What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zoe Marshall on NRL school program 123 Rugby League

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...123-rugby-league/story-fni0cx12-1226690638198

Zoe Marshall on NRL school program 123 Rugby League

Zoe Marshall
The Sunday Telegraph
August 03, 2013 2:40PM

This may sound surprising but I still don't know some of the very basic rules of rugby league.

It's so much harder learning all the intricacies of the game once you're older, let alone thinking I could try to play as an adult.

I feel as though I have missed the boat and I, for one, would have loved to learn these skills in primary school.

And now a new NRL program is doing just that.

123 Rugby League is teaching children the rules of footy and could produce the next superstars of the game.

Specifically aimed at four to seven-year-olds, many primary schools and childcare centres are adopting the program, which includes a super cute picture book featuring two farm dogs, Bluey and Red, and practical activities. The goal is to engage children by using storytelling to appeal to their imaginations, along with enhancing their reading, listening and comprehension skills. At the same time, they are taught very basic skills of rugby league (try scoring, playing the ball, evasion).

Teachers are also reporting that girls are equally enjoying the new program.

The 123 Rugby League program contains a story made up of three chapters, with each chapter containing seven different activities.

NRL development officers take the children through the book over three consecutive weeks. The officers play the role of the farmer, while the children become the characters in the story.

By week three, the children play a game on a rectangular field, still as characters in the story, while also performing NRL skills (try scoring, playing the ball, dodging, sidestepping, basic pass and catch).

At the end of the course, children receive a certificate congratulating them on completing the program, and the school receives an A3-sized "Big Book" plus eight smaller booklets to use in the classroom as part of the school's reading program. Rebecca Parsons is a school teacher at Peakhurst Public School, in southern Sydney. She shared her thoughts on the program.

"Using the story book approach, the NRL development officers immediately had the attention of the students," Ms Parsons told The Sunday Telegraph.

"Children love stories so they were very attentive from the outset. Then they related to the animals and the characters in the story. It was a particularly successful way to ensure the girls were not intimidated by the rugby league content. If an activity is fun for the children they will learn quickly. 123 Rugby League allowed for this enjoyment and the children quickly understood the basics of the game."

Trials of the new program were conducted by NRL development staff in Queensland schools in 2011, before it was rolled out across the country.

To the NRL's knowledge, no other sport has a national program for children within this age group.

So as well as teaching the basics of rugby league, they are also learning fabulous basic motor skills and becoming familiar with one of the greatest sports there is.

This program now has 22,000 participants nationally in 2013.

If anyone would like more information, please contact playrugbyleague.com.au

cleary89

Coach
Can't find it on the website, if anyone wants to link me to it I'll let you know how it goes on my year 2 class.

Currently have netball nsw come out once a week, god they are shit. Waste of time.

innsaneink

Referee
dumb4.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds a great programme for that young age group. Be interesting to know how many schools in WA have taken it up?

If anyone can find a link to more info can they please post it and I will make sure the WA RL community know about it and start suggesting it to their schools!

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
Seems a good program. Interesting to see how it goes.

I wonder why she is reporting it though. Trying to ease the pain for Benji.

Mr Saab

Referee
Maybe she can get Benji to attend some of these classes.

Scenario.....Your team leads by 4 in a semi final vs the Warriors. It is the 5th tackle and you are on your own 40m line with less than 5 mins to go. What should you do?

A) Run the ball
B) Kick to the corners
C) Put a bomb up
D) Chip and Chase

Benji answered A

The Rosco

Bench
Scenario.....Your team leads by 4 in a semi final vs the Warriors. It is the 5th tackle and you are on your own 40m line with less than 5 mins to go. What should you do?

A) Run the ball
B) Kick to the corners
C) Put a bomb up
D) Chip and Chase

Benji answered A

To be fair, option A should have had a further 2 sub-options:
A(1) . . Run the ball towards opposition tryline
A(2) . . Run the ball in a concentric circular fashion.