What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zeb goneeee

Yosh

Coach
We won't miss him that much.

Best of luck Zeb and i hope you kill it in the ESL.

Bring on Bird or SBW.

RABK

Referee
if reported figures are true, then i think we're paying overs for Scott. you're right, though, he's much better than current model Zeb. far better. you don't seem to want to have a bar of the fact that Zeb is only 11 odd games into a post-broken neck career. there are reasons why he's playing the way he is. he may well never be the same again, though.

ultimately what you say is true, we're not going to miss him on the field. i'm gonna miss him, though. one of the best line runners we've ever had. my attachment is certainly sentimental on past results, i don't make any illusions about it. doesn't make me feel any better about it, though. it's always a sad day when a hero retires or moves on, even if he is over the hill.

Tallis was half the player for the rest of his career and probably lost 3 years to early retirement after his broken neck. The best thing for Zeb is earn as much cash as possible between now and retirement. Zeb to ESL is a win for both parties.

perverse

Referee
Tallis was half the player for the rest of his career and probably lost 3 years to early retirement after his broken neck. The best thing for Zeb is earn as much cash as possible between now and retirement. Zeb to ESL is a win for both parties.
it's a difficult truth for me, but yeah it's true.

i suppose the real sour taste in my mouth is left because we're scrambling to keep Eddy at the same time. it's purely an age/injury thing in this case for sure, Eddy is a young up and comer, Zeb may never get any better. I'd still take current Zeb over Eddy, even as a bench/depth spot. Eddy offers f**k all.

even current model Zeb will give the ESL a good shake, though. he should be an out and out star over there if he can get settled. he's definitely worth far more coin in that market than the NRL. hopefully he signs up for Bradford... i'll adopt them as my ESL team for some Zeb and Keith love. i bet there's a decent chance Catalans will table an offer, too. Robinson would be well aware of Zebs attributes.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
Oh i'd take Zeb with whatever he would have produced 1 week after surgery in 2011 over Eddy.

I simply do not rate Eddy. I am consistent with that ever since he first made 1st grade. He offers nothing and losing 5kgs in the off season has made him a ragdoll.

perverse

Referee
i liked his hits when he first got into grade, but like you I identified very, very early that he offers f**k all with the ball. that hasn't changed one bit... it's just not enough in modern rugby league to not offer something on both sides of the ball, imo. you can be weaker in one area than the other, but you need to be at least competent on both unless you're an absolute phenom at one of them.

i'm still not about to argue with Bennett, though. there were always going to be tests of faith, so to speak. i suppose this is one of them.

Yosh

Coach
I wonder what Bennett sees that we don't... Perhaps Eddy is a really good trainer? Perhaps Wayne thinks he can mold him into a role player that every team needs? Honestly though, he can be groomed in the reserves though...

RABK

Referee
For me personally perverse - it's been nothing but tests of faith with Bennett ever since he first arrived here. I can't agree with a lot of what he is doing in regards to team selection and he simply has not got the team he is loyal to firing after 10 weeks and a whole pre season. No if's or but's - that's a fact.

Mullen to 5/8 is the only real positive change i see thus far and that's something us arm chair experts have been calling for 5 years.

It's a complete myth that our defence has improved thus year - we've simply had teams blow far more tries against us then in 2011. But in every key defensive statistic eg missed tackles, metres conceeded etc - we've gone backwards.

Have i got my pitchfork out for Bennett? No. But he has a shitload of work to do and a roster that needs vast improvement in personnel and attitude.

perverse

Referee
For me personally perverse - it's been nothing but tests of faith with Bennett ever since he first arrived here. I can't agree with a lot of what he is doing in regards to team selection and he simply has not got the team he is loyal to firing after 10 weeks and a whole pre season. No if's or but's - that's a fact.

Mullen to 5/8 is the only real positive change i see thus far and that's something us arm chair experts have been calling for 5 years.

It's a complete myth that our defence has improved thus year - we've simply had teams blow far more tries against us then in 2011. But in every key defensive statistic eg missed tackles, metres conceeded etc - we've gone backwards.

