look at his build , the more I believe that he needs to put more poundage on his frame - not overdo it , but enough for his speed and agility to continue to shine .

This bloke could be a throwback to the era when the Dragons were blessed with some really talented centres , I won't mention names , but up there with some of our best . Another year in the reserves won't harm him at all .

redVinme

Bench
Saint _JimmyG , originally I was all for giving him the chance to play 1st grade , however the more I look at his build , the more I believe that he needs to put more poundage on his frame - not overdo it , but enough for his speed and agility to continue to shine .

This bloke could be a throwback to the era when the Dragons were blessed with some really talented centres , I won't mention names , but up there with some of our best . Another year in the reserves won't harm him at all .

Couple of kgs would be good get him up to cotrics weight and he'd be golden.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Mary was a very good centre. He played for NSW, but he did not debut in first grade until about the age of 23. That was not because he wasn't good enough. I heard/read that he knocked back offers to play for Illawarra as a youngster and was content playing in the Illawarra league. Maybe because Mary did not debut until around 23, is one reason that he is hesitant to blood young players? That is just an idea.

gitano

Juniors
Old enough if good enough. Mann 3rd choice right centre now. Just need to decide if Dufty is big enough.

gitano

Juniors
Mary was a very good centre. He played for NSW, but he did not debut in first grade until about the age of 23. That was not because he wasn't good enough. I heard/read that he knocked back offers to play for Illawarra as a youngster and was content playing in the Illawarra league. Maybe because Mary did not debut until around 23, is one reason that he is hesitant to blood young players? That is just an idea.
No

hazzbeen

Bench
Lomax should have been blooded and tested on the Wing during these trials!! It was good enough for two talented juniors in Gaz and Coops to make their first grade working apprenticeship as wingers before moving into the centre position.
No foresight at all with McSpeedbump Coach!
Same smell just a different year ? Early days yet .... Its a work in progress, it will happen ..... I dont know what but it will ......

gitano

Juniors
Coops played centre before wing
Gaz played wing for two games before getting a run a centre

Lomax spent time at wing vs Hull I thought

Regardless ... he is ready now start him at wing with mann centre and swap them around after a few games
Mann is way down the pecking order of centres. Has to hope he gets the 14 pending Field and co pressuring for that spot.

possm

Coach
I seriously believe that Lomax is the best centre we have at our club right now. We have been wasting our time with Aitken for 3 years now. Aitken isn't a centre and never was a centre.

Lomax is fast becoming my favourite Dragons player right now. My 10 year old boy already gets disappointed when he is not in the run on 13.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Lomax is a no brainer for centre in FG this year and rep honors in the future. Our biggest weakness is in the centres, please get him in there asap.

Latest posts