What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parra

Referee
I would honestly prefer what she did in the book if
her justification for condemning Tyrion to death is being a bitter ex. Considering they have tried to paint her and Tyrion as an honest, loving couple rather than a smitten dwarf and a sarcastic, greedy whore any resolution they have is going to be forced.

I have no idea why they paint her in such a good light in the TV series.

Could make it harder to understand why she dumps so hard on Tyrion at his trial. Unless they have something else in mind.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Spoiler's Re: Shae

They really dropped the ball with her.

If they just stuck to the books, it would have been fine. But in their attempts to create a loving relationship they have done 2 things:
-made her annoying as f**k
-made her testimony at the trial confusing

I see what they were trying to do. Making the trial, & her murder at Tyrion's hands (assuming that's how it happens) more shocking. But it was done poorly IMO.

One good thing about their change however, is without it we wouldn't have gotten that emotional scene with them after he gets f**ked over after Blackwater. Now know what's gonna happen, it makes that scene even sadder.
[/QUOTE]

Wato

Juniors
I think Shae is with tywin in the show already. Her and Bronn betrayed Tyrion in the last episode. The look tywin has on his face when he instructs Shae to be brought to his chamber. We know both Bronn and Shae betray Tyrion so why not do it earlier reveal it to the viewer so they learn to dislike the characters.

Shorty

Staff member
Do you want answers to those?

Hint: parts of the act were seen in the episode, but hidden very well.

Looks like more 'super badass' conquering.

I've always hated Cersei much more than Joffrey. She is given some more 'sympathetic' scenes in the show but she's f**ked in either version. She also loses some of her more despicable acts (like ordering the death of Robert's bastards) to Joffrey in the show.

Springs, you truly are a man after my own heart.

As I've said, Cersei is my most hated character. And it really bugs me that in the show, they've tried to make her more sympathetic to the audience. And it detracts from what a cruel, deluded, egotistical, sociopath that she is.

And Daenerys is a merkin.

People don't like her because:
- She's arrogant and smug
- She's stupid as hell
- She's whiny and over-dramatic (see second half of season 2)
- She's a teenage girl (13-14) in the book so in the show she seems like a woman in her mid-20s acting like a 13 year old.
- Book 5
I'm sure in the same breath, certain other male characters that do despicable acts are condoned because they're relatable:roll:
I mean, Jaime pushed a child to his possible death while banging his sister but oh he's funny!
I certainly do look forward to a certain act and watch for the number of justifications from the fans.
Cersei is a fantastic character, don't have to like her, but one of the best characters I've read and seen in a long time.
Dany, yeah I don't understand the hate really.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't think they've done a bad job at all with Shae. They've made her a character rather than just a whore, and the way Tyrion had to 'break up' with her gives her plenty of vindictive, heart-broken reason to betray him

And Shorty labelling anybody who dislikes Dany as a misogynist is pure ad hominem. Almost every other female character on the show is universally liked, but disliking one poorly written and acted character makes us all misogynsts? Please.

Shorty

Staff member
And Shorty labelling anybody who dislikes Dany as a misogynist is pure ad hominem. Almost every other female character on the show is universally liked, but disliking one poorly written and acted character makes us all misogynsts? Please.
Which of the other female characters that have such a strong presence?
Next you'll be using Mary Sue Sansa as an example of being liked:lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
You mean aside from Cersei? Several people in this thread have said they like her character.

Arya is almost universally loved, and Brienne, while I smaller character, has a strong following as well.

Most male and female fans love Olenna Redwyne too.

Simply put, the characters that are strong without being whiny and petulant, tend to be well liked. Dany is a strong woman, but she manages to do it with all the grace of Joffrey at his wedding feast most of the time.

It doesn't help that she's forced down everybody's throats and Emilia Clarke can't really act.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Which of the other female characters that have such a strong presence?
Next you'll be using Mary Sue Sansa as an example of being liked:lol:

so you don't like Sansa? how does that make you any different to those that don't like Dany?

Dany is a boring and annoying character. absolutely nothing to do with sex.

I don't like Reek, Stannis or Loras. do I hate men and not know it?

Misanthrope

Staff member
How the hell can anybody not love Stannis?

139441680327.jpg

Shorty

Staff member
You mean aside from Cersei? Several people in this thread have said they like her character.

Arya is almost universally loved, and Brienne, while I smaller character, has a strong following as well.

Most male and female fans love Olenna Redwyne too.

Simply put, the characters that are strong without being whiny and petulant, tend to be well liked. Dany is a strong woman, but she manages to do it with all the grace of Joffrey at his wedding feast most of the time.

It doesn't help that she's forced down everybody's throats and Emilia Clarke can't really act.
Those characters do not have the position of power that Dany does.
Arya is a child.
Dany's supposed to be whiny because she's like...what...14? She's pretty much a teenager trying to make the right choices like...Robb Stark? Jon Snow?
I don't think she's anything like Joffery she's more like Robb Stark, she's made stupid choices while trying to do the right thing and is also swayed by hormones.
I do agree she's poorly written though.

so you don't like Sansa? how does that make you any different to those that don't like Dany?

Dany is a boring and annoying character. absolutely nothing to do with sex.

I don't like Reek, Stannis or Loras. do I hate men and not know it?
lol really?
Sansa is about as submissive as you can get.
You are consistent though because you dislike Stannis as well.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Bear in mind, I wasn't one of the ones death-riding Cersei. In fact, of the people you quoted, two of them were criticising Cersei...

Only Springs' second quote refers to Dany, and it's accurate. She's an infuriatingly dull character in the books and not nearly the 'good leader' she believes she is, nor her legion of idiot fans seem to think she will be.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for proving the example of my argument perfectly.

I like Stannis because for all the talk of him never bending he considers advice from people he trusts. Cersei especially in the books constantly gets done by her own hubris.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Apparently I'm a misogynist because Cersei is my most hated character. :lol:
I read this comment first then checked the previous page. Seriously, wtf?!!

Cersei has absolutely no redeeming qualities. Nothing to do with misogyny.

The comparison with Jamie is ridiculous because his character underwent the best arc and transformation of any in Season 3 IMO.

He's still ruthless; but we learnt a lot about his past. The choice he made which led to him being known as the King Slayer. His friendship with Breanne. He's certainly my favourite character.

Despite this, I still think Cersei is a brilliantly written character. She's one of many strong women in the show other than Dany - Arya, Cersei, Lady Olenna who is brilliant, Yara, Ygritte to a degree.

For every whore, there's a woman of great strength. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.