What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Price was not right but timing is for push to bring Wayne Bennett back to Drago

TruSaint

Referee
Hi TS

Bennett by his own standards has not been as successful at the Knights as would have been expected so I guess it will be about if he is 1: still challenged by coaching or if he is 2:looking for an over seeing role. Option 2 sees him at the Broncos and returning home. Option 1 could see him return to us as a coach for 2-3 years whilst putting the infrastructure in place for the future (coaching staff , jnr development etc) and become the mentor long term from his Brisbane base. Having said this according to RL articles today that have read the goss is Neil Henry is favourite to secure the gig.
It would be prudent now that they have sacked Price to announce a coach of the above caliber asap and then I bet you see the team lift. My opinion only.

Dubs, I see your point.

It has merit. Having watched Ikin for a while, either option sounds feasible.
Just my gut tells me after the debacle at the Knights, there's no "place like home".

As to Slip's comments re Bennett leaving us in a shamble, then same could be said when he left the Broncos to come to us.

What he did leave us with is every piece of silverware available. I for one hold no ill feeling to Wayne.

DUB888

Juniors
Dubs, I see your point.

It has merit. Having watched Ikin for a while, either option sounds feasible.
Just my gut tells me after the debacle at the Knights, there's no "place like home".

As to Slip's comments re Bennett leaving us in a shamble, then same could be said when he left the Broncos to come to us.

What he did leave us with is every piece of silverware available. I for one hold no ill feeling to Wayne.

I guess we should remember Bennett wanted a 5 year contract and our Grand Poobar signed him for 3 , How different things may have been.

As an outsider looking in, I would not rule out family issues as something which may influence Bennett and what he does. He could well decide he wants to be closer to his family who, and correct me if I'm wrong, are still in Brisbane. That could tell against St George being able to sign him.

mickeylane

Bench
Bennett to return
Scott also with Chanel Mata'utia
Boyd to Titans
Smith to retire

Up until last week Browny was sounded out who knocked the job back in the media ...and Neil Henry was the 2nd option .. Now that Bennett is back on the market and Laurie Daley to get the chop after NSW get hammered yet again it's put a diff spin on who they can recruit to coach.. Its a buyers market ...
Here is the betting market iMO from the boards perspective.

5/2 - Laurie Daley
5/2 - Neil Henry
7//2 - Tim Sheens
9/2 - Wayne Bennett
11/2 - Jason Taylor, Kevin Walters
13/2 - Ian Millward
7/1 - Jim Dymock

Saint69

Juniors
Bennet to put the same coaching structures as he did when he left after 2011? No thanks.

I have lost all faith in Bennett's judgment in coaches after Price. Would like to know what he saw in Price to think he would cut it in the NRL?

Browny left the team in a great state for the new coach. Bennett left it in tatters.

IMHO Bennett recommended Price only as an interim measure until Bellamy was available,when that fell through with no other viable option,as in an experienced coach being available Price was given an extension for this year and dramatic improvement would have been required to trigger the clubs option on Price for next season.

possm

Coach
Up until last week Browny was sounded out who knocked the job back in the media ...and Neil Henry was the 2nd option .. Now that Bennett is back on the market and Laurie Daley to get the chop after NSW get hammered yet again it's put a diff spin on who they can recruit to coach.. Its a buyers market ...
Here is the betting market iMO from the boards perspective.

5/2 - Laurie Daley
5/2 - Neil Henry
7//2 - Tim Sheens
9/2 - Wayne Bennett
11/2 - Jason Taylor, Kevin Walters
13/2 - Ian Millward
7/1 - Jim Dymock

I'd say:

3/2 Bennett - likes the $$$ no matter what he says and is the Club's favoured preference.

5/2 Sheens - will settle with the Tigers to be available and would be the Club's second choice.

5/2 Smith - would have been the first with his hand up and is a good re-building coach.

7/2 Daley - wants a head coach job and 2015 is a good time and the board rates Daley very highly.

7/2 Henry - would rather be a head coach than an assistant and is good value for money and Doust likes that.

Anyone else would be at long odds.

Last edited:

Dragoness

Juniors
Bennet to put the same coaching structures as he did when he left after 2011? No thanks.

I have lost all faith in Bennett's judgment in coaches after Price. Would like to know what he saw in Price to think he would cut it in the NRL?

