What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zimbabwe Flowerless for tour

Can Zimbabwe win a test in the 3-Test series

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor

Bench
ZIMBABWE FLOWERLESS
18-9-2003
By Sam Collyer

For the first time in 15 years Zimbabwe will field a test side without the name 'Flower' on its team list.

The news comes about after experienced batsman Grant Flower was ruled out of next month's tour of Australia with a broken thumb.

Flower, who is Zimbabwe's most experienced player with 65 tests and 209 one day internationals to his name, will aim to be fit for November's tour by the West Indies after having a wire inserted into his thumb.

The loss of Flower only compounds Zimbabwe's player-shortage, after the retirement of Flower's older brother Andy, and fast bowler Henry Olonga earlier this season.

The pair retired after the World Cup, held in Africa, because of personal safety concerns due to their well-publicised stance on political issues in their country.

The Zimbabwean side now travels to Australia with potentially only two test centurions in their ranks.

Batsmen Craig Wishart and Trevor Gripper were left out of a recent tour of England, but will more than likely be named in the squad.

The pair's only centuries were against lowly ranked Bangladesh, who were recently thrashed by Australia by an innings in both tests.

Respected judges believe Australia will match their performance against Bangladesh earlier this year in beating the Zimbabweans comfortably.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
It was a great loss to cricket world wide when Andy Flower retired, a great leader and one of the best wicket keeper batsmen to ever play the game.

Grant will also be a huge loss not only for expereince but he is an all rounder who does not just take wickets but also makes a lot of runs as well.

Zimbabwe we surley struggle to make Asutralia bat a 2nd innings per test match.

tigermite

Juniors
Firstly, it is only a two test series between Australia and Zimbabwe, with them being played in Perth and Sydney. And then Australia play India in a four test series after they come back from playing a tournament in India.

But to answer your question, I don't think that Zimbabwe will offer much resistance to the Australians, especially on a fast and bouncy WACA pitch.

Doctor

Bench
Well, provided he is still playing, Heath Streak remains their number one bowler. Yet even Streak's bowling capabilities aren't that crash hot. He isn't quite a 'streak' when bowling - he clocks only about 125km/h, and without Olonga their stocks are down.

The sad fact is that it is probably their bowling, now that they've lost a few experienced batsmen, that is their greatest asset.

I just don't think you beat a side like Australia without someone experienced and capable at the helm. Andy Flower offered a lot of experience, and a whole lot of runs, combined with the ability to produce a century when required.

Zimbabwe will struggle big-time in my opinion.

Doctor

Bench
tigermite said:
Firstly, it is only a two test series between Australia and Zimbabwe, with them being played in Perth and Sydney

Yes, but believe it or not it is still a 3-Test series.
My reference was not to the amount of matches played, but the major sponsor that, unless it's been changed, is supporting the two test series to be called (just like the Bangladesh series) the '3-Test series'.

It is good that you noticed though Tigermite - always on the ball. :D

tigermite

Juniors
Original_Chook said:
tigermite said:
Firstly, it is only a two test series between Australia and Zimbabwe, with them being played in Perth and Sydney

Yes, but believe it or not it is still a 3-Test series.
My reference was not to the amount of matches played, but the major sponsor that, unless it's been changed, is supporting the two test series to be called (just like the Bangladesh series) the '3-Test series'.

It is good that you noticed though Tigermite - always on the ball. :D
Fair enough :oops: But they sure know how to confuse us...

Doctor

Bench
Yeah it got me confused during the Bangladesh series - two matches but they kept calling it the '3-test series' - it actually made for very good advertisements for 3.com.au - the commentators had to keep reminding viewers of the actual reason for the name, and a couple of times showed the sponsorship painted on the grass just to visualise what they were saying.

I'm not even sure what the business does - their address is something like 3.com.au or something similar.

Doctor

Bench
This isn't an ad for them, but the site is actually three.com.au and their business seems to be about communication/technology:

The site says their business is about "Mobile video, information, communication and entertainment" - hadn't heard of them until the cricket series.