What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

getsmarty

Immortal
100% disagree. Winning the spoon ia an absolute embarrassment. Its the ultimate insult. Winning 2 in a row is even worse. The Dragons have been mediocre for the last while and that sux. We want to be playing finals.
But I am not of the opinion that 16th is just like 9th or 11th. Knights will no doubt improve with their quality signings but I still think that statements like "we should do what the knights are doing and just blood youngsters" is ridiculous.
Besides a few positions in the backs we have an experienced, talented roster this year, far superior to the knights and I do not see knights and dragons in the same class, we will be miles ahead of them.
Knights are fricken wooden spoon losers and we are the mighty mediocre dragons! Big difference.

Didn't the Knights beat us this year?

Newcastle have made some astute signings, wouldn't be surprised if they finished between 8 and 12.

Back to the topic.

Mary says Lomax is training the house down. He has size, stamina and speed. May be the smoky for FG selection at full back.

Has a step and shimmy. Can kick goals and field goals.

Aitken and McDonald will need to start the season in top form to avoid spending time in reggies.

The kid could well be the real deal !

Frank Facer

First Grade
Problem is we have our halves sorted so to speak Possm. I've got complete confidence with Widdop and Hunt. McIness has been locked in for No9, not so sure. Lomax wanting the No 1 jersey doesn't leave much room for Field or Dufty tbh. He could be our Tommy Turbo. Just conjecture at this point in time. Nicholls has proven to be a fairly good half and has some size about him
I like your statement that Lomax could be our Tommy Turbo. I think/hope you are correct. I would actually have Tom penciled in as one NSW centre next year. I think fullback is his best position, but I want to fit Tedesco in at fullback. I think Tom is on his way to becoming a superstar. I think Lomax has superstar written all over him too. Dufty or Field may have to really perform to keep Lomax in the centres, but then another club could offer him big money to play fullback for them. Slater kept Inglis in the centres or 5/8.

Hills Dragon

Juniors
I hope Zac is given an opportunity early and goes well. Adding a big quality outside back would be a massive boost to our chances in 2018.

I would also add that any player who is spoken about and is good enough to cement a spot at 18 is highly likely to have a very bright future in the NRL
Yeah, because that’s what McGregor does - he gives young blokes an early opportunity.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Problem is we have our halves sorted so to speak Possm. I've got complete confidence with Widdop and Hunt. McIness has been locked in for No9, not so sure. Lomax wanting the No 1 jersey doesn't leave much room for Field or Dufty tbh. He could be our Tommy Turbo. Just conjecture at this point in time. Nicholls has proven to be a fairly good half and has some size about him
I will also add that Latrell Mitchell is another who we could compare Lomax to. Mitchell made his debut as a 17 or 18 year old. He can play both centre and fullback too. I would have either Mitchell or Bird penciled in to partner Tommy Turbo in the centres for NSW next year.

Drag Queen

Bench
Newcastle have made some astute signings, wouldn't be surprised if they finished between 8 and 12.
I agree SF. They also have some pretty handy youngsters
I like your statement that Lomax could be our Tommy Turbo. I think/hope you are correct. I would actually have Tom penciled in as one NSW centre next year. I think fullback is his best position, but I want to fit Tedesco in at fullback. I think Tom is on his way to becoming a superstar. I think Lomax has superstar written all over him too. Dufty or Field may have to really perform to keep Lomax in the centres, but then another club could offer him big money to play fullback for them. Slater kept Inglis in the centres or 5/8.
You might be on the money Frank. I think we'll finally see a changing of the guard with Fittler and Buderus at the NSW helm.

Walpole

Juniors
The comparisons to Latrell Mitchell and Tom Turbo are interesting. Both those guys actually debuted on the wing, as have many others who then transitioned to their preferred position after a bit of experience. I'd like to see us blood Lomax on the wing to start with but from what we've seen before, Mary likes to talk young blokes up and then have them languish is reserves for most of the year.

giboz71

First Grade
Lomax has size which gives him the edge on guys like Field and Dufty.