Browny left the team in a great state for the new coach. Bennett left it in tatters.

Was thinking the same. I have a lot of respect for him & whatever he put into our players heads in 2010 to believe in themselves is what won it for us.. But I feel his time at Newcastle hasn't been impressive...

blacksafake

First Grade
I too thank Wayne for all he did for us but IMO it is time to move on.He did leave the club in a bit of a shambles likewise the broncos.I would hate to see him come back in & clean out some juniors for seasoned players in the hope of quick success, I'm also not so sure whether the game has moved on from his methods.For me I would be happy with Henry,Taylor,possibly Sheens but certainly not any of the others mentioned.Just maybe Doust has somebody else in mind as recent times has shown that he can pull a swifty ?

pinkmoon

Juniors
I too thank Wayne for all he did for us but IMO it is time to move on.He did leave the club in a bit of a shambles likewise the broncos.I would hate to see him come back in & clean out some juniors for seasoned players in the hope of quick success, I'm also not so sure whether the game has moved on from his methods.For me I would be happy with Henry,Taylor,possibly Sheens but certainly not any of the others mentioned.Just maybe Doust has somebody else in mind as recent times has shown that he can pull a swifty ?

I think Newcastle is a bit of shambles in comparison to our club, and he did make a prelim last year with that shambles, proving that he still has what it takes at the elite level. However, he came and conquered, and I don't think he'd be the slightest bit interested in coming back to St George to try and do it all over again.

Stagger Lee

Bench

I really don't get this

You wonder if the game has moved on from Bennet but then say you would be possibly happy with Sheens? FMD :lol:

He left the club in shambles? an often stated myth bordering on bullshit. His contract was up and he left with every trophy available to St George nicely polished and on display in the cabinet. That the club board did not prepare itself properly for his departure is hardly his fault.

He took Darius (lap dog) Boyd with him. Some others had to leave due to salary cap issues and that their contracts were up - don't forget the bending of the cap to get Gasnier back.

And as for his performance at Newcastle, he was a game away from a grand final with a team reputed to be well under the cap last season. Tinkler and his money issues did not just happen this season. Bennet has performed very well at Newcastle.

getsmarty

Immortal
Players must shoulder blame for dismissal: Creagh

By MITCH JENNINGS

May 27, 2014, 9:08 p.m.
RUGBY LEAGUE

St George Illawarra captain Ben Creagh said the Dragons players must shoulder responsibility for Steve Price's demise, as they try to bounce back from a horror month against South Sydney on Monday.

St George Illawarra captain Ben Creagh. Picture: ANDY ZAKELI

Creagh had yet to speak with Price after the board's decision to terminate his contract on Monday and said the playing group were surprised by the decision.
"It was a pretty tough day finding out your coach is being let go midway through the season," Creagh said.
"It's not a good feeling for anyone in the club. It's not something as a playing group you want to happen.
"It's upsetting for Pricey because a lot of us are pretty close to him and have been through a lot with him and known him for a long time.
"We know how much hard works he puts into his job and how passionate he is abut coaching so we know how tough he'd be doing it," he said.
The Dragons conceded 108 points to 20 in their past three games and Creagh admitted the playing group felt a degree of responsibility for Price's sacking.
"Ultimately it comes back to the players. Our performances and the results of our performances determine the fate of a coach so we do have to take some responsibility," Creagh said.
"Yeah coaches have an influence over a team with game plans and whatnot but there's 17 players out there on the field every week playing for one another and playing for their club and their fans."
Creagh admitted his side has been low on confidence after the horror month that ultimately coast Price his job but hopes a fresh start under interim coach Paul McGregor can rejuvenate the Dragons' finals hopes.
"He [McGregor] brings a lot of respect," Creagh continued. "He brings a lot of knowledge too and played a lot of games for the Dragons and at the highest level.
"He's someone I've looked up to and a lot of young guys in this team have looked up to for a long time as well. That's a big thing as a coach.
"He's done everything in the game and he's a very smart coach so I really do hope we start performing under him. There's no excuse why we shouldn't."
McGregor named a 19-man squad on Tuesday for his first game in charge against the Rabbitohs that sees Creagh shift to the front-row, Lesson Ah Mau moves into the back-row alongside Joel Thompson.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...t-shoulder-blame-for-dismissal-creagh/?cs=302

Latest posts