What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Holy f**k.

I'm traumatised.

Oberyn was a brilliant character. Why kill him?!

He totally owned the giant turd. Ugh, I've flat out never been this devastated over a tv show episode.

The good guy never wins in this show. Ever.

George R R Martin is basically a sadist. He invents a compelling, interesting, and genuinely 'good' character who has noble motives, and kills him later in the same book.

He's so intent on breaking convention, that I feel like it will become predictable when he kills characters later in the series.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I actually preferred it. There was less of an obvious 'this is an important scene' feel to it, so the gravity that it did have felt far more organic.

Apey

Staff member
George R R Martin is basically a sadist. He invents a compelling, interesting, and genuinely 'good' character who has noble motives, and kills him later in the same book.

He's so intent on breaking convention, that I feel like it will become predictable when he kills characters later in the series.

I think the show/books have done a pretty good job at f**king with people.

Tywin says Tyrion can be sent to the Wall, you think Tyrion will get out of this after all.

Tyrion requests a trial by combat and nobody will be his champion at first, so you start to think Tyrion is f**ked.

Oberyn steps up, Tyrion is probably going to be okay, because Oberyn is awesome.

Oberyn is being too cocky pre-fight, so you start to think they're setting it up for Oberyn/Tyrion to be f**ked up the behind.

Oberyn is kicking ass and has The Mountain seemingly down and out, back to thinking Oberyn/Tyrion will be okay.

Mountain crushes Oberyn's head, he be dead, oh no now Tyrion is f**ked for sure.

... soon they will find out Tyrion isn't f**ked.

Apey

Staff member
I actually preferred it. There was less of an obvious 'this is an important scene' feel to it

Really? Tyrion's fate was about to be decided and this was (supposed to be) his emotional reflection on that. I'd say they were on par but obviously it was less 'epic' because it was private rather than public.

It ended up going nowhere and was dragged out way too long for me. I felt like it didn't serve a purpose at all (or rather didn't successfully achieve its purpose) and if it had been say Daenarys making that speech, people would have fallen asleep.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Holy f**k.

I'm traumatised.

Oberyn was a brilliant character. Why kill him?!

He totally owned the giant turd. Ugh, I've flat out never been this devastated over a tv show episode.

The good guy never wins in this show. Ever.

f**kkkk, I hope you guys are doing that thing you were doing earlier and making shit up to wind everyone up on the spoiler front. Going to watch it now (forgot it was back).

Tommy Smith

Referee
Sorry dude but I don't think that's a spoiler as this thread is about the tv show i haven't read the books so I'm only commenting on what is currently happening on the show.

Not in a million years would I come in here without being up to date on the tv shows.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Yeah this thread is about discussing the TV show, a lot of the talk happening just after a new episode has been watched. I'm pretty sure when Joffrey died everyone was talking about it in here immediately.

Tommy Smith

Referee

It seems that way.

The death of Ned Stark was brilliant and served a purpose. And it let people know that the show would continue to be totally unpredictable and break the conventions.

And even the deaths of Robb and Catelyn seemed 'right'. They had a long run and it was done beautifully.

But to me killing off Oberyn at this early stage is just overdoing the whole 'breaking the conventions' approach as you said. Martin is basically just being a dick, here.

He was a brilliant and charismatic character with endless possibilities as a good and honourable protagonist to sort of pick up where Robb left off in a sense as the chief opposition to Tywin.

And to me if Tyrion lives then his death serves no purpose. It's just a waste of perhaps one of the top two or three characters in the shows history.

As a viewer it almost feels like Martin is taking the piss. Just trolling his readers/viewers. No surprise that from all reports book 4 sucked. Maybe it would have been better had he not killed Oberyn off!

Tommy Smith

Referee
I should also add that when Oberyn was demanding a confession, I thought the Mountain was going to say that he had no idea wtf he was on about and that it was Tywin who ordered or raped and murdered his sister.

Which would have set the stage brilliantly for the battle between Tywin and Oberyn as the no.1 arcing storyline.

Hey it's George's book and i'm no writer but that would have made more sense to me. It's bloody hard work creating a truly great character so it was a brave gamble killing him off so needlessly which has obviously backfired based on book 4.

Ok rant over im dribbling now.

HowHigh

Coach
It seems that way.

The death of Ned Stark was brilliant and served a purpose. And it let people know that the show would continue to be totally unpredictable and break the conventions.

And even the deaths of Robb and Catelyn seemed 'right'. They had a long run and it was done beautifully.

But to me killing off Oberyn at this early stage is just overdoing the whole 'breaking the conventions' approach as you said. Martin is basically just being a dick, here.

He was a brilliant and charismatic character with endless possibilities as a good and honourable protagonist to sort of pick up where Robb left off in a sense as the chief opposition to Tywin.

And to me if Tyrion lives then his death serves no purpose. It's just a waste of perhaps one of the top two or three characters in the shows history.

As a viewer it almost feels like Martin is taking the piss. Just trolling his readers/viewers. No surprise that from all reports book 4 sucked. Maybe it would have been better had he not killed Oberyn off!
Agree with all that

Apey

Staff member
Not sure how to say this without spoiling, but imo his death does serve a purpose. It's just not very obvious at this point.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Just watched it. I actually didn't think it was that good an episode, til the end.

But what an ending it was. I knew what would happen. But in the book Gregor smashes his face in with his fist, not by eye gouging. I like how the directors put in these subtle changes which shock even the book readers.

Loved Arya laughing at Sandor.

Sansa looks sexy with dark hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.