I just hope we aren’t stupid enough to make him too big and slow him down like we did with Duges.

Keep him at or around 100 kgs which should be just fine to be FB or centre.

denis preston

First Grade
All this talk about lomax winning the race for fullback, sign him long term etc does my head in. He hasn't even played against men yet has he ? I agree that if his transition is going as well as we all think it will in reggies than start him at winger in NRL and develop from there. I think that unless Dufty has come back to training with a poor attitude and commitment issues than yes , the Fullback role is open but if not surely it is in his hands how he goes ( inept coaching aside ). As much as we talk about other candidates ( some of which will do a "good " job but not great ) for the number 1 role if Dufty fires than it will light up the whole back line.

Old Timer

Coach
The comparisons to Latrell Mitchell and Tom Turbo are interesting. Both those guys actually debuted on the wing, as have many others who then transitioned to their preferred position after a bit of experience. I'd like to see us blood Lomax on the wing to start with but from what we've seen before, Mary likes to talk young blokes up and then have them languish is reserves for most of the year.
100% correct Walpole and yet again people starting to fall for the well rehearsed Mc Fookknuckle dialogue.

"We've learned a lot form last year, the young blokes are training the house down and deserve their chance, all positions are up for grabs, lots of players in contention for all positions, form will count, the trials are important and will be used to finalise positions".

Let's see what we look like as a team in round 7 as surely 6 rounds will be enough to show how much ticker the selection panel have.
In a real club that would be done as early as round 1 but no later than round 4.

We continue to live in hope.

hermidale1

Juniors
I wouldn't count on the kid playing many games in NRL this season. He needs to play against men first in Reserve grade. Then he'll come through.

Walpole

Juniors
You only need look at Nick Cotric as a recent example of how it's done. NYC team of the year in 2016 as a centre, played every game on the wing for Canberra in 2017 as an 18 year old (and scored 16 tries). No doubt the Raiders will look to offload that lump Leilua to some unsuspecting club (probably us!) at some point and move Cotric to centre where he'll be a star.

Life's Good

Coach
NOT choosing a player based on age smacks of a flawed selection strategy in the same vein as Laurie Daley who wanted potential origin players playing at top form for 18 months(not many players hold top form for that long).
I don't propose picking players because they have potential but in the example of Lomax(plus a few others - Herbert, Garrick etc.) we have a the trials which is exactly where we should see these players show their wares.
If you're good enough you are old enough.

possm

Coach
Back to the topic.

Mary says Lomax is training the house down. He has size, stamina and speed. May be the smoky for FG selection at full back.

Has a step and shimmy. Can kick goals and field goals.

Aitken and McDonald will need to start the season in top form to avoid spending time in reggies.

The kid could well be the real deal !
I'm tipping Lomax to have a great season in 2018.
100% correct Walpole and yet again people starting to fall for the well rehearsed Mc Fookknuckle dialogue.

"We've learned a lot form last year, the young blokes are training the house down and deserve their chance, all positions are up for grabs, lots of players in contention for all positions, form will count, the trials are important and will be used to finalise positions".

Let's see what we look like as a team in round 7 as surely 6 rounds will be enough to show how much ticker the selection panel have.
In a real club that would be done as early as round 1 but no later than round 4.

We continue to live in hope.

Drag Queen

Bench
NOT choosing a player based on age smacks of a flawed selection strategy in the same vein as Laurie Daley who wanted potential origin players playing at top form for 18 months(not many players hold top form for that long).
I don't propose picking players because they have potential but in the example of Lomax(plus a few others - Herbert, Garrick etc.) we have a the trials which is exactly where we should see these players show their wares.
If you're good enough you are old enough.
Yes. Cleary, French, Trbojivic and Ponga to name a few. Time to take a punt. Lomax already has his build happening. Agree with Herbert and Garrick, but these two might benefit from a stint in reggies. Maybe Lomax does too, but I think he could leapfrog straight into NRL