Have i got my pitchfork out for Bennett? No. But he has a shitload of work to do and a roster that needs vast improvement in personnel and attitude.
i agree with you on everything except the defence - and not so much because i think our defence is fantastic, it isn't - but there is a definite attitude shift in the playing group and it's prevalent in our goal-line defence. their attitude is correct. execution is quite poor, particularly in the middle of the field. in the middle our defence is getting carved up, but we are giving zero cheap points away this year, regardless of how many tackles we need to make on our own line. there's a sense of fortitude that hasn't been there in a long time. there is a stat that shows that, too... it's our points conceded. given how bad our other defensive stats look, it's remarkable we've had so few points scored against us this year. it's encouraging to me that their attitude is still good. our scramble on our goal-line is fantastic and blokes are showing up for each other time after time. we shouldn't be in those positions in the first place, and we're letting them get up our end just way, way too easy (and a part of that is certainly poor defence), but credit where it is due... we're not giving away many soft tries.

after checking the ladder, we've conceded the 4th least points in the NRL. that's a pretty decent sign for a team that, as you said, is struggling to defend well. that's just pure attitude and determination. i'm not sure i remember a time where a Knights team has displayed such mental fortitude. you'd have to wind back to '97 or something.

it doesn't mean a lot when you're failing in so many other areas... but it's something we can build on. it's an important attribute to have, and one that doesn't come easy.

i think a lot of Stone haters have to start giving credit where it was due, too. he got a lot more out of a roster that looked a lot less. i've had to defend the poor bloke tooth and nail around here, but the way this year is going really only reaffirms what i already believe regarding Stone - that's he's good. he was able to polish an absolute turd up quite a bit.

Last edited:
Zeb will be a loss. The guy has shown some great determination. Edwards needs to go. To have Edwards over Zeb is a crime.

rnb11

Juniors
8. Kade Snowden
9. Danny Buderus
10. Sam Kasiano
11. Greg Bird
12. Beau Scott
13. Chris Houston

14. James Segeyaro
15. Russell Packer
16. Willie Mason
17. Korbin Sims

Fine with me :)

Geohood

Bench
My heart stopped for a second I thought he was injured and another trade needed for my fantasy teams!

perverse

Referee
8. Kade Snowden
9. Danny Buderus
10. Sam Kasiano
11. Greg Bird
12. Beau Scott
13. Chris Houston

14. James Segeyaro
15. Russell Packer
16. Willie Mason
17. Korbin Sims

you left out SBW. :lol:

pretty sure Kasiano already inked with the Dogs about a week ago, too.

RABK

Referee
8. Kade Snowden
9. Danny Buderus
10. Sam Kasiano
11. Greg Bird
12. Beau Scott
13. Chris Houston

14. James Segeyaro
15. Russell Packer
16. Willie Mason
17. Korbin Sims

8. Kade Snowden
9. Danny Buderus
10. Justin Poore
11. Beau Scott
12. Greg Bird
13. Chris Houston

14. Albert Kelly
15. Neville Costigan
16. Willie Mason
17. Dane Laurie

Is much more likely IMO. Kelly and Laurie were unreal in NSW cup - they'll be impossible to ignore if they keep up that form.

Spot On

Coach
8. Kade Snowden
9. Danny Buderus
10. Sam Kasiano
11. Greg Bird
12. Beau Scott
13. Chris Houston

14. James Segeyaro
15. Russell Packer
16. Willie Mason
17. Korbin Sims

Surely the Dogs will never, ever, ever let him go. We missed the boat with him. Will be one of the greats.

rnb11

Juniors
Dont wanna turn this into a Kasiano thread but he hasnt re-signed with the Dogs yet that I know of, last I heard was we reopened negotiations with him after missing out on JWH...? Theres some quality forwards on the market still, hopefully we can nab a few of them.

RABK

Referee
I hadn't heard we were back in negotiatons with him. I'll get onto a couple of my sources and find out any news.

Latest posts