What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zapia - The Todd Carney of CEO's, missing money

0,5001,6672658,00.jpg
Answers demanded ... Zappia will have to front the board. Gregg Porteous

Cronulla demand answers from Tony Zappia over alleged misuse of donation

By Peter Kogoy
June 15, 2009
The Cronulla board will demand answers from former club boss Tony Zappia over the alleged misuse of $30,000 which was part of a $1.5 million donation to the Sharks from a terminally ill fan.
The bequest by the dying fan was intended to fund improvements to Cronulla's facilities, but Seven News on Sunday night alleged the money was siphoned off by Zappia.
NRL boss David Gallop described the fresh allegations against Zappia as serious and damning.
"I saw the report on the news and called on the Cronulla board to begin a full and thorough investigation and to report back to the NRL as soon as possible," Gallop told The Australian on Sunday night.
Zappia resigned last week as Cronulla chief executive over an incident on August 9 last year when he accidentally punched Sharks employee Jenny Hall.
The dying fan, a 27-year-old man from the southern NSW town of Goulburn who refuses to be identified, told Seven News on Sunday night that his dying wish was to set up a foundation for Cronulla, who he has supported since the age of seven.
"I've always been a big fan. I grew up watching Andrew Ettingshausen," he said.
"I contacted the Sharks last August to donate part of a massive insurance payout.
"Tony Zappia answered me back almost immediately."
Zappia allegedly told the dying man it would be a good idea to set up a foundation, calling it The Beyond Sharks Foundation.
Seven News reported a company search had revealed the Sharks aren't listed as beneficiaries of the trust and the address for the trust is not the Sharks club. The terminally ill man sent six cheques totalling $30,000 - all but one went to Zappia's home address.
Seven News alleged four of the cheques were made out to the foundation and two to Zappia personally. The dying fan was never sent a receipt.
Outgoing Sharks chairman Barry Pierce said on Sunday night he had never heard of the foundation.
"I know nothing about any foundation and I'm certain other members of the board are in the dark," Pierce said.
"Tony Zappia quit his post last Thursday and I expect to be briefed about the foundation at Tuesday night's board meeting."
The only person to be told about the establishment of the trust, set up in August last year, was first-grade coach Ricky Stuart.
Stuart said at the weekend: "There's nothing done under the table, it's all above board."
Zappia, who was at Canberra Stadium to watch the Sharks edge out the Raiders four days after resigning as Sharks chief executive, did not return calls made by The Australian' newspaper.
But when contacted by the media at the ground, he said: "I'm just here as a fan. I've still got to support the team. I love rugby league."
Zappia said he planned to do "sweet FA" for the next few months before weighing up his future employment options, which include possibly taking charge at Parramatta.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25636315-5018866,00.html

------------------------------

I really hope this isnt true but if it is his gotta do Gaol time, seriously stealing cash from a dying man????

CRIKEY!

Frailty

First Grade
Thank God Zappia is gone...

If there is one lesson, that everyone should have known already... DO NOT RECRUIT FROM PARRAMATTA! Or if you do, as soon as there is a rumour of them going back to Parra, let them go

El Diablo

Post Whore
If there is one lesson, that everyone should have known already... DO NOT RECRUIT FROM PARRAMATTA! Or if you do, as soon as there is a rumour of them going back to Parra, let them go

so you want Gallen released?

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
It's not his go

There is an opportunity here, as I've stated before, for the Sharks to use this disaster to raise funds.

Jelly Wrestling Night at Sharkies!
Tony Zappia v Peter Peters in a nude wresting marathon.
Cronulla players will be invited to stand around the ring and "salute" in true Sharkies 2002 style.

You just need to think outside ...

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25638091-14823,00.html

Zappia - I acted appropriately

Exclusive by Josh Massoud | June 15, 2009 01:40pm

DISGRACED Cronulla CEO Tony Zappia has today denied any impropriety in connection with the Beyond Sharks Foundation, whose existence and $30,000 donation was withheld from the club's board.

Forced to resign last Thursday amid allegations of workplace misconduct against former female staffer Jenny Hall, Zappia is now embroiled in a fresh and potentially more sinister controversy involving the mysterious foundation.

The Sharks said today chairman Barry Pierce and representatives of the club's board would meet with Mr Zappia at 4.30pm tomorrow to discuss the matter.

