What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Not sure how to say this without spoiling, but imo his death does serve a purpose. It's just not very obvious at this point.

I'm surprised they didn't allude to it in the episode.

I guess this is a spoiler in a way, but I assure those who are upset about his death, that this wasn't just George RR Martin being a dick.

RHCP

Bench
I think it served the purpose of getting the confession out of The Mountain. Obviously he didn't give much of a shit, but there's no way he would lie on his back, do what Oberyn wanted and then let him slash his throat.

Big Tim

First Grade
As a viewer it almost feels like Martin is taking the piss. Just trolling his readers/viewers. No surprise that from all reports book 4 sucked. Maybe it would have been better had he not killed Oberyn off!

No spoilers I promise:

Part of the book 4 "sucking", is that it focuses on characters that are not widely liked, and is very much about setting up the story of the favoured protagonists. It is almost like most of Robb's season 3 TV story. Boringly necessary.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Really? Tyrion's fate was about to be decided and this was (supposed to be) his emotional reflection on that. I'd say they were on par but obviously it was less 'epic' because it was private rather than public.

It ended up going nowhere and was dragged out way too long for me. I felt like it didn't serve a purpose at all (or rather didn't successfully achieve its purpose) and if it had been say Daenarys making that speech, people would have fallen asleep.

I think the purpose was that it was pointless, and I liked that it was realistic. Who says everybody about to die has something epic or amazing to say? He's afraid he'll die, but all he can think of to talk about is that stupid riddle.

10/10 on the unintended pun

:lol:

Not sure how to say this without spoiling, but imo his death does serve a purpose. It's just not very obvious at this point.

Not having the greatest recollection of the less than awesome fourth book, what was that purpose again?

Looks like they are sticking with the 9th ep being the epic ep formula

[youtube]ndaAxHh4cjA[/youtube]

I have heard the entirety of the episode will take place at Castle Black, which leaves King's Landing stuff to be 'resolved' in episode ten.

Sansa looks sexy with dark hair.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that.

No spoilers I promise:

Part of the book 4 "sucking", is that it focuses on characters that are not widely liked, and is very much about setting up the story of the favoured protagonists. It is almost like most of Robb's season 3 TV story. Boringly necessary.

Add to that the fact there was some entirely unnecessary filler in there to pad out the storylines of these unloved characters, and you've got it.

timka4

Bench
I can't explain the feels after watching that last bit. Like most people have said, saw it coming before it happened. I've seen way worst shit in various media forms and never flinched, but this I can't explain why; was f**king insane! lol great show

Misanthrope

Staff member
It takes a lot to make me want to look away, but when the Mountain dug his fingers into his eyes and he started screaming, I did have to look away.

The head exploding wasn't nearly as hard for me to watch.

Wato

Juniors
Great episode. On book four I am in the minority and loved it probably second to only the third book imo, but that's because it focused on characters I love especially Sansa, Cersei and Jamie.

Apey

Staff member
I think the purpose was that it was pointless, and I liked that it was realistic. Who says everybody about to die has something epic or amazing to say? He's afraid he'll die, but all he can think of to talk about is that stupid riddle.

I watched it again and it just annoyed me how dragged out it was. When a monologue reaches a certain point in length in this show I feel like it needs to have a better point :lol:

I can just imagine after a minute or so Jaime is like "what the f**k is with this guy and beetles?"

Not having the greatest recollection of the less than awesome fourth book, what was that purpose again?

tbh I haven't even read the books but spoilers don't bug me at all so I have been reading a fair bit about what happens to various characters. I'm just too lazy to read the books but too impatient to wait a f**king week for the show. I will probably start reading them this summer - I have them, but I find it hard to enjoy reading when I'm studying.

1. What happens to The Mountain - the whole point of Oberyn's character (in the show at least) has been about him getting revenge for his sister which he has seemingly done. Regardless of The Mountain's true fate being unknown, people pretty much assume has got justice/is going to get justice eventually due to the pain he has put him through/maybe causing his death. Realistically I don't think you could expect him to get one over someone like The Mountain without paying a large price.

2. Something I know pretty much nothing about but what I figured GKD was alluding to was The Mountain's confession puts Tywin in hot water.

From the wiki

Despite Gregor's victory, Oberyn achieves his revenge for his murdered sister as he had coated his spear with a deadly poison which resulted in a long, agonizing death by mortification for Ser Gregor.
Tywin Lannister faces huge political ramifications from the results of the trial, especially Gregor's confession. Tywin fears Dorne might join Stannis Baratheon, which could prolong the war for years. Tywin planned on having Gregor executed to appease House Martell, but needed it to be seen that the King's Justice is the one who carries out the deed, not poison. Tywin commands Grand Maester Pycelle to heal Gregor, but Pycelle's efforts prove fruitless.

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
1. What happens to The Mountain - the whole point of Oberyn's character (in the show at least) has been about him getting revenge for his sister which he has seemingly done. Regardless of The Mountain's true fate being unknown, people pretty much assume has got justice/is going to get justice eventually due to the pain he has put him through/maybe causing his death. Realistically I don't think you could expect him to get one over someone like The Mountain without paying a large price.

2. Something I know pretty much nothing about but what I figured GKD was alluding to was The Mountain's confession puts Tywin in hot water.

From the wiki

From what I recall the Mountain does not die.
Qyburn somehow saves him, and he will be Cersei's saviour as a member of the kingsguard

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah, what Tim said. There are some farther reaching implications on the Dornish side of things, but I'm in the minority in actually enjoying the chapters about the Sand Snakes and other such drama.

Wato

Juniors
From what I recall the Mountain does not die.
Qyburn somehow saves him, and he will be Cersei's saviour as a member of the kingsguard

He dies as they take his skull back to drone. Robert Strong is Cersei's saviour and it is speculated that this is the reanimated corpse of clegane.be

Misanthrope

Staff member
He dies as they take his skull back to drone. Robert Strong is Cersei's saviour and it is speculated that this is the reanimated corpse of clegane.be

I recall him becoming Robert Strong, but how does that work if they've sent his skull back to Dorne? I assumed it was a fake to placate them

Wato

Juniors
I recall him becoming Robert Strong, but how does that work if they've sent his skull back to Dorne? I assumed it was a fake to placate them

Faking the skull would be rather hard as it's quite large although Roberts may be passable but I assumed and from what I have read most assume he dies and qyburn brings him back somehow. He does not speak and refuses to show his face even to Cersei why do this if it is just Gregor her loyal servant, there is something more sinister.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Faking the skull would be rather hard as it's quite large although Roberts may be passable but I assumed and from what I have read most assume he dies and qyburn brings him back somehow. He does not speak and refuses to show his face even to Cersei why do this if it is just Gregor her loyal servant, there is something more sinister.

I suppose given the way in which Qyburn 'creates' Sir Strong, he doesn't really need the original head...

Wato

Juniors
I suppose given the way in which Qyburn 'creates' Sir Strong, he doesn't really need the original head...

Strong is that a bastard name from the stormlands? Perhaps he will link back to Robert in some way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts