What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

BennyV

Referee
Yes. Cleary, French, Trbojivic and Ponga to name a few. Time to take a punt. Lomax already has his build happening. Agree with Herbert and Garrick, but these two might benefit from a stint in reggies. Maybe Lomax does too, but I think he could leapfrog straight into NRL
Herbert had a year in NSW Cup this season, despite being eligible for 20s. IMO, he is next cab off the rank for a centre spot. Garrick was in and out of NSW Cup, good proposition on the wing but I wouldn't be surprised if Lomax jumped over him in the queue by mid-season.

Drag Queen

Bench
Herbert had a year in NSW Cup this season, despite being eligible for 20s. IMO, he is next cab off the rank for a centre spot. Garrick was in and out of NSW Cup, good proposition on the wing but I wouldn't be surprised if Lomax jumped over him in the queue by mid-season.
In all honesty I've only seen Lomax in a couple of games. He was impressive in said games. Not so familiar with Garrick since I've moved further up the coast. Friends tell me Pat Herbert is the wildcard.

BennyV

Referee
In all honesty I've only seen Lomax in a couple of games. He was impressive in said games. Not so familiar with Garrick since I've moved further up the coast. Friends tell me Pat Herbert is the wildcard.
I haven't seen too much of Garrick, just know that he was hugely rated as a youngster. Similar to Lomax, although Lomax seemed to take to NYC a bit better!

I'm a bit fan of Herbert. I think he's flown under the radar for our fans due to the fact that he's a kiwi (ie not playing U20s origin) and that he played reserve grade this year. But he's a good young player - strong, good footwork and great footy IQ.

JDHD

Juniors
I haven't seen too much of Garrick, just know that he was hugely rated as a youngster. Similar to Lomax, although Lomax seemed to take to NYC a bit better!

I'm a bit fan of Herbert. I think he's flown under the radar for our fans due to the fact that he's a kiwi (ie not playing U20s origin) and that he played reserve grade this year. But he's a good young player - strong, good footwork and great footy IQ.

I've got a huge wrap on all three. Lomax was extremely impressive in the Unders State of Origin game this year. Garrick is just big, fast, strong, good. Herbert is smart, instinctive and can kick a field goal from 40 out.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I'm sure there are teams out there that would kill, to have some of our young guns.lets see if Mr McGregor can take advantage of these future stars .over to you MR McGREGOR.just have a word with FREDDIE .......,

possm

Coach
I'd say Herbert did not stand out in 2017. Maybe in 2018 he will find his feet. When you put Lomax and Herbert up against each other, what skill set do you believe Herbert has over Lomax?

Reports are that Lomax is killing it in pre-season training - amoung MEN footballers. If he continues to outshine the likes of Nightingale, Macdonald, Aitken, Lafai and Dufty, surely he should be given the nod to at least be selected in one of our troubled wing spots. To cap it all off, Lomax has been selected in the emerging NSW squad..

When it is reported that Herbert is killing it and out shining the likes of Aitken, Mann, Lafai etc. then yes throw his name into the hat.

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I'd say Herbert did not stand out in 2017. Maybe in 2018 he will find his feet. When you put Lomax and Herbert up against each other, what skill set do you believe Herbert has over Lomax?

Reports are that Lomax is killing it in pre-season training - amoung MEN footballers. If he continues to outshine the likes of Nightingale, Macdonald, Aitken, Lafai and Dufty, surely he should be given the nod to at least be selected in one of our troubled wing spots.

When it is reported that Herbert is killing it and out shining the likes of Aitken, Mann, Lafai etc. then yes throw his name into the hat.
Totally agree POSSM let's see if this years trials are a joke like last year.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Just a thought we don't have any trials until that game against the pommies any guesses for team make up
1 dufty
2 McDonald
3 lafai
4 Aitken
5 Nightingale
6 widdop
7 hunt
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes
10 the big red
11 frizell
12 Thompson
13 de belin
14 au Mai
15 Sims
16 host
17 mann.thats McGREGORS team with no young guns in sight

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Just a thought we don't have any trials until that game against the pommies any guesses for team make up
1 dufty
2 McDonald
3 lafai
4 Aitken
5 Nightingale
6 widdop
7 hunt
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes
10 the big red
11 frizell
12 Thompson
13 de belin
14 au Mai
15 Sims
16 host
All players fit, that is the team that I expect Mary to go with.

Life's Good

Coach
1 dufty
2 McDonald
3 lafai
4 Aitken
5 Nightingale
6 widdop
7 hunt
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes
10 the big red
11 frizell
12 Thompson
13 de belin
14 au Mai
15 Sims
16 host
I hope this isn’t the team. The trial should be about unearthing hidden gems. It looks like we have a dearth of junior outside backs and that is what the trial is for. What are we going to learn about Lafai that we don’t already know.
Give Frizz a longer break and bring through a Leilua.

