What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zim XI v Australia A at Harare Jul 18-20, 2013

TheParraboy

Staff member
Starts the same day as the 2nd test only a couple of hours earlier, but its only a 3 days game???

Question: If Warner is playing here and fails, does he get picked For Australia in the 3rd test if our top order batting keep failing? (in particular Cowan)

The Big Show on show as well

Australian Squad:

AJ Finch (captain)
AJ Doolan
NM Coulter-Nile
Faad Ahmed
JR Hazlewood
Mc Henriques
Nj Maddinson
MR Marsh
SE Marsh
GJ Maxwell
TD Paine ( wk)
GS Sandhu
Cj Sayers
DA Warner

BunniesMan

Immortal
Especially if he fails Khawaja must be considered the better option.

Khawaja is a real batsman. Warner is what would happen if Brad Haddin and a monkey made a baby.

BunniesMan

Immortal
His 100 in Hobart showed he's more then that
The one time Warner tried putting his ego away and batting properly and it was great. But there has been very little of that before then or since.

Khawaja deserves to be ahead of him as next batsman picked.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
why are we still persevering with no show ?

how many times does this guy need to fail before we realise he is shit

Red Bear

Referee
The one time Warner tried putting his ego away and batting properly and it was great. But there has been very little of that before then or since.

Khawaja deserves to be ahead of him as next batsman picked.
Warner has scored another couple of centuries and several fifties since. In fact he's scored alot more runs than Hughes, Watson and others over the time he's been in the side. And grabbed his chance, unlike Khawaja.

I think in a side that only has Clarke as a consistent contributor Warner, who has been our second best test batsmen in the last couple of years of players currently available for selection, at least deserves to be considered should he show some form in this match.

VictoryFC

Bench
This talk about batting down the order makes more sense. People keep saying Warner should play his natural game, but his natural game is simply not conducive to opening Test matches. Watson is attacking, but Watson can defend better than Warner. Warner gets stuck at the crease on his backfoot nicking it to slips too often.

If he settles early hes always a chance of a big score though. But I think experimenting at 5 or 6 makes sense for a Test or two. Hes too damaging to leave out completely.

Timbo

Staff member
I have to laugh at that Zimbabwe side:

Sikandar Raza, V Sibanda, H Masakadza, BRM Taylor*†, MN Waller, T Maruma, E Chigumbura, N Mushangwe, TL Chatara, KM Jarvis, MT Chinouya

I do love any side Zimbabwe fields at FC level called a 'Chairmans XI', 'Select XI' or 'Zimbabwe A' because it's usually just the Zimbabwe test XI trying to get some match practice in because the ICC is too spineless to make full members actually play them!

Anyway, Maddinson is already out caught Taylor bowled Jarvis. Because they aren't regular test players or anything!

Timbo

Staff member
Oh, Pat Cummins is playing in his first first class match since November 2011, which coincidently was the test match in which he was man of the match.

Timbo

Staff member
Warner out for 6 of 9 balls. Caught Taylor, bowled Jarvis.

Shall we rush him in for the third test then?

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think dumping Cowan for Khawaja was the sign that Warner wasn't part of our short term plans. Letting Cowan potentially fail in this test would have been the way to get Warner in the 3rd test.

But Khawaja is now the incumbent, he will be given more than 1 test.

Unless there are injuries I can't see him playing anytime soon, especially with his failure again here.

I'm more interested in seeing how Cummins goes. World class talent. If he can stay fit and get back to taking wickets I dream of a future where our test opening bowlers are the two best quicks in the world.

Getting Cummins and Pattinson on the field at the same time is a big key to our future success.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
I can't believe this is Cummins first FC game since the end of 2011. It's his first game of cricket at all since the champions league almost a year ago!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well looks like they're doing their best to imitate the top order they want to get into. Fair enough.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I bet his playing with all the toys today..

Big ton & a michelle coming up from this strapping young talent..

Timbo

Staff member
All out for 226 against Zimbabwe A. And Thebigshowxfactor was the only one who got runs apart from Moises.

The depth of Australian cricket. lol.

Timbo

Staff member
Cummins has 2/6 in his comeback FC game, including Sibanda and Mazakadza.

We have them 5/85 odd.

Latest posts