The organization was registered with ASIC last August at the behest of a terminally ill Sharks fan known as Clint, who wished to donate his life insurance payout upon death.

The original figure payout was reported as $1.5 million, but in correspondence with Zappia last year, Clint said he was entitled to $13,800,000 upon his death.

The 27-year-old law student from Goulburn also made Zappia the executor of his will and gave the ex-Cronulla boss express authority to spend the Foundation's funds any way he saw fit to help the Sharks. Elford is dying from Shy Drager syndrome, a neurological disorder.

In February this year, the man sent six cheques four made out to the club and two to Zappia. All were valued at $5,000. Zappia passed on the two made out in his name to Cronullas coaching staff, who spent the $10,000 on a camp in Kiama. Zappia claims to have invoices of the expenses.

The remaining $20,000 is still with the Foundation's accountant, Roy Spangnolo & Associates, which oversees the fund. The companys principal, Roy Spagnolo, is also Parramatta's recently-elected chairman and long-time friend of Zappia.

Three Spagnolo employees Xavier Lo, Michelle Douglas and Belinda Goodwin are the Foundation's sole directors. Spagnolo said he had no connection with the Foundation, apart from the fact he has been Zappias personal accountant for the past 15 years.

The Daily Telegraph has today viewed documents and cheques, showing the $20,000 held by Spagnolo & Associates has not been spent.

Apart from minimal bank fees and charges, $10,000 is being held in an NAB account. The remaining $10,000 is now in an high-interest investment account set-up by Spagnolo & Associates. The Daily Telegraph has sighted up-to-date paperwork from both savings accounts, as well as the Foundations balance sheet, which shows the $20,000 is still untouched.

Concerned about misappropriation, the NRL this morning called upon Cronulla to investigate the Foundation. Zappia has already shown the paperwork to two Sharks directors, but other board members are furious they werent told.

Zappia said the benefactor wanted his contributions to remain private, explaining why the Foundation was set up without the boards knowledge and also why the two $5,000 cheques made out to Zappia were sent to his home address.

"All the money is accounted for, " Zappia said.

"At first, I thought the situation to be a little bizarre but he made a request for confidentiality and I respected that.

"It was one of those things where we didnt know where it would end up. Foremost in my mind was the request for privacy and the fact he wanted to make me executor of his estate.

"I granted his wish and had the Foundation established last August. It wasnt until February cheques were sent. $20,000 is still with the Foundation and the other $10,000 was spent by the coaching staff on our camp in Kiama and other bits and pieces."

Clint, however, said he was disappointed the board was not told. "I expected the board to know about it, and was surprised they weren't told," he said. "But as long as the money is being spent to help the Sharks - that's all I care about."

The Sharks put out a statement today which read:

"In response to enquiries relating to former Sharks CEO Tony Zappia and alleged donations collected on behalf of a reported Beyond Sharks Foundation, it has been arranged for club Chairman Barry Pierce and representatives of the Sharks Board of Directors to meet with Mr Zappia tomorrow afternoon.

"The meeting will be held at approximately 4.30pm, which is prior to a scheduled meeting of the football club board set down for 6.00pm.

Following such meetings the Sharks will fully cooperate with the NRL should they request and/or require any additional information in relation to this matter."

Rexxy

Coach
The Tony Zappia "Make a Wish for Dying Children Fund"

it's like two Chaser stories rolled in to one.

ibeme

First Grade
Clint, however, said he was disappointed the board was not told. "I expected the board to know about it, and was surprised they weren't told," he said. "But as long as the money is being spent to help the Sharks - that's all I care about."

Then that's all I care about, and that's all anyone should care about. It seems that everything was done on the level.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Then that's all I care about, and that's all anyone should care about. It seems that everything was done on the level.

its channel 7's war on League

i wonder when they'll be putting Palavi on?

i presume they ended up paying her a mint to eventually go on air and say names

Kiki

First Grade
this is all so very, very cronulla

hah i thought the same thing and then felt bad.

just when u think Zappia can't get any classier...this happens.

btw i know it's this dudes money and his right to do whatever he wants with it, but a football club is a business...wouldn't the money be better served helping people?? i dunno. the whole thing is icky and upsetting :?

Latest posts