What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ok my gears have been officially grinded this morning.

The today show 'the grill segment' hosted by Karl and has 3 female social commentators were talking about the packer gyngell fight. Not once did they condone it, all they did was laugh it off as a joke, the girls said it was great and it was just a bit of testosterone. They went on and on about how its good that guys can sort their issues out like this etc etc.

I wonder what their comments would have been if it was 2 rugby league players having a scuffle on the street? I highly doubt they would be laughing it off. What a joke. Double standards much.

I couldnt agree more.

Whenever there is a brawl in Rugby League, the game gets criticised for promoting violence and kids look up that and they compare it to the punch ups in Kings Cross.

Yet we see two multi millionares having a punch up in public, and some people just laugh it off as if its ok.

Cant say Im surprised its Ch 9.

bobmar28

Bench
Channel Nine could give us more games and more live games but they are doing a great job. Much better than Foxtel and it's free.

Chook

First Grade
Channel Nine is the home to Rugby League just as I am the greatest poster this forum has ever seen.

Because I say it doesn't make it so.

Chook.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
They also offer nothing their coverage. No live stats, no boxed replays, piss poor camera work and commentary. They have barely changed their coverage in a decade, its so far stuck in the past its not funny

undertaker

Coach
They also offer nothing their coverage. No live stats, no boxed replays, piss poor camera work and commentary. They have barely changed their coverage in a decade, its so far stuck in the past its not funny

Personally, I think their game coverage was much better a decade ago. Although their two matches were on delay at the time, at least they showed the stats throughout the game, had player interviews at the end of the match, and the single Friday night game was a marquee event - far better than the two Friday night game system, which is just an excuse from Ch9 to show the Broncos into QLD. It sorta devalues the prestige that Friday night footy used to have.

Their camera work has definitely declined since they started back in 1992. You could say that the camera work was better back then compared to now.

Last edited:

azsportza

Live Update Team
People know they aren't the home of Rugby League.

Fox Sports by nature alone treat the NRL with the respect it deserves. Look at their coverage, live in HD and their camera work is second to none.

They have two roaming sideline cameras, plus the additional cameras on the high rise posts behind the goals. They have corner cam (while doesn't show much, it's an additional view of the game).

Fox Sports have a host of actual footy shows, NRL360, NRL Try Time, Sterlo, pregame shows with Matt Shirvington (why he is a host I've never know) and Monday Night with Matty Johns.

Channel 9 in the original TV deal were suppose to provided additional content on their digital channels each week, we are still yet to see it.

azsportza

Live Update Team
I feel this has meme worth value.

Rabs and Gus laughing during half time today at ANZ.

Attachments

• Rabs-and-Gus.jpg
    Rabs-and-Gus.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 24

undertaker

Coach
People know they aren't the home of Rugby League.

Fox Sports by nature alone treat the NRL with the respect it deserves. Look at their coverage, live in HD and their camera work is second to none.

They have two roaming sideline cameras, plus the additional cameras on the high rise posts behind the goals. They have corner cam (while doesn't show much, it's an additional view of the game).

Fox Sports have a host of actual footy shows, NRL360, NRL Try Time, Sterlo, pregame shows with Matt Shirvington (why he is a host I've never know) and Monday Night with Matty Johns.

Channel 9 in the original TV deal were suppose to provided additional content on their digital channels each week, we are still yet to see it.

I agree with you regarding the positives of Fox. I've been calling for a show similar to the highlights package the EPL in the UK produces and was a huge breath of fresh air when the NRL introduced the "Try Time" program. And yes, Matt Shirvington should be nowhere near the NRL coverage.

The only things I don't like about Fox is them stuffing up the whole lower-grade RL system - giving the NYC precedence over NSW Cup for years before that was changed this year - and taking away Sunday afternoon matches.

azsportza

Live Update Team
The only things I don't like about Fox is them stuffing up the whole lower-grade RL system - giving the NYC precedence over NSW Cup for years before that was changed this year - and taking away Sunday afternoon matches.

It's all mixed around, sometimes it's NSW Cup first up and then NYC, other times it's the opposite. The NRL originally stated this year that NSW Cup would play second fiddle to NRL and not NYC. Eitherway, only a very small fan base actually tunes in for lower grades.

oikee

Juniors
There is a certain biase towards the way the game is broadcast around the country and a picture in yesterdays paper of David Gydgell and Eddie Mcguire is way to cosy for me and presents a picture of why our code struggles for inches in the southern markets.

The Storm had 10 years at the top of the comp and instead of promoting this to the Melbourne audience, it was shut away. same as coverage across 3 states. Victoria South and west Australia.
Rugby league next TV deal has to cut ties with channel nine for the health and expansion of the game.

Next deal has demand games be shown with local teams of the Storm and new Perth team shown live on FTA each week, no excuses any more. We live in a world of massive competitions trying to gain our attention.
Rugby league must be allowed to compete and be shown as our product is one of the best made for TV.

That is our biggest selling point in these markets. Time to cut the strings of Eddie and Gidgel.
They are way too chummy for my liking. Gidgel has never liked league, and it shows with his contempt for the code.

nrlnrl

First Grade
It's all mixed around, sometimes it's NSW Cup first up and then NYC, other times it's the opposite. The NRL originally stated this year that NSW Cup would play second fiddle to NRL and not NYC. Eitherway, only a very small fan base actually tunes in for lower grades.

it seems like NSW Cup is played first only when there are Warriors home games this year

goodplayer

Juniors
ch 9 sunday footy show is pathetic . ok on sunday 3 nrl game left . 2 on sunday both at 2 pm. 1 on monday 7pm .

yet the crap show only mentions 1 game at 4pm . never mentions the other 2 games at all

these muppets are ffked

any one watching the show would think only 1 game left this round , crap

disgracfull tools

While Fox is better than 9, I still think Fox could do way better with Rugby League than what they are doing. Why doesn't Rugby League get the same respect from Fox that AFL does with their own channel and countless original programs based on AFL? Fox Footy Channel has their own version of Americas Game (A 1 hour show remembering the superbowl winners season for every season in existence, stories told by the players and coach). Why doesn't League have this? The only thing I have seen close to that was the Broncos 2000 season on Fox Sports Gold.

_snafu_

Immortal
How can a TV station call themselves "the home of rugby league" when they only show 3 games, two of which are delayed?

azsportza

Live Update Team
How can a TV station call themselves "the home of rugby league" when they only show 3 games, two of which are delayed?

It's traditional marketing. Claim something before your competitors do it.

Similar to what Volo did with it's cars, they claimed to be the safest car on the market when cars were becoming common place. Were they the safest? Maybe, but they jumped before anyone else did and made it their own. Channel 9 are doing the same with "Home of Rugby League".

azsportza

Live Update Team
Channel 9 ran a "tribute to the fans" pre-game of the Bulldogs match.

I felt like it was a little slap in the face because they haven't cared really about the fans.