What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The curious case of Michael Witt

st.phil

Bench
Was shocked that he was picked round one...aside from a couple chip and chases I have not seen anything this year to see why he has been given the no.7 jersey. Williams showed more in his couple games in my opinion and was unlucky to be dropped for the game vs bunnies. It's not the first time - but I cannot see what Price is seeing in Witt. He is a backup half / utility...and serves a purpose in that role...but I am bemused at how he is now our automatic choice at no.7

Williams seems bound for the wilderness, I can see Kyle getting a go soon...at least he will straighten the attack

GT0007

Juniors
Witt had an u happy game against the Rorters but we had no possession or field position, it wasn't a good day to be a half. I'm sure Williams will get another shot at some point though someone said in the forum they saw him in NSW Cup and he's not playing to NRL standard. Of course that is subjective and IMO he wasn't far off the standard for NRL.

st.phil

Bench
he's not awful but if your gonna pick a short term half, 34 year old who is almost certainly here for one year, he better be pretty damn good otherwise you eat the bar and allow a younger half to get experience.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Witt had an u happy game against the Rorters but we had no possession or field position, it wasn't a good day to be a half. I'm sure Williams will get another shot at some point though someone said in the forum they saw him in NSW Cup and he's not playing to NRL standard. Of course that is subjective and IMO he wasn't far off the standard for NRL.

That was me that said about WILLIAMS, but i did note that was 2 games ago against the warriors so he may have played better this week .As i have discussed about Williams before i think he has the most potential but dont think he will realise that potential in the cutters,maybe im overrating him , but Ive seen nothing from Witt thats a great deal better than WILLIAMS. IMO WITT wouldnt get a spot in any other NRL CLUB.

dwight12

Juniors
I agree that Witt may not be the most productive 7 offensively. But if we think our defence sucks at the moment with Witt in the side, it will be alot worse with Williams there.

Country Dragon

Juniors
I agree that Witt may not be the most productive 7 offensively. But if we think our defence sucks at the moment with Witt in the side, it will be alot worse with Williams there.

Witt had a few very ordinary attempts at tackles on the weekend also, by the way I'm not fussed on Williams either. I hope Style can make a go of it if/when given the chance!

GT0007

Juniors
he's not awful but if your gonna pick a short term half, 34 year old who is almost certainly here for one year, he better be pretty damn good otherwise you eat the bar and allow a younger half to get experience.

BTW Witt is 30yrs old not 34yrs as you quoted St Phil which does make a difference however I do agree with you unless Witt starts showing some more I'm inclined to use Williams as he wasn't that bad, it was just a couple of errors of judgement which normally a coach would just whisper in his ear not drop him. I think it was the fact he dropped 2 balls cold the week before taking on the defense which made him look like he wasn't tough enough for 1st grade.

That was me that said about WILLIAMS, but i did note that was 2 games ago against the warriors so he may have played better this week .As i have discussed about Williams before i think he has the most potential but dont think he will realise that potential in the cutters,maybe im overrating him , but Ive seen nothing from Witt thats a great deal better than WILLIAMS. IMO WITT wouldnt get a spot in any other NRL CLUB.

In Williams defense against the Warriors we were getting smashed by 30 in the 1st half. I don't recall how involved he was in the come back but after a slow start to the year the Cutters are climbing the table and now sit at 5th and only 1 point off the top position and also in striking range in regard to differential. So you would expect with the talent we have playing in the Cutters.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Witt had a few very ordinary attempts at tackles on the weekend also, by the way I'm not fussed on Williams either. I hope Style can make a go of it if/when given the chance!

He(STANLEY) will need to learn to pass left to right if he is to make a go of it ,he is poor in that area at the moment, but he is a better defender , i just cant see him there.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Williams is the best halfback at the club. The fact that he's being stuck in Cutters is ridiculous. Word is that he is completely demoralised by Price, who simply doesn't rate him and won't budge on it.

dragonreddy

Juniors
BTW Witt is 30yrs old not 34yrs as you quoted St Phil which does make a difference however I do agree with you unless Witt starts showing some more I'm inclined to use Williams as he wasn't that bad, it was just a couple of errors of judgement which normally a coach would just whisper in his ear not drop him. I think it was the fact he dropped 2 balls cold the week before taking on the defense which made him look like he wasn't tough enough for 1st grade.

In Williams defense against the Warriors we were getting smashed by 30 in the 1st half. I don't recall how involved he was in the come back but after a slow start to the year the Cutters are climbing the table and now sit at 5th and only 1 point off the top position and also in striking range in regard to differential. So you would expect with the talent we have playing in the Cutters.

Yep thats a fair call by you GT as always ,he tried a few more things in the 2nd half but still looked to be down on confidence.I'm hoping that he improved this week and keeps improving but on what i saw 2 weeks ago it wouldnt warrant promotion ,though with Prices logic after that loss that may happen if you follow the pattern with the halfback changes so far this year.

Godz Illa

Coach
I don't know what game you were watching but I thought Williams helped us back into the Warriors game, along with Garvey. Those two were clearly the classiest players in the team

dragonreddy

Juniors
Williams is the best halfback at the club. The fact that he's being stuck in Cutters is ridiculous. Word is that he is completely demoralised by Price, who simply doesn't rate him and won't budge on it.

Agree, as i've stated in other posts i thought he looked to be lacking confidence, got make you wonder why MANAGEMENT bought him, way to F..K A young blokes career Price !!!

dragonreddy

Juniors
I don't know what game you were watching but I thought Williams helped us back into the Warriors game, along with Garvey. Those two were clearly the classiest players in the team

YES i said that he played better in the second half of that game but still not great, thought the overall performance of the team was pretty ordinary that day ,just my opinion.

love my saints

Juniors
Funny how everyone has dismissed kyle as a half when the kid hasnt been given a run there... yet williams, who has had a number of games and done sweet f**k all is rated as the best half we have.
The logic really shines through.....

possm

Coach
I believe it's the game plan rather than the players. Even Widdop has looked ordinary over the past couple of games.

Dice Price and get someone who knows what to do and I'm sure you will see a big difference in the performance of our team.

There is so much damage being done to our Club/team right now and it pains me to see it continue. Surely enough is enough.

Dezziedc

Juniors

I suspect he wasn't dropped because he made a couple of errors in judgement or dropped balls. I am guessing that Price had ear-marked Witt as the starting half from the get go.

The couple of weeks of having Witt in the cutters was to get some game time under the belt after an injury before bringing him back into first grade - which seems as though it was always going to happen.

Both are on 1 year contracts so neither have a future at the club at this point in time. I am guessing Price is trying to get some seniority in the halves in the hope this will solidify some structure in the attack and some control on the field.

Minh

First Grade
It's a Price selection, should have been Williams for at least a month or two. Quinlan had one shot and then was dropped. Now Price selects Green ahead of Runciman and Mata' Utai, why recruit these type of players for.......:roll:

TheRev

First Grade
None of them are clear standouts as selections, all 4 prospects were torn apart on the forums this season (fans seem to have a memory of about a fortnight)... the biggest positive is that Kyle is finally in the Cutters halves jersey where he can try to develop the skillset, and either make it or be offloaded.

Doesnt really bother me which Price goes with, aslong as it fits in with his game-plan... its far from our biggest issue imo, Witt is perfectly competent to build a structure around.