BennyV

Referee

Reports are that Lomax is killing it in pre-season training - amoung MEN footballers. If he continues to outshine the likes of Nightingale, Macdonald, Aitken, Lafai and Dufty, surely he should be given the nod to at least be selected in one of our troubled wing spots. To cap it all off, Lomax has been selected in the emerging NSW squad..

Of course his name is in the hat - you do know the article was about Lomax, yeah? Hence the mention of his preseason. There was a similar article about Field last year when he was the newbie brought into the top squad!!

Herbert has a year under his belt in NSW Cup against men (lol, training WITH men is far from playing against them) and while it's hard to compare the two in their different style, the extra year of development makes a difference.

That said, Lomax is more suited to the wing than Herbert, so I'd say that he'd be fighting out with Mann and Garrick for any vacated wing spots.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
Of the 3 young backs Lomax has been the standout for me followed by Herbert.

I'm not sold on Garrick from what I have seen but I have been wrong many times before.

JDHD

Juniors
1 dufty
2 McDonald
3 lafai
4 Aitken
5 Nightingale
6 widdop
7 hunt
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes
10 the big red
11 frizell
12 Thompson
13 de belin
14 au Mai
15 Sims
16 host

The only thing I can say that might put your mind at ease is the fact that trials have extended benches, so I can almost guarantee that a bunch of kids will find their way at least onto that one.

Drag Queen

Bench
Of course his name is in the hat - you do know the article was about Lomax, yeah? Hence the mention of his preseason. There was a similar article about Field last year when he was the newbie brought into the top squad!!

Herbert has a year under his belt in NSW Cup against men (lol, training WITH men is far from playing against them) and while it's hard to compare the two in their different style, the extra year of development makes a difference.

That said, Lomax is more suited to the wing than Herbert, so I'd say that he'd be fighting out with Mann and Garrick for any vacated wing spots.
My only problem is who will get punted for a wing position? Nighty or Nene. I'm blindsided with this one. Nighty for his perseverance or Nene for being lazy when he has so much potential. Lomax has put up his hand for the No 1 position so he can play left and right. Seems there is this theme that newbies need to start on the wing. Why?

BennyV

Referee
My only problem is who will get punted for a wing position? Nighty or Nene. I'm blindsided with this one. Nighty for his perseverance or Nene for being lazy when he has so much potential. Lomax has put up his hand for the No 1 position so he can play left and right. Seems there is this theme that newbies need to start on the wing. Why?
Wing is a good position for some youngsters to get used to the speed and physicality of first grade without necessarily being targeted by opposition danger men.

Someone like Lomax, who's assets are his speed and strength, gets to rely on these when playing on the wing while still being tested with bombs and marking up in defense, however he wont have to make the same split-second decisions that he'd have to at centre and it less likely to be constantly run at by opposition backrowers. Similar to Cotric this year. They also will be able to make hit ups in somewhat disorganised defence to build confidence in themselves.

There's been an insane amount of examples of young fullbacks and centres starting their first grade career on the wing and it works a lot of the time.

It's a possibility with Herbert too, but I think his asset and the additional development he received in NSW Cup would allow him to take a centre spot, given the chance.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I moved to Newcastle a few months ago. I've only been to 3-4 games but the fans up this way are contagious whether they win or lose.
I've been up here for 12 years now. I have gone to lots of games and their supporters are very passionate. They love their team no matter the politics and where they sit on the ladder. I wish our supporters were a bit like that.

Crush

Coach
1 dufty
2 McDonald
3 lafai
4 Aitken
5 Nightingale
6 widdop
7 hunt
8 Vaughan
9 McInnes
10 the big red
11 frizell
12 Thompson
13 de belin
14 au Mai
15 Sims
16 host
Id say that will be the exact team for round 1. And presuming all are fit that will be the team for the first 10 weeks at least even if we go 0/10. Because thats Mary's team. I can see him now in press conferences:
" We have an two internationals on the wings in Nightingale and Macdonald. Our centres have both represented their countries and are up and coming Internationals......."

Drag Queen

Bench
Wing is a good position for some youngsters to get used to the speed and physicality of first grade without necessarily being targeted by opposition danger men.

Someone like Lomax, who's assets are his speed and strength, gets to rely on these when playing on the wing while still being tested with bombs and marking up in defense, however he wont have to make the same split-second decisions that he'd have to at centre and it less likely to be constantly run at by opposition backrowers. Similar to Cotric this year. They also will be able to make hit ups in somewhat disorganised defence to build confidence in themselves.

There's been an insane amount of examples of young fullbacks and centres starting their first grade career on the wing and it works a lot of the time.

It's a possibility with Herbert too, but I think his asset and the additional development he received in NSW Cup would allow him to take a centre spot, given the chance.
Ok, would you put Field or Dufty on the wing or is it a size thing? I can see your logic considering French started with a wing position at the Eels. Mind you, he's quite a skinny kid too. Many on this forum have laughed at having Field and Dufty as wingers. Maybe disorganised defence would benefit them too. Thoughts?

Last edited: