What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zorba's Zone: Rabbitohs Dreaming

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-opinion-display/zorbas-zone-rabbitohs-dreaming-190424

1/8/2012 1:16 PM
Peter Peters
Sportal

It's a scary thought, I know, but I found myself whistling Glory, Glory to South Sydney while showering this morning.

I just haven't been able to get that tune out of my head as the Rabbitohs rocket up the NRL ladder on the back of five straight wins.

I've been caught up in all the hype and love the way the red and greens are going about their footy.

But sorry Souths fans - and there are thousands of you out there ready to rip into me - I am predicting a heavy strain of myxomatosis to strike your beloved Bunnies deep into September.

I just don't think Souths have enough finals experience to go all the way and win their first premiership since 1971.

Remember, this is a club that has made the play-offs just once since 1989.

The majority of their roster has not tasted finals football.

Yes, you are going to tell me Greg Inglis, Dave Taylor, Matt King and Mick Crocker have played Origin and Test football.

And Sam Burgess and Issac Luke have also represented their respective countries.

But finals football brings its own pressure.

You've got to learn how to win at the business end of the season and that often means an apprenticeship of a couple of years.

Not too many clubs can come in off a massive finals drought and aim up straight away.

I look for clubs who have been there, done that in the big games.

Souths are capable of making a goose of me but I just have this nagging question mark over how they will handle the play-offs.

But wherever they finish, I dip my lid to coach Michael Maguire.

Initially, I had my doubts whether a rookie NRL coach was the right fit for the Rabbits.

But Madge has won me over.

I like the way he goes about his work in a low-key manner.

He has Souths playing a simple but terrific brand of football.

They are up for every single game and that's not something we've been able to say about South Sydney for a long, long time.

If Des Hasler wasn't doing such a good job at Canterbury, Maguire would be a dead cert for coach of the year.

Now it's time for me to get back on the tightrope and attempt to pick eight winners from round 22.

So here they are: Dragons, Storm, Knights, Sea Eagles, Warriors, Broncos, Titans, Eels.

Until next week...

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-opinion-display/zorbas-zone-rabbitohs-dreaming-190424

Michael Crocker - Grand finals with Easts and Melbourne, SoO experience.
Roy Asotasi - won a comp with Bulldogs.
Greg Inglis - 4 straight grand finals, SoO and Australia experience.
Sam Burgess - England and Bradford finals experience.
Dave Taylor - Brisbane Broncos finals experience and SoO.
Luke Burgess - Leeds Rhinos finals and comp wins.
Matt King - 2 Grand Finals with Melbourne, NSW SoO experience.

Merritt, McQueen, Farrell, Sutton, Luke, Geddes, Everingham, Reynolds, Clark - granted no or 1 game finals experience. But Reynolds did play the U20s Toyota Cup Grand Final 2 years ago along with Nathan Peats.

As good as any I would reckon. Not getting ahead of myself.

Consider what the barnstorming Bulldogs have, and they're running first and we beat them once, and lost by a toe in touch the 2nd time around.

Michael Crocker - Grand finals with Easts and Melbourne, SoO experience.
Roy Asotasi - won a comp with Bulldogs.
Greg Inglis - 4 straight grand finals, SoO and Australia experience.
Sam Burgess - England and Bradford finals experience.
Dave Taylor - Brisbane Broncos finals experience and SoO.
Luke Burgess - Leeds Rhinos finals and comp wins.
Matt King - 2 Grand Finals with Melbourne, NSW SoO experience.

Merritt, McQueen, Farrell, Sutton, Luke, Geddes, Everingham, Reynolds, Clark - granted no or 1 game finals experience. But Reynolds did play the U20s Toyota Cup Grand Final 2 years ago along with Nathan Peats.

As good as any I would reckon. Not getting ahead of myself.

Consider what the barnstorming Bulldogs have, and they're running first and we beat them once, and lost by a toe in touch the 2nd time around.

MH,was Peats the captain in that team?

Correct.

Jason Clark captained under 20's too.

The mix of young & raw, experienced first graders and rep/finals experience is as good as any, I believe.

We'll just have to wait and see. Still 5 weeks to go. Amazing how many of these BS "Souths to make GF" articles are already out...

Correct.

Jason Clark captained under 20's too.

The mix of young & raw, experienced first graders and rep/finals experience is as good as any, I believe.

We'll just have to wait and see. Still 5 weeks to go. Amazing how many of these BS "Souths to make GF" articles are already out...[/QUOTES

Hopefully the players are not reading them.

Latest posts