What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zorba's view, It's been a long way to the top for Glenn

gong_eagle

First Grade
Zorba's view
It's been a long way to the top for Glenn

Zorba
11Aug07
JUST 12 months ago the then Roosters coach Ricky Stuart called prop Glenn Hall aside and told him in no uncertain terms he wasn't an NRL player.

Last night, the 26-year-old tearaway played his 21st game of the season with the high flying Sea Eagles to prove that even the so-called experts get it wrong.
Hall has been in great form of late and has made the most of his opportunity at Brookvale.
What a difference a year can make in the tough world of the NRL. In August of last season, Hall was playing before family and friends at Henson Park in Newtown.
Hall was in good company back then with his Roosters Premier League teammates who have become the high flyers of the current premiership - Jamie Soward, Josh Lewis, Heath L'Estrange, Micky Paea, Setimata Sa and Mitch Aubusson. All are blossoming under Brad Fittler after being on the outer last season.
The big front rower isn't dirty on his old coach or former club.
``The treatment I got probably stirred me into action,'' Hall said.
``It was now or never for me when I joined Manly and if I didn't make it this season I probably wouldn't ever make it.''
Hall made his debut for the Bulldogs back in 2002, went to Souths and then the Roosters before finding himself at Brookvale.
Until he finally put on a maroon and white jersey he had played just 29 games in five seasons.
Most good judges reckon a prop doesn't mature until he is around 25 or 26 so. On that score Manly can thank the Dogs, Rabbitohs and Roosters for skilling up the prop and getting him ready for his best season ever.
The reward has been a spot in Manly's top 17 and a new two-year contract. SOME coincidences in rugby league never cease to amaze me.
Former Wests, Balmain, NSW and Australian fullback Garry Jack is a product of the Western Suburbs Red Devils in Wollongong - the same club which produced Manly legend Bobby Fulton, Tigers prop Steve Roach and Manly's current star fullback Brett Stewart.
At 13 years of age Brett Stewart was diagnosed with diabetes - a condition he has learned to live with and still achieve the lofty heights he continues to achieve every week in a glittering career.
Stewy has become a role model for thousands of youngsters with the problem. Each week he gets emails and letters from parents hoping he can give some encouragement for their children.
He got one such call this week from none other than Garry Jack whose 13-year-old son has been diagnosed with type-2 diabetes.
``It's tough for a kid to have to have four injections a day after leading a perfectly normal life up until this point. Brett Stewart is living proof that kids can cope with the problem and still achieve,`` Jack said.
Stewart was only too pleased to help out an old Red Devil in need.

THE Sea Eagles are fast becoming the hottest ticket in the NRL when it comes to crowds.
Two weeks ago, a capacity crowd of more than 20,000 fans packed Parramatta Stadium for the blockbuster against the Eels.
Last Sunday, more than 35,000 turned out at Suncorp Stadium for the match against the Broncos.
And last night a healthy crowd packed Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford for the match against the Newcastle Knights.
Manly players are delighted with the support from fans.
Skipper Matt Orford said the side was stunned by the support in Brisbane.
``There were thousands of fans in maroon and white and they made a real noise throughout the match,'' Orford said.
``In every game this season we have had tremendous support and I am sure it will continue in the games ahead.''
The Manly players will thank their fans after the final round game against St George-Illawarra on Sunday, September 2 with a function at Manly Leagues Club after the match.

Latest posts