What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ze war iss over??

thickos

First Grade
yeah i know, we won :badgrin: cool eh?
btw your avatar is wrong, there's no illawarra bit lol

Southernsaint

Staff member
Was it them or the Rams who made the final of the World Club Challenge without winning a match??

Didn't watch much Stupor League...

Cheers,
Ben S.

thickos

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
Was it them or the Rams who made the final of the World Club Challenge without winning a match??

Cheers,
Ben S.
Must have been watching Saints finish 10th in a 12 team ARL comp then :lol: That was one of the best bits of All Rupert's Leftovers!

Southernsaint

Staff member
thickos said:
Southernsaint said:

Cheers,
Ben S.
Must have been watching Saints finish 10th in a 12 team ARL comp then :lol: That was one of the best bits of All Rupert's Leftovers!

Well we couldn't disregard the salary cap to keep our stars like the Raiders have done in the past...

Cheers,
Ben S.

thickos

First Grade
=D> ahh, the last resort argument! It had to come eventually!
As has been brought up time and time again, the breaches incurred by the Raiders in the early 1990's were not due to systematic rorting of the then cap. Due to the incentive/performance based contracts in place at the time for a number of players in our team, and due to the outstanding performance of those individuals and the team, the nominal rate of their contract increased a lot more than the club expected. The 1990 premiership side was not over the cap, yes 1991 was but no more (as a percentage) than some of the 'minor' (i.e. 400k) breaches of some clubs recently and nowhere near the systematic coverup of the bulldogs of 2002.

The reason we kept our stars when the belt was tightened was because Meninga, Daley, Stuart and co. took pay cuts in 1992 to keep the nucleus of the team together. The only name we lost was Lazzo to the broncos.

As for going back to the topic, I followed Super League because that's where the Raiders went. I also watched plenty of ARL, I mean it's all footy, best thing on the damn TV! For you to not watch it is pretty childish - everyone points the finger at superleague but arko, quayle, packer and the ARL were just as guilty as News.

And no matter what competition, it's LOVELY watching the Saints stuff up - and then reading the Leader to see how their rubbish journalists justify the losses! :D :-({|=

Front-Rower

First Grade
Super League has come and gone in name, but it still exists. Super League got everything they wanted. Virtual total control of a premier 1st grade rugby league competition in Sydney, with exclusive Pay-TV rights, which they got when fox sports less superior bid out did C7 sport.

Any one who says Super League is gone is joking themselves.

Once Dead

Bench
Front-Rower said:
Super League has come and gone in name, but it still exists. Super League got everything they wanted. Virtual total control of a premier 1st grade rugby league competition in Sydney, with exclusive Pay-TV rights, which they got when fox sports less superior bid out did C7 sport.

Any one who says Super League is gone is joking themselves.

This is true mate......very true.....couldn't have put it better!

AdamH

Juniors
Stevo_G said:
Mariners i think played in world club final in 1997

Yeah they lost to Brisbane. The WCC format was sh*t. Penrith didn't lose a match but failed to make the next stage, while St Helens lost a game of two but still progressed.

hrundi99

First Grade
nospam49 said:
Its funny to see a Canberra fan gloating over Super League. It just about destroyed their club. They are still struggling.

How are they struggling exactly?

The NRL team finished 4th, we won the Premier League GF and we have the financial support of 4 separate, successful, clubs in Canberra, Queanbeyan and QLD, we have a great home ground, and a great training facility. We also have solid sponsorship deals. The new club management is very good and is treating the fans very well.

Enlighten me please.

ball boy

Bench
hrundi99 said:
nospam49 said:
Its funny to see a Canberra fan gloating over Super League. It just about destroyed their club. They are still struggling.

How are they struggling exactly?

The NRL team finished 4th, we won the Premier League GF and we have the financial support of 4 separate, successful, clubs in Canberra, Queanbeyan and QLD, we have a great home ground, and a great training facility. We also have solid sponsorship deals. The new club management is very good and is treating the fans very well.

Enlighten me please.

we also won SGball and came 4th in Jerrsy Flegg