What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zelic wants back in

Ron Burgundy

Juniors
I read the article and thought if he wants to be a central player but doesnt need to be in the starting 11 then what does he want? A central player would be a starter because that is the point of being a central player, name any player that is the centre of a team that isnt a starter, there isnt one!

I would like him to be there but i think that he has to rethink his potential role in the national team.

perth sharkie

Juniors
I saw him play for Newcastle against Perth Glory in the A-League Cup three weeks ago. Looked very average and did not stand out at all, despite being a "marquee" player. Was more known for his constant whining to the referee than for this football. Zelic is a long, long way from being in the starting XI of Australia.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
We'll see how he goes tonight, and after a couple of full games under his belt.

If he is half the player he was, he could be very useful for us.

However his attitude is pretty poor. The guy comes across as a very self-centered w@nker.

A match fit and committed Zelic could be very beneficial for us. But if it will cause divisions within the squad maybe best to leave as is.

Ron Burgundy

Juniors
perth sharkie said:
I saw him play for Newcastle against Perth Glory in the A-League Cup three weeks ago. Looked very average and did not stand out at all, despite being a "marquee" player. Was more known for his constant whining to the referee than for this football. Zelic is a long, long way from being in the starting XI of Australia.
That was in pre-season though give it a few weeks and then make up your mind about how he plays.

If he gets back in it should be on form. But I don't like his talk about needing to have discussions and work out terms etc. Supposed to be an honour to rep for your country, if you don't want to bleed green and gold then you aren't hungry enough. I simply don't think Zelic is hungry enough, if it's a take it or leave it proposition for him.

Foz

Bench
I havent seen Zelic play a game for years.
He had a blinder in a world cup qualifier one day when he scored one of those goals from an improbable angle but I was never a great fan of his.
I dont know why they would pick him to be honest.
Where would they play him and who's spot would he be likely to take?
Weren't they playing him out of position for a while?
You hear his name mentioned from time to time but is this by the Australian selectors or Zelic's management.
I may be way off but I can pass on his selection.

Ron Burgundy

Juniors
Foz said:
I havent seen Zelic play a game for years.
He had a blinder in a world cup qualifier one day when he scored one of those goals from an improbable angle but I was never a great fan of his.
I dont know why they would pick him to be honest.
Where would they play him and who's spot would he be likely to take?
Weren't they playing him out of position for a while?
You hear his name mentioned from time to time but is this by the Australian selectors or Zelic's management.
I may be way off but I can pass on his selection.

It was an Olympic Games qualifier when we beat one of the best teams in the world at the time to go to the games. He scored that goal in Holland.

No one thought that we could beat Holland but to many peoples surprise they did, I think that that was one of the best Zelic highlights.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Out of curiosity (and I'm aware this is a little off topic) - if Newcastle or Sydney felt like signing say Viduka (it could happen, heh) as a marquee player would they need to release their current marquee player? Or simply factor their salary into the cap and 'relocate'' their marquee status?

Ron Burgundy

Juniors
chriswalkerbush said:
Out of curiosity (and I'm aware this is a little off topic) - if Newcastle or Sydney felt like signing say Viduka (it could happen, heh) as a marquee player would they need to release their current marquee player? Or simply factor their salary into the cap and 'relocate'' their marquee status?

It wouldnt happen now because they both wouldnt be able to fit him under the cap. They wouldnt be able to fit there current marquee players under there cap and under contract law they cant fire them unless they breach the contract.

If next year the Jets or Sydney have enough room under there cap to change there nominated marquee player then they can do that and sign another play to be there marquee player.

I dont know whether you recall but Ante Milicic was going to be the marquee player for the Jets but they could fit him under the salary cap with out the use of nominating him as the marquee player so then Newcastle was able to get Zelic.

If after all that you understand it all then your doing well. No Australian team would have the money to sign Viduka unless he signed really cheaply (i dont even think that that is a word but anyway).

But to answer your question in one word, yes it is possible to change marquee players but they would have to rearrange the cap as to fit the current player into the normal cap.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:

It could happen theoretically but would not happen realistically. As he is contracted to Middlesborough, a transfer fee would have to be negotiated. In the extremely unlikely event that Middlesborough would entertain the thought of selling him. A fee of at least 6 million pounds (A$14m) would have to be paid by the A-League club.

Viduka would also have to agree to the move which would never happen as he would not consider leaving one of the Worlds premier competitions to play in the A-League. Additionally he is currently paid over $100k a week, a salary an A-League club would have to match again if he did agree to move.

Back to the topic at hand, they would have to release their marquee player, as if the original 'marquee' player relinquished their 'marquee' status, no doubt the team would exceed their A$1.5m salary cap.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ok - another quick question. Is the salary cap likely to change in time pending the success of the new format? I'd love to see a greater influx of foreign players in the competition. Was reading a stat somewhere that there's only one South American and no Africans in the entire league.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It could happen theoretically but would not happen realistically. As he is contracted to Middlesborough, a transfer fee would have to be negotiated. In the extremely unlikely event that Middlesborough would entertain the thought of selling him. A fee of at least 6 million pounds (A$14m) would have to be paid by the A-League club.

Viduka would also have to agree to the move which would never happen as he would not consider leaving one of the Worlds premier competitions to play in the A-League. Additionally he is currently paid over $100k a week, a salary an A-League club would have to match again if he did agree to move.

Dukes was just an example guys. I'm well aware he won't be playing downunder anytime soon, heh.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Cockadoodledoo said:

Back to the topic at hand, they would have to release their marquee player, as if the original 'marquee' player relinquished their 'marquee' status, no doubt the team would exceed their A$1.5m salary cap.

Except if that 'marquee' player was Ante Milicic lol

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:
Ok - another quick question. Is the salary cap likely to change in time pending the success of the new format? I'd love to see a greater influx of foreign players in the competition. Was reading a stat somewhere that there's only one South American and no Africans in the entire league.

I would imagine it would, once the league believed the clubs could sustain the increased expenditure required.

Ron Burgundy

Juniors
The league said that it would expend the cap if the venture was successful so it should increase as the league becomes more successful and more people watch.

Latest posts